Brewer Fanatic

Study Abroad (reply #56...Saving Money?)

sbrylski
As you may know, I'm a 20 year old college student, just transfered to UW-Madison (college #3 already). Next year I have two options: Study Abroad for a semester or RA at private dorms. I can't do both, because they won't hire me to RA for just one semester. As an RA, I get paid to live there. Study abroad I get to travel but pay double living expenses and tutition. Just wondering if anyone had any insight into my decision. I have a feeling about which one will be recommended...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Do you have to do one or the other?

Yes. I can't really put off studying abroad another year due to curriculum. I suppose I could RA the following year, but I'd no longer be a resident, and I'm not sure I'd want to do it anymore.

Where would you be studying abroad?

My criteria is kind of: English speaking, non-Europe nation. Kind of narrows it down to Australia. But I definitely have time to change my mind.

Which private dorm?

University House

As someone that has studied abroad(UK) and worked in another country (Japan) I do not think you have a choice. You may not realize this but a 10 years from now your life will be very different than it is now. assorted complications....Essentially, you have one chance to go abroad and take a chance on something. If you do not study/go abroad now you may never get the opportunity back. I struggled with going abroad while I was in college and can honestly say I have NO regrets. Dont worry about money..it comes and goes...worry about what will enrich your life.

My criteria is kind of: English speaking, non-Europe nation.
I hear Toronto is lovely this time of year.

Seriously though, if it will not financially ruin you, the time to travel the world is in college. Less commitments, and a lifetime to come up with the extra money it costs (not much in the long run).

Well, I'll say something good about the RA experience. I'm currently a RA at UW-La Crosse, and I highly recommend the experience. It obviously varies a lot depending on the type of residence life program that you have, but I have enjoyed my time so far as a RA and have learned a lot from the position. It gives the unique opportunity to help students make the transition from high school to college. I've found it to be very rewarding. Plus, you save a ton of money this way and it is a nice resume builder. You really do get to impact people's lives, though.

That said, studying abroad is an amazing experience and you can't go wrong in that direction either. I think it's a win-win situation for you.

Study abroad no questions asked!! You have to take those oppertunities while you can. I wouldn't worry about the student loans right now. I'm paying back 5 years of student loans including 2 semesters in Germany and I wouldn't ever take that experience away for any amount of money (well maybe not any amount).

Also, I know that RAs differ from campus to campus, but there was no way I would RA at the dorm I stayed in (at Montana State University). The whole staff was very strict when it came to disipline. I got written up 13 times and kicked out of my dorm and into an adjacent dorm. There is no way I would want to be in their shoes, forced to hunt down their peers and police them for insignificant conduct violations. I just don't have the heart.

I would also say that you shouldn't limit yourself to English speaking countries. Even with basic lessons in a foreign language, if you fully immerse yourself in the culture you will catch on fast enough.

I agree that if money isn't too much of an issue, then you shouldn't have to choose. I graduated UW in May of '07 and I'm now on a post-grad volunteer program in Tel Aviv and absolutely love it. I'm keeping relatively busy, I enjoy the work I'm doing in schools in poor neighborhoods and feel genuinely good about it. Try looking around and seeing what kind of post-grad programs there are -- you can probably find some scholarships for most of them -- so that you can enjoy your time in Madison and still get the going abroad experience. In my case, I didn't want to miss a moment of my four years in Madison so I decided to wait until after graduation to go abroad and I couldn't be happier with the decision. But at some point definitely take this time to travel because soon enough when the pressures of career and family take hold, you won't be able to (at least that's what they tell me).

Oh, and if it helps you make your decision, where I am right now it's sunny and about 70 degrees. How's the weather back in Wisconsin?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Don't be an R.A. unless you're willing to turn a blind eye to non-dangerous* booze infractions. I'm thinking of the children here.

* - if a kid is vomiting and unresponsive, by all means, call the authorities. But don't make people dump out an entire 1.75L of vodka because you caught a glimpse of it while passing by their room at 8 p.m. That's an easy way to turn an entire floor against you real quick.

Oh, and if it helps you make your decision, where I am right now it's sunny and about 70 degrees. How's the weather back in Wisconsin?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Highs in the 20's, 50% chance of snow showers, <1% chance of cruise missiles or suicide bombings. Enjoy Tel Aviv.

If you want to do some place exotic and beautiful without much culture shock, do New Zealand. I cannot recommend it enough. If you have any specific questions about New Zealand/Australia, send me a PM.

I've had friends that RAed and enjoyed it and others that didn't really. I haven't met anyone who didn't ultimately enjoy studying abroad - but I guess everything's what you make of it.

I'm 31, married and have a 4 month old child. I've always wanted to live abroad for a time. Not looking so good at the moment. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif Provided that you don't have to cripple yourself financially to do it, I'd study abroad.

Archived