Brewer Fanatic

What if the Cubs were contracted?

logan82

So I was thinking the other day, yes it hurt, what if the Cubs got contracted? I know they won't, but it is fun to speculate.

First I would be surprised. Who wouldn't? The Cubs wouldn't be a team anybody would expect to get contracted. They have plenty of money and popularity. Then I would be very happy. Time to party. Then I would feel a little guilty about being so happy while other people were miserable. Then again, who cares, it is the Cubs. Happy again. Lastly confusion. Now who do I hate? I mean if you are a fan you have to have a rival and ours just got contracted. Who is our rival now?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

There are several other teams that could form natural rivals with the Brewers: Twins, White Sox (who I know a lot of people already dislike) and the Cardinals.

Personally, for me it would have to be the Cardinals, as they're relatively close, in our division and seem to beat us more than we beat them. It would be nice to play your "rival" more than 6 times a year. Of course, we can always just hate the Yankees...

I'd be surprised, then sad for a handful of people I know who are genuine Cubs fans (the way we are genuine Brewers fans).

I clearly remember making a short list of teams I might choose as my new favorite, had Miller Park not been approved by the legislature. That was a close call and I had decided early on that if the Brewers had relocated, the new franchise would automatically become my Anti-franchise, to be forever hated, possibly more than the Cardinals and Cubs. So I wouldn't wish contraction on any genuine fans, even genuine Cubs fans.

After feeling bad for genuine fans for a bit, I'd think of the legions of arrogant casual fans in cubbie nation and just might dance a jig at their sorrow.

Incidentally, my new rival would be STL, at least until the Brewers someday have a hand in destroying their postseason dreams in the 11th hour.

(And for those of you who wondered, my short list of teams I had considered adopting in lieu of the Brewers was mostly small or smallish-market: Minnesota, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Kansas City, Cleveland - though not necessarily in that order. I guess I've always rooted for the little guy.)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Side-question: How would you feel about the Cubs' fanbase (largely made up of the arrogant fratboy / ignorant sorority girl types, as you know) potentially jumping on the Brewers' bandwagon? It'd be gool to have a "Brewer Nation" that suddenly got huge like that, but at the cost of turning the Miller Park parking lot into amateur hour for every game??? Probably not worth it....
"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

It seems like the Cubs in Chicago are less of a baseball team and more of a social event. They consistently sell out regardless if they have good, mediocre, or bad teams. Knowing this, what motivation do Cub owners and general managers have to build a winning franchise? They really don't have to commit to winning to turn a profit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived