Brewer Fanatic

Is there any chance Sheets can be traded?

it would be bad PR to trade one your best players when you claim to be wanting to win-now. everyone would be thinking, "same old brewers, trading away their expensive players".

The only way I see it happen anytime soon is if it is part of a trade to bring in someone even more elite than Sheets. so really, no chance anytime soon.

it would be bad PR to trade one your best players when you claim to be wanting to win-now. everyone would be thinking, "same old brewers, trading away their expensive players".

The only way I see it happen anytime soon is if it is part of a trade to bring in someone even more elite than Sheets. so really, no chance anytime soon.

It would not be bad PR if Sheets once again is going through injuries and this team can get some pieces for the team to stay toward the top. If this team would collapse and not be in the race and moved Sheets for younger players I dont see it as bad PR.

He is no longer the best player on the team with Prince, Braun, and Hart in town. You could argue he is not even one of the top 5 faces of the frachise anymore as the young guys are taking over. Sheets's injuries have taken some of his glamour away from in a lot of fans eyes.

Well then consider this scenario

1. Ben Sheets is healthy and pitching well, ERA around 3.2 or so

2. Its the middle of June and the Brewers are about 10 games over .500 and in 1st place

3. Chris Capuano has rebounded with an ERA around or below 4

4. Gallardo is pitching awesome

5. No contract extension talks with Sheets

6. Josh Beckett, Chien Ming Wang or other major pitcher goes down for the year

Suppose the Yanks or Red Sox come calling asing for Sheets? Despite us playing very well I would still consider doing it. Desperate teams tend to make desperate decisions. I would never say never even if the Brewers are still in the race.

Well then consider this scenario

2. Its the middle of June and the Brewers are about 10 games over .500 and in 1st place

3. Chris Capuano has rebounded with an ERA around or below 4

4. Gallardo is pitching awesome

5. No contract extension talks with Sheets

6. Josh Beckett, Chien Ming Wang or other major pitcher goes down for the year

Suppose the Yanks or Red Sox come calling asing for Sheets? Despite us playing very well I would still consider doing it. Desperate teams tend to make desperate decisions. I would never say never even if the Brewers are still in the race.

And then if the Brewers fall back to the pack after a trade, or if a Gallardo or Villanueva go down after a trade? The ONLY way he gets traded is if he is healthy AND Melvin decides we are already eliminated come July 31.

In other words, he isnt going to be traded.

It would not be bad PR if Sheets once again is going through injuries and this team can get some pieces for the team to stay toward the top.

If he's going through injuries, you're probably not going to be able to trade him.

An injured pitcher whose contract expires at the end of the year? I bet teams will be lining p to give up useful pieces for some of that.

I hope Sheets has a dominant year, we make the playoffs and he walks, leaving us comp picks and then people can bellyache about NOT having him. (actually, I hope he stays, but he wont).

Was this suppose to be in blue?? Sheets will have to different route than what he has done the last 3 years.

RyDogg your right there will a certain crying if Sheets leaves and some how finds a way to stay healthy. IMO it is time for him to move on if he cannot shake the injury bug. It is becoming old what type of injury will put Sheets on the DL each year. He has more talent than pitcher on the staff, but he has not lived up to it the last 3 years.

Sheets has basically put the Brewers in a no-win position by missing so many games the last 3 years. His value in the trade market isn't what it should be nor has he done enough for the small market Brewers to reward him with an extension.

They might just have to bite the bullet, hope they finally get some return this year on his contract and wish him luck in free agency and take the draft picks. It's not like they can't replace what he's given them the past 3 seasons. That's why it so important for Gallardo, Villanueva and Parra to show they can be solid starters with Gallardo taking the number one spot.

It's not likely they'll be 8-10 games back in July, but that's the only scenario I see him getting dealt.

It's not like they can't replace what he's given them the past 3 seasons.

I don't think they'll be able to easily replace a 3.63 ERA, .249 BAA, .682 OPS against, 5-1 K:BB ratio, and 8K/IP at all, even if it has only been for 134 innings/year.

It's not like they can't replace what he's given them the past 3 seasons.

I don't think they'll be able to easily replace a 3.63 ERA, .249 BAA, .682 OPS against, 5-1 K:BB ratio, and 8K/IP at all, even if it has only been for 134 innings/year.

134 IP is very easy to replace. Yes those other numbers are awesome, but when you cant count on it every 5th day and have to juggle guys around from the pen and the rotation it hurts the other guys on the staff also. Yost has to wonder every time that Sheets takes the mound if he will get injured and not be able to finish the game, then he has to dip into the pen and get through the game and also hold an arm from the pen for his next start.

134 IP is very easy to replace.

Sure it is. But it's replacing it with that quality that is a huge problem. Throwing a warm body out there because he'll give you 135+ innings is not even close to the best thing for the team- that's how you get stuff like the Jimmy Haynes Experience. So unless you've got someone in mind that's going to throw at least 135 innings and match those number put up by Sheets, I fail to see how it's a plus for the Brewers.

Sure it is. But it's replacing it with that quality that is a huge problem. Throwing a warm body out there because he'll give you 135+ innings is not even close to the best thing for the team- that's how you get stuff like the Jimmy Haynes Experience. So unless you've got someone in mind that's going to throw at least 135 innings and match those number put up by Sheets, I fail to see how it's a plus for the Brewers.

Dependabilty counts for a lot after all. Lets see if Sheets can keep those great numbers up and come close to 200 IPs this year. With the young arms like Parra and Villy they could a decent job in the rotation if Ben is not on the hill.

hauser42 wrote:

Dependabilty counts for a lot after all. Lets see if Sheets can keep those great numbers up and come close to 200 IPs this year. With the young arms like Parra and Villy they could a decent job in the rotation if Ben is not on the hill.

Squeeze whatever you can out of Sheets and fill the rest of the innings with the inferior pitcher you would have used for all 200 innings. 135 innings of Sheets + 65 innings of Parra is better than 200 innings of Parra. Not to mention we really shouldn't use Parra for 200 innings anyway.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If Sheets is there opening day he will most likely be there the entire season.

1. If sheets puts up Cy Young type numbers - he obviously wont be dealt at the deadline

2. If Sheets puts up horrible numbers - he wont be sold low - unless the return is something at least half way decent - theyd look for him to turn it around

3. If Parra breaks out, Villanueva breaks out, Bush breaks out, Gallardo breaks out, and Suppan is suppan - then Sheets could be dealt, but hinging on #1 and #2

The value of Sheets with an assumption of injury is conditional on who you have to replace him with. Basically, you have to look at Sheets + whoever fills in for him over 34 starts. If the fill-in is awful, it'd be easier to get someone who produces the same aggregate numbers. If you have a decent #6 option, and you don't suffer much when he's gone and it's harder to replace the numbers. So Sheets + Jimmy Haynes is easier to replace with a single pitcher than Sheets + Parra (assuming Parra performs as expected).

I don't think his injuries will make all the much of a difference if we have to trade him. The guy has talent and there is going to be some team willing to give up something useful for him. A guy that comes to mind is Kris Benson. After his first two seasons he was pretty average to above average and was nothing but injuries, but teams still wanted him. His first trade wasn't for much but his second was for John Maine. Sheets is much better than Benson and doesn't have any history of shoulder or elbow problems. I think if we have to trade him we'll get something good in return.

I dont know where I stand on Ben Sheets. I think that to win the world series we need Ben Sheets. I think that 15-20 starts from Ben Sheets is not enough to make the playoffs.

I think that we (myself included) forget how good Ben Sheets is when he is healthy. The problem with him is the very definition of All or Nothing.

AS much as I think that Ben Sheets is injury prone, it hasnt been like he has blown out an elbow or shoulder. I really believe that the majority of his injuries are because of poor conditioning. Now I got into it with members on here before - No I do not know his workout routine, and I do not know his eating habits. But in my heart I feel as though he could do much more to stay in shape which would prevent alot of these nagging little injuries. And the truth is, its the nagging little injuries that are causing him to not be considered one of the top pitchers in Baseball.

aracko, I don't think you're necessarily the only one questioning Sheets' workout routine. I know there's been at least one poster who apparently has some connections to the Brewers minor league organization that has mentioned some things about that.

Basically, though, I think if Melvin was going to get a good deal for Sheets that made sense, it would have happened by now. Clearly Melvin did not get any offers worth considering, if any at all. Really, the Brewers just need to bank on Sheets having a good contract year. At that point, I think we'll be saying "adios" to him assuming he gets a big money offer from another team. Getting a couple high draft picks after losing him to free agency wouldn't be the end of the world.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The only way Sheets is dealt is if the team is faltering.

If that's the case, then Sheets is probably not hurt. Still, if there's other injuries that sabatoge the season, the team would have to weigh dealing him at the deadline to a team that is desperate for a starter.

The other possibility is that SHeets misses the first half of the year, the brewers falter. Sheets comes back at the break, throws a few good starts, and then gets dealt - but that's just a wacky scenario.

The club seems to like the draft picks, so losing him after the year nets you two high picks (assuming he's an 'A-Type' FA - which I'm not sure he would be. If he wouldn't be, the club would be more likely to deal him.

Archived