Brewer Fanatic

why not go for it?

DrWood

why not try to make a "big" trade that will increase the chance of winning the division, even if it is acquiring a rental player like AJ Burnett for someone we could have longer-term? Trade Capuano and a 10-ish prospect or two for Burnett?

Never really know which year will be our best bet to win something significant. Don't want to let it pass by without doing whatever it takes to win.

Maybe let the season play out for awhile, then acquire someone to fill an exposed need?

I wouldn't be averse to seeing the Brewers pull the trigger on a big trade at the right price. Having said that, I don't think Capuano + a ~10 prospect could land AJ Burnett. At the value of players through free-agency and trades nowadays, we'll have to offer up more MLB-ready (or close) talent with higher ceilings to land any type of talented and established starting pitcher.

I don't think we have the ammo to make a big trade anymore. We're not going to trade anyone on the current roster, and other than LaPorta, none of our prospects are really a can't miss type player. I don't think Capuano or Bush plus Gillespie Cain or Salome is going to net us anyone that will put us over the top.

why not go for it?
Because the Brewers need to sell tickets for the next 10 years. Not just this year.

The Brewers need to be relevant every year to maintain a fan base. Their is significant danger is loading up for one year while mortgaging your future.

I don't want to go back to a losing club. I would rather watch meaningful baseball every year than one championship run every 20 years.

why not go for it?
Because the Brewers need to sell tickets for the next 10 years. Not just this year.

The Brewers need to be relevant every year to maintain a fan base. Their is significant danger is loading up for one year while mortgaging your future.

I don't want to go back to a losing club. I would rather watch meaningful baseball every year than one championship run every 20 years.

Bingo, I don't want the Brewers to be the Florida Marlins. Don't get me wrong, a championship would be awesome, it's what you play for, it's the reason we're fans. But the key is getting to the playoffs. Anything can happen once you're in. Sustained success can give you multiple opportunities to win a World Series. If you sell the farm for one shot, you could well be dooming yourself to another long stretch of meaningless baseball, and it's far from a guarantee that one more guy (a la Bedard) would put you over the top. Too much can go wrong over the course of one season.

1. I would not want Burnett and his injury burdened body. He is more of an injury risk than Sheets each year.

2. Dont think the Blue Jays will take Cappy and a prospects that we have for him. They would likely do it for one of the younger hitters on the roster Hardy, Hart or someone like this. DM would never do that IMO.

3. Like most of said this regime is looking for a long term product and not a year or two window and then back to non winning hell.

there is a wide continuum between making a single trade for short-term interests and the binge and purge history of the Marlins. Just seemed another one-year guy could help level out the salary for the team, since all the young guys are starting to hit arbitration and their salaries will be increasing. Burnett seemed to be an obvious choice to me since the jays aren't going to get to the playoffs this year and he is available for the right price. Other players are in similar positions.

The question with Burnett would be his health. Everyone assumes it will only be a one year rental, but if he gets injured, then he won't opt out and we would be stuck with an albatross of a contract for an injury-riddled pitcher, at a cost of whatever it first cost to procure him and then the cost of not extending one of our young guys.

If there's a "go for it" trade before the deadline this year, I would think it would be an older player, possibly in their last year, on a team that is clearly out of contention. These are bad examples because I think the Tigers (Kenny Rogers) and D-backs (R. Johnson) seem like they're going to contend this year. But you probably get my point and I'm sure someone can come up with a better example.

The other problem is that MLB may be in a situation similar to last year where many teams believe they can make a run at the playoffs. There weren't many terrible teams, so most were at least somewhat viable for the playoffs by the trade deadline and were afraid to give up a piece that could potentially cost them a run. I understand things could be very similar this year. But ya never know....

MoneyballMan wrote:

The other problem is that MLB may be in a situation similar to last year where many teams believe they can make a run at the playoffs.

If I reacall correctly this has been the case for a few years now and I would bet it is the case again next year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

• 2 weeks later...
there is a wide continuum between making a single trade for short-term interests and the binge and purge history of the Marlins. Just seemed another one-year guy could help level out the salary for the team, since all the young guys are starting to hit arbitration and their salaries will be increasing. Burnett seemed to be an obvious choice to me since the jays aren't going to get to the playoffs this year and he is available for the right price. Other players are in similar positions.

I agree that they're not going to make the playoffs, but they likely think they COULD. They've got some great young arms, and that in and of itself could give them some confidence that they could make a run. Every year there are teams that nobody thought could win. This Blue Jay team isn't really that far off from being a contender...and they would be were it not for the Yanks and Sawx.

• 2 weeks later...
where you been fan? spending time with Jeffress, getting clean? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

LOL...nope, just been busy. That, and my laptop wasn't working(overheating), so I haven't had it when I've been out and about.

Archived