Brewer Fanatic

Sheets - Type A Free Agent?

MillerParkSouth
Given Benny's well documented issues staying off the DL, is he going to merely be a type B free agent? I read a lot of things saying we should just let him play the year out and bid him farewell for high draft picks, but is it even a lock that we're going to get anything more than a sandwich pick? If that's the case and Parra is performing well in AAA, might we just be better off trading him at the deadline for more?
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Interesting question. It'd be tempting to deal him at the deadline if he's healthy & pitching well then, but had missed enough time prior that his status as a Type A was a long-shot or worse. However, that's a lot of 'ifs'. My hunch is that if he misses enough time to make him slip to Type B, there's not going to be a good haul coming back our way in terms of a trade... plus teams might feel better just letting him play out the season & trying to sign him as a FA, since he wouldn't cost them a pick - not to mention they'd have a better idea of his health by waiting.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If he makes 28 starts this season and keeps his ERA around what a 3.50 then he will be a Type A..... Just like if Gagne saves 30+ games for the Crew this year then he is a Type A as well...he actually just missed Type A status this past year....it also depends on what Starters are Free Agents.... if Sheets is in the TOP 20% of the Free Agent SPers than he would be a Type A.... With Santana no longer being a Free Agent after the 2008 season...then thats one less top notch Free Agent....

Gagne may have a tougher time getting Type A status because KROD and Nathan are both Free Agent Closers...... Turnbow could actually end up being a Type A Rp like Linebrink was....I think this is his last year under contract...

The Problem is I think we still need Sheets.... Sheets and Gallardo gives a nice 1-2 punch that not many teams can beat.....and would be huge in the playoffs.... if he gets hurt then he becomes much cheaper and can resign him cheaper....or just let him go for a sandwich pick....

I hope Parra is performing well in MLB....I'm not certain what stats are considered for starting pitchers. Tom Glavine was the sole A-class starter, with Livan Hernandez and Freddy Garcia being the B's this year (how is a rubber-arm like Livan still without a contract?). Sheets rate stats would clearly put him in the A category.

If Sheets is doing well and healthy in 2008, he'll probably end up an A. If he's not, there won't be many clubs desiring him.

Given Benny's well documented issues staying off the DL, is he going to merely be a type B free agent? I read a lot of things saying we should just let him play the year out and bid him farewell for high draft picks, but is it even a lock that we're going to get anything more than a sandwich pick? If that's the case and Parra is performing well in AAA, might we just be better off trading him at the deadline for more?

If the Brewers are in a pennant race and they should be I don't really think there is any senario where the Brewers would be better off trading Sheets in the middle of the year unless they got something they needed more this year in return. You don't give up a top of the order pitcher when trying to get the playoffs for the first time in a 1/4 century. The risk is too great. It would undoubtably make it harder to get to the playoffs and if you fail you can expect fans to stop showing up the next several years. If they do anything to jeapardize their chances this season I certainly would have a hard time believing they are serious about winning. If that's the case then why should I bother following them? I'd get more satisfaction banging my head agianst a wall. At least I know that pain will stop.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I hope Parra is performing well in MLB....I'm not certain what stats are considered for starting pitchers. Tom Glavine was the sole A-class starter, with Livan Hernandez and Freddy Garcia being the B's this year (how is a rubber-arm like Livan still without a contract?). Sheets rate stats would clearly put him in the A category.

If Sheets is doing well and healthy in 2008, he'll probably end up an A. If he's not, there won't be many clubs desiring him.

This looks to be the Free Agent Pitchers list for 2009

Starting pitchers

A.J. Burnett (32) - can opt out after '08 season

Paul Byrd (38)

Ryan Dempster (32)

Jon Garland (29)

Tom Glavine (43)

Orlando Hernandez (43)

Randy Johnson (45)

John Lackey (30) - $9MM club option for '09 with a $0.5MM buyout

Esteban Loaiza (37) - $7.5MM club option for '09 with a $0.375MM buyout

Braden Looper (34)

Derek Lowe (36)

Greg Maddux (43)

Pedro Martinez (37)

Matt Morris (34) - $9MM club option for '09 with a $1MM buyout

Jamie Moyer (46)

Mark Mulder (31) - $11MM club option for '09 with a $1.5MM buyout

Mike Mussina (40)

Brad Penny (31) - $8.75MM club option for '09 with a $2MM buyout

Oliver Perez (27)

Andy Pettitte (37)

Kenny Rogers (44)

C.C. Sabathia (28)

Curt Schilling (42)

Ben Sheets (30)

John Smoltz (42) - $12MM club option for '09

Tim Wakefield (42) - perpetual $4MM club option

Woody Williams (42) - $6.75MM club option for '09 with a $0.25MM buyout

Randy Wolf (32)

From that list, barring any major injuries, I think you can strike Penny & Lackey. I just can't see any way (obv. short of injury) their teams don't exercise those options. Sheets looks pretty good on that list imo, injuries or not. Save Sabathia, there isn't one guy I'd rather have for a mid- to long-term contract than Ben. Kinda puts his injuries in perspective - at least his shoulder & arm are healthy!
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

From that list, barring any major injuries, I think you can strike Penny & Lackey. I just can't see any way (obv. short of injury) their teams don't exercise those options. Sheets looks pretty good on that list imo, injuries or not. Save Sabathia, there isn't one guy I'd rather have for a mid- to long-term contract than Ben. Kinda puts his injuries in perspective - at least his shoulder & arm are healthy!

I wouldn't mind seeing Oliver Perez in a Brewers uniform. Does that make me a bad person? = (

if Sheets is in the TOP 20% of the Free Agent SPers than he would be a Type A....

You already caught this, but I just wanted to reinforce that the ratings are handed out to all players. The free agent type classification isn't just pooled from the players that are eligible for free agency.

if Sheets is in the TOP 20% of the Free Agent SPers than he would be a Type A....

You already caught this, but I just wanted to reinforce that the ratings are handed out to all players. The free agent type classification isn't just pooled from the players that are eligible for free agency.

Yeah my mistake on that... and its based on 2 seasons of work....that above list is based on stats from 2006 and 2007......... When Sheets is a Free Agent its based on his 2007 and 2008 stats....

So Sheets actually just missed being a Type A free Agent....this last period and thats with only 17 Starts in 2006...and 24 in 2007...if he can keep the ERA around the same as this year 3.82...and start 30 games... then he would be a TYPE A.....I think pretty easily..

Archived