Brewer Fanatic

Study Abroad (reply #56...Saving Money?)

sbrylski

I've been to England, I've been to Ireland, and I'm going to say I'm most likely going to end up in Europe again sometime. Hence I kind of would like to go somewhere else. I still have a little while to decide where, I may change my mind.

As for RA, the private dorms I'd be in are very relaxed. There is no "policing" of the residents. The policy is that if you see someone drinking, assume they are 21. If they are doing something illegal, make sure they shut their doors. So I'm not to worried about getting on people's bad side due to my "authority."

But yes, it sounds like Study Abroad would be the way to go.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd personally love to study abroad. I'm still only a sophomore and would love to sometime in the next couple years, but I have a feeling money might be a problem. I guess like other's have said, if you have the money for now I'd jump on it.

Study abroad.

It's one of the biggest things I regret from seminary, not taking the opportunity to spend a year of study at Cambridge, while three of my classmates did. Did the RA thing, and it has value. But going to a place out of the ordinary and making the most of it is the way to go. And as most of the posters have indicated, this is about the only time that you'll have the opportunity without making major sacrifice and adjustment in your life.

Since you're looking at non-European, English-speaking nations, your options are limited to former British colonies in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc.). Remember that the standard academic year in those nations runs February/March--November/December, the "opposite" of our school year.

One option that I didn't see mentioned, but might be worth looking at would be the University of Hong Kong. I don't know what it would take to obtain a visa and what limitations there are on American students, but I believe that the university is an English-medium school. And being a former British colony, there would be an English-speaking population of decent size. (I know some posters have been to Asia, and they might be able to fill in more about that.) The Hong Kong option would mean an academic year that runs August/September--April/May.

The other thing that could affect your decision for next academic year are the university deadlines for application and acceptance, as well as the diplomatic/travel documents necessary to be an exchange student. If you haven't started working (if not approved) on that by now, it may not be possible for study in 2008-2009.

Hope that gives you food for thought.

Oh, and if it helps you make your decision, where I am right now it's sunny and about 70 degrees. How's the weather back in Wisconsin?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Highs in the 20's, 50% chance of snow showers, <1% chance of cruise missiles or suicide bombings. Enjoy Tel Aviv.

Actually it's plenty low chance of bombings -- it's been a really long time since any of that stuff has hit Tel Aviv, and couple that with the fact that, terrorism notwithstanding, there's virtually no violent crime in this country, I'm feeling plenty safe. I'm enjoying it just fine.

As someone who has done a lot of academic advising and teaching at UW-Madison, I feel obliged to chime in.

Don't get me wrong -- I think study abroad is cool. You get exposed to new people, places, etc., and the experiences you have will stick with you for a long time. Plus, you might not ever have another chance to live in another country, so there is something to be said for seizing the moment.

However . . .I would have a bunch of really practical concerns about how this relates to you, specifically.

1.) You're on your third school already. If you study abroad (and probably get 12 garbage elective credits), your graduation date probably is going to get pushed back even further. (This is even more of an issue if you're trying to get into a competitive major, or your major has hard-to-get classes.)

2.) Studying abroad has a way of complicating the choice of a major (or retarding progress in one) and limiting chances to find worthwhile internships, jobs, etc., on campus or nearby. You're really just going to tread water, academically and professionally.

3.) My general sense is that you're going to have a generally disconnected college experience if you spread it out over four campuses. You might not have as many lasting interpersonal relationships -- friends, faculty mentors, bosses, etc. Those things do matter, especially when, say, you're applying to grad school and need a recommendation letter.

Again, I'm not dissing study abroad in general. I just wouldn't recommend it for you specifically.

I have a couple of questions...

1. How much gets paid for as a RA at Madison? I was a RA and I was at a campus that was in the top 3 in the country in terms of compensation -- a year of RAing pretty much paid for 1 semester of tuition, all food, and housing.

2. Do you have to interview for the RA job or do you already have it? I know where I went the interview process was long and actually covered a few months. If there's an interview process, don't bank on getting the job -- it's all about who is doing the interviews and who they perceive to be a good RA. This isn't a knock on you, but it's pretty much like any other interview.

3. Do you know what you want to major in? I know it may sound strange, but I've landed several interview and job opportunities due to having the RA thing on the resume. It shows employers a certain level of responsibility -- especially for a recent grad. This may give you an in at company compared to your competitors.

4. Is money an issue at all? I know for me personally I didn't study abroad because I didn't want to have to take out any loans. I'm sure the experience is great, but I guess I go with the notion that Europe, etc. will always be there, but getting out of undergrad with as little loans as possible is huge. I have friends who will be paying their student loans off for years and years -- and that's a payment I save every month because I was able to get through undergrad with zero student loans in large part due to being a RA.

1. How much gets paid for as a RA at Madison?

Well its a private company, not affiliated with the university. Its a free room, free meals, and $200 a month.

2. Do you have to interview for the RA job or do you already have it?

A) I have a bit of a connection, and B) they appear alittle thin on applicants. Its no sure thing, but I like my odds.

3. Do you know what you want to major in?

I'm applying to the School of Business right now. Competitive, but I'm fairly confident in the resume they'll be looking at. And the School of Business offers their own study abroad program, so classes will line up pretty well.

4. Is money an issue at all?

Always a concern, but I'm not too worried. I'll be able to get by on just FAFSA aid, in all likelihood.

I was going to mention the resume piece with RA too, but as a business major the study abroad experience may be just as beneficial to you to put down as the RA experience. I'd go study abroad.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

University Housing is relaxed as can be. Like you said, a very lax policy on policing the underage drinking etc. With that being said, I'm a student at the UW as well, a sophomore, and ironically applying to the business school too as I type (at least the essay portion haha) and I'd fully recommend studying abroad. A couple of my roommates did last summer and last semester (China and Australia respectively) and both loved it. Almost anyone I've talked to about it has enjoyed the experience. Being an RA at a private dorm would be 100X times better than at one of the main ones, but I'd still take the opportunity to go abroad (although the private dorms are full of coasties and most of those girls are pretty attractive ha).

University Housing is relaxed as can be. Like you said, a very lax policy on policing the underage drinking etc. With that being said, I'm a student at the UW as well, a sophomore, and ironically applying to the business school too as I type (at least the essay portion haha) and I'd fully recommend studying abroad. A couple of my roommates did last summer and last semester (China and Australia respectively) and both loved it. Almost anyone I've talked to about it has enjoyed the experience. Being an RA at a private dorm would be 100X times better than at one of the main ones, but I'd still take the opportunity to go abroad (although the private dorms are full of coasties and most of those girls are pretty attractive ha).

Yeah, I've got to write my essay too.

Coasties can be good looking, but they cancel that out with their ridiculus fashions and annoying speech.

Study abroad and go without other students you know. Too many kids have their friends along with them when studying abroad, and it really diminished the experience of being in another culture. I took out a loan to study abroad and just made one of my final payments. I majored in international business and one of the pre-requisites was to complete a minimum 6 week study abroad. I finished all my course work in the states, and the only thing I had left to do was the actual study abroad. If you are lucky enough to structure it that way, I would highly recommend it. You will not regret it. If you have a serious girlfriend, I would rethink the study abroad. It's like spring break in a foreign country with people from all over the world.

both choices are great. study abroad is a life changing experience. i lived a year in lyon, france at an engineering institution. being now ten years detached from it, definitely the most incredible days. i hope you choose study abroad. curious, what country would you be studying abroad?

Well, after a few meetings, I've decided studying abroad is the way to go...

curious, what country would you be studying abroad?

That's my next decision. My options are somewhat limited by going through the Business School, and Australia is out because it costs close to 10k more than other programs. Ouch.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, now where to go? Narrowed it down to two top choices:

Sydney, Australia

or

Brussels, Belgium

Copenhagen, Denmark is currently my #3 (and cheaper, I believe)

(Other options I would consider would include Milan, Galway, Vienna, or Cairo)

Any suggestions?

Among your choices I would go with Brussels since it houses the primary institutions of the EU. The EU is still in its infancy, but they're growing in member states and the relative strength of the Euro make it more significant by the day. The value of any experience with the EU would repay you many times over.

As an aside, if you have any opportunity to study in Asia, specifically China, India or Indonesia I would say jump at it. Asia is still a mystery to so many westerners and I believe immersion is the best way to learn. Again, experience in any of the three nations I listed above will reward you monetarily and dramatically enrich you personally.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide.

I have heard that Australia is a blast, and, obviously, language would not be as much of an issue (although I assume that all instruction at any of these sites will be in English anyway, if it's a UW program). I don't know if I would pay $10K extra for it, though.

FIPS133's counsel seems excellent. The EU connections in Brussels would be excellent, and you'd be more centrally located for travel to other locales.

(And not to be a total advising nerd, but also think a little bit about the courses offered, how they fit into your plan, etc. I know that's not very sexy, but it's worth considering.)

(And not to be a total advising nerd, but also think a little bit about the courses offered, how they fit into your plan, etc. I know that's not very sexy, but it's worth considering.)

Definitely. I went through and ruled out all the programs that wouldn't offer a few somethings I'd need.

Among your choices I would go with Brussels since it houses the primary institutions of the EU.

Along with its centralized location, this is why I picked it over other European cities.

Wherever you go, do not go to Egypt!
Hmm, somebody's not telling the truth here somewhere.

"The truth is, the boy we hosted for nearly six months was eating for an hour and a half at every meal. The amount of food he ate at each meal was equal to six people,"

Archived