Brewer Fanatic

How did Lary Sorensen NOT die?

jaybird2001wi

Lary Sorensen, former Brewer pitcher, was arrested in Detroit for having a blood alcohol content of .48 percent. I remember a coroner in Waukegan, Ill. telling me the likely fatal BAC level is .35 or .375 depending on body mass indexes.

Wasn't he involved in the trade to St. Louis for Vuke, Simba and Rollie back in 1981? Makes me wonder how much drinking really went on in the Brewers' clubhouse during those days.

From the Wiki:

Unless a person has developed a high tolerance, a BAC rating of 0.20 represents very serious intoxication (most first-time drinkers would be unconscious by about 0.15) and 0.35 represents potentially fatal alcohol poisoning. 0.40 is the accepted LD50, or lethal dose for 50% of adult humans. For a long-time, heavy drinker, those numbers can at least double. In extreme cases, individuals have survived BACs as high as 0.914
Sorensen is a drunk, so he can survive that level, but he needs serious help, and needs to be kept away from cars before he kills innocent people.

While not common, I have seen some long term drunks in the .40-.50 range pretty regulary. There was one guy I saw back in the day (he's probably dead now) that would get the shakes whenever he went under .30. His regular level when he'd be found passed out and brought to the hospital was between .50 and .60.

I used to work as a Community Service Officer in Whitewater and every morning I'd read the daily log about the last night's big calls. I specifically remember a guy (a carnie in town for the 4th) who was arrested for public drunkeness and his BAC was in the high .4's. I made sure it wasn't a misprint.

I "get" alcoholism, but I don't get how someone gets arrested for drunken driving 7 times. The addiction compels you to drink, but you aren't concurrently addicted to driving.

Cabs are pretty cheap compared to the cost of a DUI arrest. I've been hammered a ton of times, and then I split the $8 cab fare home with a friend. Heck, even in the twin cities you can go from downtown to the burbs for $30.

.048 is almost nothing, so I doubt it's a misprint. Plus the article specfiically says he was 6 times the legal limit, and .048 is barely even half the legal limit. .480 is pretty unreal. But it is possible. The highest ever BAC known to man is actually from a Bulgarian man, at .914. If you can get a BAC to .480, you have a problem. So pretty clearly, he does.

His stat line from 1978 is very odd. . . A 3.21 ERA over 280.2 IP, just 14 HR allowed and 78 Ks. Hard to fathom a guy today getting 17 complete games in a year with so few strikeouts.

And now to 30 years later. . .It's a tragedy that he is incapable of helping himself. Addiction is so powerful.

But he seems to remain a danger to society, so he needs to be away from the rest of us.

I once had a breathalyzer during my college years. A few times I remember blowing about a .32-.35. And that's when I was still on my two feet and remember it. I'm sure I've hit .4 a few times. I definitely had a tolerance then. Can't quite do that anymore http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

A 3.21 ERA over 280.2 IP, just 14 HR allowed and 78 Ks. Hard to fathom a guy today getting 17 complete games in a year with so few strikeouts

Can you imagine what type of a contract those numbers would demand today?

I seem to recall an article about him a year or so ago, and it sounded like he was on his way to recovery. Sad to see that he has seriously regressed.

Archived