Brewer Fanatic

What you want in the rotation, and what you think will happen....

RobDeer 45

Interesting note in McCalvy's latest column.

Many of the pitchers are back as well, at least in the starting ranks. Ben Sheets, Jeff Suppan, Yovani Gallardo and Dave Bush have spots in the starting rotation waiting for them, and Chris Capuano, Manny Parra, Claudio Vargas and Carlos Villanueva also will compete. All were Brewers in '07.

LINK

I saw Melvin's comments about Bush having a spot in the rotation. I'm a big Dave Bush fan, but i'm kind of torn on if I want Cappy or Villanueva in the 5 spot. I think Villanueva is a better pitcher at this point, but I also think Cappy can bounce back and he'd give us a lefty in the rotation. I just don't want to get to a point where Villanueva is getting shelled again in the second half because he was over worked early on.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Want: Sheets, Gallardo, Villanueva, Suppan, Bush

Expect: Sheets Gallardo, Villanueva, Suppan, Bush

Miller Park South,

Villanueva worked 182 innings (major and minor) as full time starter in 2006, and was 2-1 with a 2.59 ERA for Brewers in September. What makes you think he can't handle starter's load two years later? He wore down in the pen last year because he was throwing just about every day.

The Brewers don't have to have a lefty in the rotation if he's a lesser pitcher. They should have the 5 best regardless.

I guess I didn't quite type out my thoughts as clearly as they sounded in my head! I love Villy as a starter, but my concern is that they're going to use him in the pen, where he was over worked last year, which led to his bad second half.

He wore down in the pen last year because he was throwing just about every day.
this is pretty much what I wanted to say. If Yost can avoid that with Villy this year and Cappy proves that he can overcome last year and pitch well in ST, then I think Cappy should be in the rotation to give us a lefty and to perhaps boost his trade value. A pitcher like Villanueva would be great to have as the long man/swing man, but I agree that he's among our best 5 pitchers and i'd love to see him start. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a 2nd lefty in the pen, even if he is relatively expensive.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

I think the Brewers have to have one Lefty in the Rotation..... So one Spot is between Parra and Cappy...most likely going to Cappuano, to at least get his value up higher in the first half and Protect Parra's arm in the Minors for the 2nd half run.

That leaves Villy, Bush and Vargas fighting out for the other spot..... I like Bush and Villy.... but some on here think that Villy and his 12 starts have earned him a starting spot, I dont think thats the case....he has done very well in those 12 starts but again he had 6 starts in 2007 and 6 starts in 2006...he does not have that great of stuff and there is not much of a book out on him yet....I think he will struggle a lot as a starter.. Bush has always had very good perphials and he was one of the most unlucky pitchers last year going off of his BABIP numbers

Anyway what I would want to see.....Sheets/ Yovanni/ Cappuano/ Suppan/ Bush......Parra in Triple A(2 months)..... Vargas traded(for prospect).... Villy in BP

What I expect to see...... Sheets/ Yovanni/ Suppan/ Villuanuva/ Cappuano.........Parra in Triple A(2 months) Bush Traded(for better prospect).... Vargas in BP

Bush and Cappy have the most value.... and Bush at 2.55 million this year will make some team that needs a 5th starter calling during Spring Training....

if Bush is traded and Vargas is on this roster, we better have gotten one heck of a legit prospect for Bush. I'm an advocate of trading Vargas for peanuts and putting Parra in AAA to monitor his innings with an eye towards 2009 or in case one of our starting 5 goes down. After that, I think everything will work itself out. I just can't envision a scenario where nobody gets hurt in ST and Vargas is on this team on opening day.

if Bush is traded and Vargas is on this roster, we better have gotten one heck of a legit prospect for Bush. I'm an advocate of trading Vargas for peanuts and putting Parra in AAA to monitor his innings with an eye towards 2009 or in case one of our starting 5 goes down. After that, I think everything will work itself out. I just can't envision a scenario where nobody gets hurt in ST and Vargas is on this team on opening day.

If we can trade Bush for a catching prospect...I would do it in a flash...and I like Dave Bush... Atlanta for Pena.....Texas for Teargaden(would have to add more than Bush..this might be a Cappy and prospect deal)

Sheets, Yo, Cappy Suppan, Bush. Villy and Vargas will be in the pen to start the season and ready to fill in. Parra will spend the start of the season in AAA ready to callup when he is needed.

So with both Villy and Vargas in the Pen...do the Brewers go with 13 pitchers...or who does not make the BP between Mota and Torress.....

I think 6 of our Bull pen jobs are locks.... unless Choate, Stetter or McClung have a great spring...and Mota struggles or injuries happen...

So that leaves just the long man spot open....I do see the need to trade at least one of our starters....

Archived