Brewer Fanatic

Gabe Gross Audio Interview Lovin' Brewer Fans

Mass Haas

Keep in mind these are all pretty much on-the-spot answers...

Starts his offseason regimen in November. Started hitting in November this offseason (earlier than normal)

Toughest pitcher to face: Jake Peavy

-"He has the stuff... and my number"

-"When he's on, he can throw it in a paper cup."

-Tidbit- Peavy had signed to play at Auburn when Gabe was a Tiger, but obv. got drafted

Host mentioned many Auburn fans have taken to the Brewers as a sort of "adopted team" due to Gross. Fanbase in AL!

What's expected in 2008 for the Crew?

-"The biggest thing we're expecting is really to be riding the stick of the NL Central again."

-"Boy, you look back over a season of 162 games, and you can pick multiple games that you feel like, 'Ah - I can't believe that one got away from us.'"

-"Experienced youth" on the team - listed Prince, Rickie, J.J. Hardy, "several [young] guys that are very, very talented."

-"Our offense, I think, will be very, very good."

-"I think we've got pitching depth - in fact, I think we've got about 8 guys trying to figure out into 5 spots... our biggest thing, pitching-wise, is just staying healthy. If we can stay healthy, I really expect us to be in September chasing down a playoff spot."

How are fans in Milwaukee, & how do they compare to fans in other MLB cities?

-"That has been one of the biggest surprises to me - how much I've enjoyed being a part of that organization because of the fans. Milwaukee is really more of a blue-collar city... the best place to relate the values & attitudes & just everything about the South, the closest I've been around... somewhere else in the country is the Midwest."

-Fans are "very, very loyal... they enjoy rootin' for the Brewers win, lose, or draw, they love pullin' for Milwaukee - and they really appreciate when you do well for 'em."

-The only other fans he really has to compare: Toronto

-"Toronto has good fans, but Toronto is a hockey town. They love the Maple Leafs, and that was their #1 thing. If the Blue Jays did good, that was great, and if they didn't, you know, 'whoop-dee-doo!', so to speak. But Milwaukee, really, they're a baseball town. They love the Packers, don't get me wrong, but the Brewers are their team - and it's pretty fun to see their passion."

On the run at the playoffs in 2007:

-He'd been missing the competitiveness of his Auburn teams until the Brewers last year. This man sounds/ed hungry.

-MP filled almost every night to capacity - "Playing in front of a capacity crowd, it's always an electric atmosphere... just a spark in the air."

Opposing stadium Gross likes/loves to hit in:

-"The stadium I would most like to play in is Philadelphia. Not only is it a great stadium - I really enjoy the look of the stadium - it's just an extremely *giggles* good hitter's park."

-"Anywhere I go, the stadium could be terrible, but if it's a good hitter's park I'm gonna be happy about it."

-Revised favorite stadium to play in is Fenway - really looking forward to getting back there.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

No problem. What stood out most to me (aside from talk about the fans) was how hungry he sounded when talking about playing for a contending team again. Also, the way he laughed as he mentioned how great a hitter's park Citizens Bank Park is made me realize just how good it in fact is.

"The biggest thing we're expecting is really to be riding the stick of the NL Central again."

I think this means something about a stickshift, but Gabe's analogy choice could have been less... you know.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived