Brewer Fanatic

Do the Red Sox make a good trade partner?

the problem is, they already have decent pitching depth, and none of our remaining guys are appreciably better than what they already have.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I don't think they'd want any of those guys as they already have 5 guys that can start without including Schilling. Maybe more than that, I don't know what Papelbon is doing. Boston would only want one of those guys if another injury crops up. They might want sheets or gallardo, though...

Good comments, the author was implicating that the Red Sox may need a "6th starter" type because in fact they are well covered as mentioned in the 1-5 spots in the rotation and also free agency isn't going to help them much at all at this point.

Capuano and Bush aren't 6th starter types to the Brewers but they are considered such only because of the log jam we have of 4-5 starters currently on the roster. Vargas is a 6th Starter in my opinion. He is a guy you don't want to start considering our other options in Bush and Cappy are better.

I wonder if maybe the Red Sox are willing to afford some rotation depth by keeping an arby starter at arby dollars on their roster and offload some young relief help to the Crew?? A catching prospect?

I don't think the Red Sox (or any other team) really wants to go into spring with just 5 starters. If Schilling is out, you can bet they will consider signing a guy like Colon or Lohse or deal.

The problem they would have if they wanted Sheets say for Lester and a guy like Jed Lowrie for instance is that would still leave them with 5 starters, one of whom, Sheets is not too reliable. So if you dealt them Sheets, you might have to still add a 6th starter like Capuano to get Lester

Here's my thinking: Sheets, Capuano, and Gross for Lester, Crisp (have to take some salary back somewhere and here's your CF for 25 games and perhaps 09 too), and either Lowrie or catching prospect Kottaras. If they wanted just a 6th starter type, we certainly have some to choose from and they do have prospects to deal.

I'd be happy picking up CoCo Crisp. Start him in April in CF and then shift him around as needed for the rest of the season. Possibly give him a chance to be the starting CFer in 2009. Or move him in a later trade. Certainly, I think he'd be far more valuable than Gabe Kapler and Tony Gwynn Jr. this year.

He certainly seems a more attainable sort than some of the names mentioned, at least if we're discussing the likes of Bush and Vargas.

Robert

Archived