Brewer Fanatic

What you want in the rotation, and what you think will happen....

RobDeer 45

What would you like to see for the Brewers rotation and what do you think will actually happen?

I really think we need Cappy in the rotation to have that lefty arm in there. I think he has showed us a lot in previous years and can work through that funk he had last year. I like Bush a lot but I think he fits best in the pen (if CV earns his starting spot like they say he will). My biggest worry for the pen right now is having to many one inning guys and not a guy to chew up innings. I think that Bush fits in to that spot perfect. Plus if an injury happens to a starter, I see him jumping in right away to make a spot start or two. So it seems to me that Vargas is as good as gone. I can't wait to see how this works out!

(slightly clarified thread title; added tag --1992)

I think the rotation will be Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Bush, Capuano and Villanueva will be in the bullpen.

I'd personally like to see Villanueva get his shot in the rotation. Everything about Bush's stats screams he'd be terrible in the bullpen but if the team thinks he can adjust to it he probably makes the most sense to make the move.

want: Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Capuano, Parra. two of villy, bush, vargas in the pen, one traded away.

expect (barring injury): Sheets Gallardo, Suppan, Bush, Capuano. villy in pen, vargas in pen or traded, Parra in Nashville (BOOO!).

I suspect - Sheets Suppan Yo Villy and Cappy with Bush in pen, Parra in Nashville and Vargas traded

Me too. Fitting Bush in the pen may require the trading of more than just Vargas, barring injury - one of Mota, Torres or Turnbow could well be gone as well. Unless they go with Shouse as the only lefty again.

I want - Sheets, Yo, Suppan, Villanueva, and Capuano in rotation. Bush in pen, Parra in AAA (preferably on the same schedule as Ben Sheets), and Vargas traded.

I suspect - Sheets, Suppan, Yo, Bush, and Capuano in rotation. Villanueva in pen, Parra in AAA, and Vargas traded.

Want: Sheets, Yo, Suppan, Villanueva, Capuano (circa 2006 - I'd rather have the lefty in the rotation over Bush, other things being equal, for balance.)

Expect: Sheets, Suppan, Yo, Capuano, Bush; Villanueva to pen, Vargas traded / waived

I would love Villanueva and Parra to round out the rotation. After all, aren't the starters supposed to be your best pitchers?

However, I'm afraid this is going to be like last year. If you remember, Yost and Melvin said all winter that the #5 starter would be an open competition. Villanueva outpitched Vargas by a ton, yet was never given a fair shake to make the starting rotation. I have a feeling Parra is in the same boat this year, he won't get a fair chance.

I expect Parra to start the year in Nashville. Villanueva and Capuano to start and Vargas and Bush in the pen. Btw, for those of you that think Capuano is just in a "slump", consider this...since the all-star break of '06, he is 6-20 with a 5.20 ERA. Even the year he won 18, he received about 6 runs of support. He's not as good as everyone thinks he is.

Or you could just be pulling out random samples of stats and judging him by that. I'd say his career ERA is probably the best indicator of his talent. As I pointed out in another thread before he was hurt last year he had sub 4 ERA and peripherals and August of 2006 he was simply outstanding. If you just grab cutoffs and make sure they include his worst months of course they'll look bad.

I'd rather see Villanueva starting in AAA than pitching out of the pen. The only spot for him would be as a long reliever, which would be a waste. I'd like the rotation to be Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva, Capuano with Bush in the pen, Parra in AAA, and Vargas nowhere near the roster.

Want: Sheets, Yo, SoupCan, Villy, Capuano/Bush (I think I just threw up a little in my mouth)

Yosted/Melvined: Sheets, Yo, SoupCan, Capuano, Bush (I really think I'm going to be sick...)

I seriously don't understand why Villy is considered to be more valuable in the pen than in the rotation. The guy has more than earned his spot, especially compared to the trio of Bush, Capuano, Vargas.

Parra needs to have another season of health in that arm before I say he's rotation-ready out of the gate.

I seriously don't understand why Villy is considered to be more valuable in the pen than in the rotation. The guy has more than earned his spot, especially compared to the trio of Bush, Capuano, Vargas.

Exactly, I thought he pitched great down the stretch last year. He has earned it.

WANT:

Sheets

Gallardo

Parra

Suppan

Villanueva

EXPECT:

Sheets

Gallardo

Suppan

Capuano

Bush

As long as Sheets is in town, regardless of injury, he will be the ace. Yovanni is a future star. Parra just might be the best of the bunch in the long-run (he deserves to make the opening day roster but I'm afraid they will exercise his option to AAA). Suppan is a horse in the 4-hole. Villanueva has paid his dues and should be given the fifth spot. The rest of the team is so young and up and coming, why shouldn't the rotation be? The young pitchers are better than the incumbents. In a "what have you done for me lately" business, Capuano has a lot to prove. Vargas was the main culprit for why our bullpen was so taxed last year so he should not be given a starter's role. Bush flat out wins ballgames but his ERA and propensity for giving up the long ball really hurt. Trades are inevitable at this point. Hopefully, Bush is given a spot in long-relief and/or Capuano bounces back.

"Happy"

happyyoungster@hotmail.com

TheHappyYoungster wrote:

Vargas was the main culprit for why our bullpen was so taxed last year so he should not be given a starter's role.

To be fair, Capuano was almost as hard on our bulpen as Vargas last year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Expect: Sheets, Yo, and Soup. I'm fine with that.

Want: Villanueva in the rotation and Parra starting the year in Nashville.

Expect: Between Villanueva and Parra, I think the Brewers will do what I don't want with at least one of them.

Expect: Between Bush and Capuano, at least one will be in the rotation.

Want: Between Bush and Capuano, I don't really care which one is chosen for the rotation. But since I want Villanueva in there, I don't want to see both of those guys as starters.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I want our 5 best starters in the rotation. And I want then in an order that protects Parra's arm. So:

1) Sheets

2) Suppan

3) Gallardo

4) Villanueva

5) Parra

If Parra goes down to AAA I want Bush in the 5 spot.

I expect a mistake:

1) Sheets

2) Gallardo

3) Suppan

4) Capuano

5) Bush

Want:

1) Sheets

2) Gallardo

3) Villenueva

4) Suppan

5) Bush (tied for team lead last year in QS)

Capuano to the bullpen (as the second lefty), Vargas traded, and Parra to AAA

Expect:

1) Sheets

2) Gallardo

3) Villenueva

4) Suppan

5) Capuano

Bush to the bullpen, Vargas traded, and Parra to AAA.

The more I've thought on it, the more I expect this scenario, assuming everyone stays healthy:

Starters: Sheets, Gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva, Bush

Long relief: Capuano

Middle relief: Torres, Mota

Short relief: Riske, Turnbow, Shouse

Closer: Gagne

Melvin's made it sound like both Bush and Villanueva have inside shots at the rotation (something I don't disagree with). At least from some people's perspective, it would make sense to start Capuano in the pen and let him get back on track. It would give the bullpen a second lefty as well as a long relief guy with a solid track record. I'd like to have a lefty in the rotation more than a second lefty in the pen, but it seems like Villanueva and Bush would both have to screw up big time to let Capuano into the rotation on merit (well... perceived merit).

Of course there could also be an injury or two... knock on wood there aren't.

Archived