Brewer Fanatic

Doug Melvin on with Homer earlier today

logan82

I thought Melvin's explanation of the Cameron signing was really interesting and probably deserves its own thread. I tend to disagree with Melvin and would have much rather seen them pick up another left-handed bat. I think Yost will be forced to use Gabe Gross a lot more now, which wouldn't be that bad if he was replacing Hall in the outfield, but he'll now be replacing Hart or Braun.

Gross seems to be the team's best all-around defender in the outfield, leading Brew Crew outfielders in plays above average despite limited playing time.

First Half in Review: Milwaukee Brewers

I think Yost will be forced to use Gabe Gross a lot more now, which wouldn't be that bad if he was replacing Hall in the outfield, but he'll now be replacing Hart or Braun.

I dont think there would be any problem defensively going with a Hart-Gross-Braun or Gross-Hart-Braun outfield two days a week.

Keep in mind that defensive metrics are somewhat shaky over a single season and even more so over whatever small amount Gross played last season. I really do not think he's a better defensive OF than Hart is.

I also agree with Melvin that the other options out there that were left handed weren't worth it. Lofton can't play CF anymore and his peripherals took a big hit last year. Blalock can't hit outside of that home park or against lefties etc. I haven't heard one good left handed option brought up that would have been better than Cameron overall for the team, the closest was Teahen but I think his 2006 power surge was just a fluke and he isn't a good defensive player either.

Doug Melvin was on WTMJ this morning. Not too much discussed of major substance but he said he liked the team and should win the division.

- A few guys need to improve/turnaround for a division title (Capuano specifically mentioned)

- He said the staff and him have taken the rotation and compared it from starter #5 down to start#1 (reverse order) and the Brewers can compete with any other team out there, even though they may not have a Cy Young caliber pitcher at the top.

- He kind of said between the lines that Ned won't have to be worrying about platoons and late game decisions much (the roster was Ned proofed!) in that the guys that they have are all regular players (Braun, Cameron, Hart (specifically mentioned that he obviously earned a starters role full time)).

- Again likes Kendall for OBP potential and the "handling of the staff"

- Spring training will help decide a #5 rotation spot and the slotting of the bullpen rotation (7th inning guys, 8th inning guys, and Gagne as closer)

Cameron runs well, plays good defese, and Crisp is nowhere near the hitter that Cameron is. No way I prefer him, plus we'd have had to part with at least one player to do it. No thanks. Gross will get plenty of PT.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Crisp wasn't a bad idea but I'm not sure what we have that Boston would want, certainly not any of our pitchers. That leaves prospects and I'm not sure Crisp for prospects is any better than Cameron for just money.

Ill that I can remember of Gabe Gross playing defense is that one game late in the year when he slipped and fell on his butt. I cant remember what game it was but I can remember being incredily pissed after the game.

Didn't he actually slip and fall twice last year?

The game you are likely thinking of was Labor Day. Houston v Milwaukee. Sheets v Oswalt. Was a very entertaining game - until we COMPLETELY fell apart at the end.

That was also the game were Estrada was only willing to move his glove about two inches to prevent a pass ball from scoring in the winning run.

I agree Cameron is clearly the better player. I'm just countering the argument there were no CF options out there. But I suppose bringing in Crisp would beg the question why move Hall out of CF? Crisp probably isn't good enough to warrant all the position shifting.

Yea - if Crisp were the other choice, I'd have rather just stuck with Hall, too.

Didn't Hart do the ol' slip-n-fall near the RF line at SF in the second half last year? Not saying Gabe didn't slip another time, just wondering.

With how long DM took to sign Cameron, I figured he exhuasted all the other options of players whose profile's more closely matched what he was looking for. I'm pretty happy that we are now to the point that we are 'settling' for players of the caliber of Cameron to fill holes, instead of looking for that type of player to be our main sources of production.

Yea - if Crisp were the other choice, I'd have rather just stuck with Hall, too.

Didn't Hart do the ol' slip-n-fall near the RF line at SF in the second half last year? Not saying Gabe didn't slip another time, just wondering.

I believe that was Dillon that slipped in SF playing RF.

I know for a fact this play I'm thinking of was Corey, but I'm not sure whether he slipped or just made an ugly drive.

I know he horribly mis-played the ball (bright sun), but he might have just tried to lay out far too late, hence looking like an ugly slip. Iirc, that was the 'Bush giving up the 7th-inning HR after cruising' game.

I know for a fact this play I'm thinking of was Corey, but I'm not sure whether he slipped or just made an ugly drive.

I know he horribly mis-played the ball (bright sun), but he might have just tried to lay out far too late, hence looking like an ugly slip. Iirc, that was the 'Bush giving up the 7th-inning HR after cruising' game.

You're thinking of the play in the 8th inning when Linebrink was pitching. It was a bloop down the line and he kind of fumbled the ball and hurried the throw home (which ended up being way off target.)

Archived