Brewer Fanatic

Bar tickets for Opening Day

mtrebs
I used to order my Opening Day tickets online the first day individual tickets were available, but as you all know that isn't possible any more. So for the last two years I have been stuck having to get an Opening Day ticket package thru a bar. I went to Saz's party two years ago and to the Leff's Lucky Town party last year. Anyway, I'm up in the Stevens Point/Plover area and I've been checking these bars' websites regularly for the last week or so and I haven't seen any ticket/party packages available yet. I'm assuming these will sell out quickly so does anyone know if any bars have any Opening Day ticket packages available yet? I've been to every Opening Day since 1999 and can't miss one! Thanks.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm also looking to buy a bunch of tiks. We used to do a group purchase of like 40 tiks every opening day, but they aren't able to do that this year. Saz's isn't having their thing this year, they can't get tiks either. Leff's supposedly will have tickets but they don't know when. They just say to watch the website.

Thats the fun of it, unless you're around a bunch of college kids that act like idiot drunks. I'm with ya mtrebs, haven't missed a opening day since '99 and don't plan on missing it this year. I did Saz's 2 years ago also, and last year went through Colonel Hart's (a block from Leff's). Their package was the cheapest of any of them. Their luncheon wasn't the greatest and the bus ride took forever due to traffic, but they were decent bleacher seats.

Austin 5:29

Life never slows down, so always make it exciting #moveit

while the bar trip is not usually ideal, i can offer these reviews:

- i went with axel's once. chock full of drunks. sitting around them was miserable.

- i went once with mcgillicuddy's and the other bars that guy owns. this crowd was surprisingly a bit older. the set up was more sensible, and the people were bearable.

these were both a few years ago now, but should be fairly accurate. i'd say the best gauge of what the crowd will be like is to think about what the crowd at the bar is like when you go there.

speaking of the drunks, and not to derail the thread, but does anyone know if they are planning on limited the amount of people in the parking lot? that is my biggest irritation with opening day.

I thought I heard something about that last year. Only letting people with tickets go into the parking lot because last year people without a ticket went in and that left some people with tickets without parking places.

speaking of the drunks, and not to derail the thread, but does anyone know if they are planning on limited the amount of people in the parking lot? that is my biggest irritation with opening day.

I don't see that happening. There are too many variables that would make it logistically difficult. Plus it's one day a year and a full parking lot means maximum parking revenue so I don't see a major effort by the team to put something like that into effect.

to all those who have gone with a bar before, how expensive is it?

Last year at Leff's tailgate party we paid around $70 per person. It came with a Bernie's Terrace ticket (or maybe Terrace Reserved, but we were sitting very close to Bernie's Dugout) so the seats weren't that good. There were quite a bit of drunks there but that doesn't bother me too much. You also got all the food you can eat (low-quality mass-produced brats, hot dogs, and some other meats that I can't remember) and then all the beer you want. There was also a band in there. I would much rather just get tickets on my own and grill out by my car but this is still a good time.

There are some things that I really like about the party...mainly the port-a-johns. I remember many Opening Days where after drinking many beers that I thought I was going to pee my pants because the lines at the port-a-johns in the parking lots were extremely long. Even the bathrooms at Helfaer Field get way backed up. I wish the Brewers would get around one-hundred port-a-johns per lot on Opening Day. I remember one Opening Day we were parked in the lot north of I-94 and there were 6 port-a-johns in it (two on each end and two in the middle). It was rediculous. I paid someone to use their RV toilet. Anyway...at Leff's tailgate party (and at Saz's when I went there two years ago) I rarely had to wait more than 3 or 4 people to use the port-a-john.

mtrebs, I actually contacted the Brewers about this about three years ago, but it didn't change anything. Didn't think it would, but I tried.

At the Leff's party, I would say they have a good 50 port-a-johns and the lines don't get too bad until the end.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

the brewers have terribly mismanaged their group tickets for opening day it seems. i have been getting group tickets for the past 5-6 years and they have been getting worse and worse each year.

i understand their problem. they are including tickets to the opener with so many season ticket packages that it reduces the amount of tickets available to groups and the general public. a good team means more season tickets, which means less single game tickets available. miller also has a deal where they get a good deal of tickets for the opener (this is where leff's gets their tickets supposedly)

the team apparently does not have enough tickets to fill all of last year's group sales, and apparently are taking until possibly mid-march (!!!) to solve this problem. they had this problem last year also, but sent out information well before individual tickets went on sale.

i was told that nobody who got their tickets through the brewers has tickets yet, which is probably why bars are not selling packages yet.

now i have the dilemma of either:

A) telling friends to get their own tickets, then having the brewers tell me they have tickets for me, leaving me to eat extras (i know i can get rid of them somewhere, but that is not my intent)

B) telling my friends i will probably end up with the tickets, then not getting them and screwing everyone over

like i said, i understand their problem, but the way they are solving this is pretty poor. it sounds like something that involves coming up with a system to determine who gets how many tickets (season ticket holder, number of years being a group ticket purchaser, purchasing other group tickets throughout the year, etc.)

it is almost as if they are trying to get groups from last year to say no thanks to solve the problem for them.

Is there any advantage for the Brewers to sell group tickets for opening day over season tickets packages with the promise of opening day tickets? If there isn't (and no, it's no a rhetorical question, since I have no idea how it works), they are going to wait until the last possible second to commit to group tickets.

Is there any advantage for the Brewers to sell group tickets for opening day over season tickets packages with the promise of opening day tickets? If there isn't (and no, it's no a rhetorical question, since I have no idea how it works), they are going to wait until the last possible second to commit to group tickets.

No there is no advantage really.... if they add the Opening day Ticket into the Season Ticket packages then more Season Tickets get purchased.... I am surprised they went with the Opening day Ticket in the 9 game package.... They should have done 20 games and up....kept it at that... and then done the group sales.... as well.. thus forcing more people to pony up with the 20 game packages instead of a bunch of 9 game packages..and then having to end the opening day ticket in that package and the opening day ticket in the 20 game package as well...(I think they ended the Opening day ticket in the 20 game package this past Friday).....had they not done all the 9 game packages with opening day tickets they could have sold more of the 20 pack with opening day tickets......but who knows I have my tickets.... and my Tickets to Fenway... and to the Season opener at Wrigley s o thats all I care about....

I have done the Axel's Bar cruise on opening day..... it was alright....

I think the 9 game pack is perfect sense, and they're not too greedy. You have to remember there are a lot of people from the fox valley, racine, or madison area that cannot commit to 20 games. There's probably a lot of recent that are pretty jacked up from last season. Those people wouldn't have considered buying a ticket pack in years past that did this year.

I attended 30+ games the past few years, I missed out on the ticket pack because of financial reasons, was gonna get (and still am) gonna get a 9 pack for a birthday present (last thursday), but missed out on the opening day ticket because they ran out. I plan on camping out for tickets, and I'll be happy if I can get a standing room, though I'd much rather perfer a seat.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if you can get ANY game for that 10th ticket? I wouldn't mind getting the last game of the year over opening day. That game could potentially be the greatest Brewer game I'll ever see if it comes down to the last day against the Scrubs.

I think the 9 game pack is perfect sense, and they're not too greedy. You have to remember there are a lot of people from the fox valley, racine, or madison area that cannot commit to 20 games. There's probably a lot of recent that are pretty jacked up from last season. Those people wouldn't have considered buying a ticket pack in years past that did this year.

I attended 30+ games the past few years, I missed out on the ticket pack because of financial reasons, was gonna get (and still am) gonna get a 9 pack for a birthday present (last thursday), but missed out on the opening day ticket because they ran out. I plan on camping out for tickets, and I'll be happy if I can get a standing room, though I'd much rather perfer a seat.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if you can get ANY game for that 10th ticket? I wouldn't mind getting the last game of the year over opening day. That game could potentially be the greatest Brewer game I'll ever see if it comes down to the last day against the Scrubs.

yeah I believe its any game....but you probably should hurry on that one...because I am assuming after Opening day that last game might be the next popular one to pick...

I wouldn't mind getting the last game of the year over opening day. That game could potentially be the greatest Brewer game I'll ever see if it comes down to the last day against the Scrubs.

Not to sound completely Pollyanna, but Bikeage, I hope the greatest Brewer game you'll ever see is not a regular season game.

Getting back to your question, I'd guess most any non-home-opener game is eligible for the 9-pack freebie, space permitting. So you might want to act soon.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Last year, Saz's tickets went on sale the same day as the individual game tickets (or very close to it). So, in another week or so, you should see something on their site, I imagine. The Saz's package was well worth the $70 bucks last year, IMO.

Yeah all you can eat food... I am sure I could scarf down enough to make that 70 bucks WELL worth it...lol

This literally would have been my twentieth year buying group tickets for Opening Day and I am getting the round-a-round as well. Don't hold your breath on getting group tickets for the Opener this year Temke.

im not holding my breath, but i think something will become available...even if it is just a partial. like i said...it isnt the end of the world to me, i have my season tickets so i will be there.

the brewers ticket office has got real good at alienating their loyal fans at the expense of the bandwagon over the past couple years.

EDIT: didnt someone comment above that saz's is not doing a tailgate this year? they also had theirs last year in their parking lot with a shuttle bus to the game.

Archived