Brewer Fanatic

Yost utters first oxymoron of season

JohnBriggs12
I was listening to Fox Super Sunday this weekend, and a comment was made that caused me to think about Benny. The guy said, "weak football clubs have a habit of signing expensive players who have injury histories." He gave several examples of prominent players, and then showed the economic fallout that dooms teams no matter if the injuries are flukey or not.

derflotr wrote:

If you're just nitpicking about the wording, I don't think it's fair to pick on Ned for making a baseball-manager-statement, especially when we all know what he means by it.

Unfortunately when it comes to Sheets and or Yost, fans are all too eager to jump on any little comment they make and pick it apart. The fact is every manager makes stupid cliché type statements and most just take it for what it is.

Without having read the rest of the thread, I would like to hear how a torn finger tendon could be caused by poor conditioning.

It concerns me is that the organization has not come to terms with the reality that their star pitcher has proven to be somewhat frail and to expect full seasons out of him is being at the least very optimistic. I wouldn't expect them to express that publically but at the same time I would hope they wouldn't insult my intelligence with such remarks every February.

He used the word "luck". I think that's misleading though I'll acknowlegde that Yost isn't the first manager to speak in those terms. If all he would have said was Ben looks and feels fine now, that would have been sufficient.

So let me get this straight. You acknowledge that the Milwaukee Brewers are never going to come out and bad mouth Ben Sheets, yet when they make a fairly vanilla statement, you take that to mean they're sticking their head in the sand? I guess the 13 starting pitchers the Brewers have for insurance reasons would lead me to believe they've "come to terms" with the fact that Sheets, after being very reliable and a workhorse has had a couple injuries since then.

Honestly though, I have to say, I almost never read anything in the least bit positive about the Brewers from you. I don't understand this incessant pessimism, jumping on any comment, and just generally not giving the Brewers the benefit of the doubt in almost any situation. I mean, this very thread is about Yost saying that he thinks Sheets has had a "pattern of bad luck" and he thinks he'll be healthy rather than saying "he feels fine and he looks good right now".

It just doesn't seem like it takes a whole lot to get you fired up and firing shots at the Brewers.

Call me stupid but I don't see the oxymoron. One can have a pattern of bad luck. If one has a random string of injuries and they are all of the bad luck type that is a pattern within the random events. It's not a predictive pattern which might be what JB meant but once a series of events happen then looking back on it a pattern may show itself. Perhaps it's how one defines the word pattern or, like I said, I'm just stupid.

I wouldn't expect them to express that publically but at the same time I would hope they wouldn't insult my intelligence with such remarks every February.

I don't think it's about insulting someones intelligence as much as using cliche coach speak to avoid any unwanted media storm that usually happens when a manager tries to talk frank. Saying even the obvious in a way that isn't normal coachspeak can cause more trouble than it's worth so why do it?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I don't understand this incessant pessimism

I don't understand unbridled optimism. Some people are half-empty, some are half-full. JB12 is one of the most solid posters on this site.

I think his observation with "pattern of bad luck" was interesting and note-worthy.

To be fair, JB12 is usually more like 3/4 empty so I do agree with Gopher, it gets a bit over the top somethimes. That is just how some people are and it is fine since he seems to actually like the team unlike certain other posters who seem almost happy when something goes wrong with the Brewers.

Brewguru2, I think it would be best that you take a step back from this for a little while. I have no idea why you're getting so worked up over this, but there's really no reason for you to personally attack other posters. It's against the site guidelines and will earn you a strike if it goes any further.

You're correct. I apologize.

I'm just tired of people taking everything and anything Yost says and turning it around to say how much of an idiot he is.

I didn't read through this whole thread, but I'll give you my feelings on it:

--If Sheets has more than one trips to the DL, or is on the DL for at least a month or so, I will continue to think of him as frail.

--If Sheets misses 1/3 of his starts or more this year, I will be pissed that the Brewers weren't able to be creative and get something of value for him.

Of course I left out the scenario of Sheets staying healthy all year, because then it's just because it's his contract year. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif And if that's the case I hope it ends up meaning the Brewers make the playoffs.

Fatter than Joey wrote:

I don't understand unbridled optimism. Some people are half-empty, some are half-full. JB12 is one of the most solid posters on this site.

I think his observation with "pattern of bad luck" was interesting and note-worthy.

Ok, I'm not sure exactly what your point is with the "unbridled optimism" comment was about, I was simply questioning why he almost always has to take a situation, even a extremely harmless, vanilla statement and turn it into yet another Brewer-bashing, Yost-bashing thread.

So I don't know if that unbridled optimism was directed at me or not, but I don't see what your comment has to do with anything. It' as though you're suggesting that because there are some overly optimistic posters, that you somehow NEED those negative posters.

And finally, I guess I have to disagree with you. I don't see what was interesting about his observation, or noteworthy about it. I don't know what's interesting about a manager saying what probably 29 other manager in the game would say in the same situation, or what's noteworthy about him saying that Sheets has run into some back luck. But again, that's not really my point. My point was and is the need to quickly pounce on anything that anyone in the Brewers FO says.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
My Corn Flakes were soggy this morning. I blame Ned.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

So I don't know if that unbridled optimism was directed at me or not,

No -- not at you specifically. I do want to clear that up. I was only saying I don't relate well to the overly optimistic, and I don't expect myself or them to change.

It' as though you're suggesting that because there are some overly optimistic posters, that you somehow NEED those negative posters.

Nope. What I am saying is that we are all hard-wired differently. Some people are pessimistic some are optimistic -- we don't NEED either pessimistic or optimistic posters, we HAVE them by default with our large community -- we shouldn't be asking people to be different as long as they are civil, and JB12 while you may not ever agree with him, almost always brings a solid well-thought out point of view to the community here.

And finally, I guess I have to disagree with you. I don't see what was interesting about his observation, or noteworthy about it. I don't know what's interesting about a manager saying what probably 29 other manager in the game would say in the same situation, or what's noteworthy about him saying that Sheets has run into some back luck.

Ned Yost has a history of making head-scratching comments that you will never hear from the other managers. For example, "I put Greg Aquino in the game because he fields his position better". "Pattern of bad luck" is a similar type of statement.

My point was and is the need to quickly pounce on anything that anyone in the Brewers FO says.

Anything that comes out of DM's or NY's mouth gets over analyzed here regardless of the subject matter -- that is the nature of this board. If Doug Melvin said "I am really impressed with Gabe Kapler" you can bet there will be a 30 page thread here worrying about Mike Cameron getting cut in ST. If Ned Yost said "I like Turkey sandwiches" we'd have a 30 page thread wondering what happened to cheese sandwiches -- it's the way we roll here.

Yost could have used a better word than "pattern" certainly. But while that quote might point to his lack of eloquence, I don't think it's an example of flawed logic.

"Pattern" is not an antonym of "luck". If something displays a pattern, it could still have been created by a random phemena. Sheets' injury history could point to an underlying "frailness" that increases his probability of injury, or it could simply be a "pattern of bad luck". Yost obviously thinks it was the result of bad luck.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
William H Macy had a pattern of bad luck in The Cooler.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Archived