Brewer Fanatic

Amtrak -- Empire Builder

Fatter than Joey

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My aunt and uncle have taken this out to Seattle and loved it. Although they would recommend taking the train out there and then flying back - the train ride can get pretty long on the way home.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

We took the Empire Builder to Seattle in summer 2006, because I am averse to flying. The length of that particular trip (I think it's 44+ hours from Columbus to Seattle, probably similar if you're going to Portland) is about as long as I'd ever care to be on a train; however, it was otherwise very enjoyable. Once you get out by Glacier National Park, the scenery is terrific.

For a trip of that length, I agree with pitchleague: get sleeping accommodations, either a bedroom or a roomette. The bedroom has its own toilet and a wee bit more room. Either sleeping option includes meals in the dining car, which I would classify as decent-cafeteria quality. There are menu choices that are kid-friendly enough for most. With just two in your traveling party, you'd be seated with others for meals, which is (usually) an interesting way to meet people without having to make a commitment to them.

We've been on the Empire Builder, the California Zephyr (got off in Denver) and the Southwest Chief (got off in Flagstaff), and all three have been good experiences. The Zephyr was a few hours late on the return trip, but we've otherwise stayed within about minutes of being on time - which for 24-48 hour trips seems entirely reasonable to me. If you have the time and the money, I say go for it.

FTJ, please PM me if you have other questions.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

only word of advice I have is don't go coach. Get a sleeper.

I've done both and I found I had the same problem in both places: cramped, somewhat uncomfortable "bedding" and the movement of the train doesn't change because you're in a sleeper. Not to mention the additional few hundred dollars part.

I took the Amtrak out to Glacier Park from WI back in 2001 so I could work in Glacier Park for the summer without worrying about a car. I have nothing spectacular to say about the route, but I probably got off the train as soon as the scenery was starting to get good. I do think it is something that people should experience at least once. It's a lot less of a stress than driving or flying with the freedom of moving from car to car, however it takes longer than both of those other options.

Also, it may have just been my luck, but I remember a man gettting extremely rowdy in the smoking section of the train and being kicked out at Havre, MT. That's something you don't really see in an airplane or your car.

Archived