Brewer Fanatic

Riske - like an extra coach?

NYChez

I read in one of the baseball pre-season mag's than Riske served as a mentor and essentially an extra coach to members of the Royals' pitching staff. He is credited with Zach Greinke's turnaround.

Is this something that's well-known, or did this magazine somehow come up with a scoop?

It would be nice if, in addition to putting together some quality innings in the back of the bullpen, he could get Turnbow's and Gagne's heads on straight.

Actually, it's even better than I thought. This was on mlb.com:

KANSAS CITY -- Mike Sweeney is not the only player who could be playing his final game with the Royals on Sunday. Several players, most notably David Riske, are not currently under contract for 2008.

Riske, one of the key pieces of the Royals' rebuilding process this season, has a 2.45 ERA in 65 games, the best mark by a KC pitcher. He has also served as a mentor for the young staff, especially Zack Greinke.

"He has been a wonderful guy this year," general manager Dayton Moore said. "He has impacted our bullpen in a very positive way with his approach and his success on the mound. We want to have a good baseball team, and in order to have a good baseball team, you have to have people like him on it."

Riske, who has a $2.9 million player option for 2008, is examining all options before making a choice.

"I am enjoying myself here tremendously and all of the guys on the team and the front office," he said. "I know that I have had a pretty good year. I know that it is business. It is kind of nice that you had a good year and you are a free agent and you want to see what other teams think about you and what's it's like."

Riske's help to Greinke has proven especially beneficial.

Greinke was moved to the bullpen after a rocky six weeks in the rotation at the beginning of the season. Riske became Greinke's daily card-playing partner in the clubhouse and helped him improve his craft.

Under Riske's help, Greinke posted a 3.54 ERA as a reliever. Moved back to the rotation in late August, Greinke had a 1.81 ERA in six starts to finish the season.

"Riske was the first one who has taught me anything about pitching," Greinke said. "I have learned the simple things from some people like keep the ball down, but he is the first person to actually help me out. ... He is not the only reason, but without him, I don't think I would have pitched as good as I did this year. He had by far the most impact on me."

I hate to Split hairs but...CV is not a pitching Phenom....seriously his Ceiling is and always has been a #5 starter.....hell in 2006 at this time right now he was not in even in Baseball America's top 30 in the Brewer Org.... he was named to the 31st team though...guys who should be watched out for that did not make the top 30 in their org..... but he will always be a back end guy....

Yo and Healthy Parra and Healthy Rogers are pitching Phenoms....

Also with his mentoring skills it wont even be this year that the Brewers reap those rewards it will be next year.... I mean this year we have a very expirenced Bull pen filled with guys who have one year deals..... now next season we could have alot of young guys like...McClung, Pena, Jackson, Stetter and Choate all in the Bullpen...which is where Riske will come in and be the Mentor and help them out.

seriously his Ceiling is and always has been a #5 starter

That is going a bit too far. I don't expect CV to be much better than a #3 or #4 but the average #5 is a 5+ ERA. I do not think that is CV's ceiling at all.

Well I have seen CV discussed in Keith Law and Jim Callis' chats on ESPN and both times when asked what his ceiling is they have said 5th starter or Long Man out of Bullpen...

I mean he does not really have a plus pitch at all...at least in my opinion.. he tops out at 89-91Mph.... and has to have pin point control..... I think he has done very good but thats because he has only started 6 games each of the last 2 seasons.

His change is certainly a plus pitch, and if you're talking about 'topping out', it's more like 90-93 mph (nitpicking, I know http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ). He operates in the 88-91 range regularly.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

His change is certainly a plus pitch, and if you're talking about 'topping out', it's more like 90-93 mph (nitpicking, I know http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif ). He operates in the 88-91 range regularly.

I do like CV.... its just I am most worried about him then ANY other potential starter... just because he looks so good in those 12 starts he has had..... but I just think he is going to get the spot and do well in April...then get crushed from May on...

That's just pessimism! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif The only concern I have re. Villy is whether or not he can keep his BBs down as a SP. He really didn't do a great job (overall) in limiting BBs in 2007. If that problem persists, he could really log some long IP in 2008. I think considering his FB & CU, as long as he can mix in his other breaking pitch(es), he'll do just fine in terms of 'stuff.'

That is going a bit too far. I don't expect CV to be much better than a #3 or #4 but the average #5 is a 5+ ERA. I do not think that is CV's ceiling at all.

CV is a steal... given how he is pitching, I think he's a #3 starter.

By this time next year, Suppan's the fifth starter.

CV is a steal... given how he is pitching, I think he's a #3 starter.

By this time next year, Suppan's the fifth starter.

by this time next year I hope to see Suppan on another team.....his no trade clause ends after the season....if he has a decent year then some team would be willing to trade some prospects for him...even at 12 million for 2009 and 2010

erbacaine04 wrote:

by this time next year I hope to see Suppan on another team.....his no trade clause ends after the season....if he has a decent year then some team would be willing to trade some prospects for him...even at 12 million for 2009 and 2010

He still has a limited no trade clause even after that. He still can pick a certain number of teams each year he does not want to be traded to.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

It's funny how much an extra 2-3 MPH affect what people think of a guy. If Villanueva threw 91-94 and had the same exact track record and age, people would be talking about him as a potential ace. I'm not a scout, but I do know that the vast majority of MLB pitchers do not throw regularly in the 90s.

if CV makes the rotation this year, it should be as the 5th starter--his total inning pitched this year should be no more than 150-160. he pitched 123 innings last year. i think he starts in the pen, moves to the rotation with an injury, and is our #3 starter next year.

I agree that Villy doesn't have an excess of plus pitches. But the combination of those pitches, his poise, and his intelligence could make him a #3 pitcher for years. But I do agree that it's just as likely that he ends up a steady #5. I think for now I'd rate him even with Suppan who is a tweener 3/4 for me. Anybody believe he could develop into a #2? (me neither).

his total inning pitched this year should be no more than 150-160. he pitched 123 innings last year.

He pitched 182 1/3 in 2006... you think he shouldn't throw around 200 this year? The only reason I think he may start in the bullpen is to showcase one or two of Vargas/Bush/Cappy for a potential trade.

anakin--he did have big innings in 2006, at 3 levels mostly as a starter i believe--but if he starts all year, that is a big increase. lets say maybe to 175. i think he has the potential to be pretty good. you may be right about the trade thing, although because of the 3 guys who are getting paid that you mention is why cv may end up in the pen.

i hope it doesn't happen. i would like to see sheets, gallardo, suppan, cv, and cappy with cv the 5th, bush in pen, parra in aaa and vargas gone. i am really high on getting cv (and keepiking parra as a starter) into the starting rotation--remember capellan? a can't miss starter who has bounced around ml bullpens for several years ever since the brewers put him there? i would hate to see cv or parra end up with the same fate.

anakin--he did have big innings in 2006, at 3 levels mostly as a starter i believe--but if he starts all year, that is a big increase. lets say maybe to 175. i think he has the potential to be pretty good. you may be right about the trade thing, although because of the 3 guys who are getting paid that you mention is why cv may end up in the pen.

i hope it doesn't happen. i would like to see sheets, gallardo, suppan, cv, and cappy with cv the 5th, bush in pen, parra in aaa and vargas gone. i am really high on getting cv (and keepiking parra as a starter) into the starting rotation--remember capellan? a can't miss starter who has bounced around ml bullpens for several years ever since the brewers put him there? i would hate to see cv or parra end up with the same fate.

I dont think Cappllean was ever considered a cant miss Starter.....he was always thought of as a Future closer.... he did not start at all until last year when the Brewers finally stretched him out in Triple A...... now Jorge Dela Rosa he was suppsoe to be that really good Starter with #2 potential...

Now with CV you guys are basing this Ceiling projection on 12 total starts..... he never did much in the minors... in fact as of 2 years ago at this time he was not even in the top 30 in the Brewers Org.... 6 good starts in 2007 does not mean anything.... It just means that teams have not seen enough of him yet...

Now with CV you guys are basing this Ceiling projection on 12 total starts..... he never did much in the minors... in fact as of 2 years ago at this time he was not even in the top 30 in the Brewers Org.... 6 good starts in 2007 does not mean anything.... It just means that teams have not seen enough of him yet...

He had a career 3.27 ERA in the minors and a 1.10 WHIP while walking only 2.43 per 9 innings and striking out 8.92 per 9 innings. The biggest questions about him were his stuff and if it was good enough for him to succeed in the majors. I'm pretty sure hitters would've crushed him when he came up if his stuff wasn't good enough.

Now with CV you guys are basing this Ceiling projection on 12 total starts..... he never did much in the minors...

No, I'm not just using MLB numbers. And as trwi mentioned, he's done plenty in the minors to warrant praise. I'd say his numbers in MLB thus far have reinforced the success he had in the minors. As previously mentioned, I only think his BBs from last year are a concern - there's not much else to worry about, imo, with Carlos.

Archived