Brewer Fanatic

Tax refunds, what will you do with it?

jaybird2001wi

I jumped the gun a ton and e-filed my income tax return a little over a week ago and already received my Tax refund from the State and just now I logged onto my online banking and noticed they already deposited my federal. I now have $1,400 and here is what I did with it thus far:

1) Paid off an outstanding ticket in the City of Franklin dated November 2006 for driving my car with an expired registration. $83.80.

2) Paid off an outstanding ticket in the City of Racine dated January 2007 for the same offense. $94.90

3) Will finally attend my "class" so I can get my drivers license back. $200-300?

4) Splurged and bought a DVD, Third Watch: Season 1, on Amazon.com expected to be in my mailbox by Saturday.

5) Transfer about 600 bucks into a savings account as a "nest egg" for when I want to finally get another car. Maybe a down payment on a newer car or to buy a crap box car outright depending on my credit score.

6) Maybe purchase couple more DVDs or transfer another $250 into an interest-laden account and let it sit for a long time.

7) Joined match.com and put down a one-time fee of $100 for the next six months because I am currently looking.

Everyone is getting an "economic stimulus rebate" in April or May right?

since we had a kid last year we are expecting alot back. Neither me or my wife have outstanding dept, House, both cars and no balances on our credit cards, which at 30 is pretty nice. The joy will go away in April when we are adding 1000 sq ft onto our house and jump right back into a 100,000 construction loan which most of our savings and tax returns will go towards.

Payoff credit cards for sure. Its been long overdue, I filed my taxes on Wednesday and I am getting way more than I thought I would. $2,400 from federal and $1,100 from state. When your in college, aren't rich, and dont have time for a job, you can rack up that credit card debt quick. It will be an amazing feeling after I pay them off. I was thinking about taking a little chunck and getting a season ticket package, but I am undecided on that. It would have to be a weekend package and I am afraid that Ill have to full of a schedule to make it down to Milwaukee for the games

I filed my taxes last Saturday and have already received my state return. I'm doing nothing fun with it either, just adding a little extra when I pay off the monthly bills.
"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Thankfully, my Christmas bonus was enough to completely pay off all my credit cards and then some.

With the CC debt down to zero, the tax return gives me the flexibility to fly out to spring training and not put any of it on my credit card.

Maybe I'll make a bigger car payment.

Definitely spend a fair amount at the tavern, too.

I am spreading around the love. I got about 1500 dollars back total.

Finish off the Best Buy Credit Card

Finish off another credit card

Pay Rent

Got a gym membership (It makes me mad that as an employee of the University, that I do not get free gym access on campus)

Took the girl out to a real expensive meal

Save the rest for law school

getting around 4k back (no need to preach to me about how it is my money, etc...we just withheld way too much) so my list is pretty good:

adding heat to the basement and fixing some stuff there to make it more live-able...it is partially finished

paying back some money we owe to the in-laws

saving some money for the spring to do some much needed landscaping and renovations in the yard

getting the wife a new cell phone...maybe one for myself

spending what is left over on a new tv for me!

hopefully this is all done by march 20...the ncaa's on a nice new tv will be fantastic!

edit: this thread must have been a good omen for me. i filed in late january and the "where's my refund" site kept showing nothing. i just checked it and my refund should be out by the end of the month!

Still waiting for one document from American Funds. I'm getting a bit worried because it has been over a week since the 31st. But here is my economic stimulus plan: • Get a ticket to the Canadian Grand Prix (Hey, Canada's economy needs some help too) • Get a new suit tailored for my sister's wedding (I was hoping to get an old west suit like you can get from River Junction, but it looks like I'll have to settle for a modern day three-piece) • Get a new 160 GB iPod and sell my old 80 GB to recoup some of the cost (Anyone interested?) • Get the seats reupholstered in my 73 BMW (I think I'm gonna hold off on this one until I am certain I'll be keeping the car for the long term. It still hasn't proven to me that she's reliable.) • Have an antique radio restored for my sister's wedding gift • Give some money to my Aunt for doing my taxes every year (She deserves a nice gift) • Get the girlfriend something nice (Not a ring. Maybe some earrings.) • Get a new TV (Now that the Brewers' home games are in HD, it's time to finally get a nice TV. I've got my heart set on a 37" LCD. The girlfriend's gonna have to pitch in on this purchase.)

Not eligible for the rebate, thanks Federal Govt
You must one of those "rich" people.http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

We got about $860 back from the state but owed federal around $900. Coming out about even at the end of the year sounds good to me.

The girlfriend's gonna have to pitch in on this purchase.
I hope she's a keeper, then, because you'd hate for her to pitch in on a nice TV only to have her keep the TV in any split-ups/arguments/etc.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived