Brewer Fanatic

The Jason Kendall thread

shtiny

I love the Sheets quote.

"We were on the same page," Sheets said. "I probably shook him off two or three times, and every time I shook him off, I wish I hadn't."

I recall Mota shaking off a few signs. I'd imagine it will take a bit longer for Kendall to get in tune with the relievers, since he didn't catch them much in spring training.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
there is no proof of calling a 'good game'

Calling a game is a skill, as such, it stands to reason that some players are going to better than others.

I totally agree with this, and I think it points out that many aspects/skills/situations in baseball can't be quanitified by statistics. Those that can are immensely important tools of understanding, but there's another non-numbered universe as well.

What do people mean by calling a good game. I've pitched in high school, college and amateur ball and I've always called the pitches. The catchers puts down the signs and I shake till I get what I want. Sometimes I'll have a catcher come out and tell me "this is working, this is isn't" and I'll adjust but I've never just thrown whatever the catcher puts down.

What do people mean by calling a good game. I've pitched in high school, college and amateur ball and I've always called the pitches. The catchers puts down the signs and I shake till I get what I want. Sometimes I'll have a catcher come out and tell me "this is working, this is isn't" and I'll adjust but I've never just thrown whatever the catcher puts down.

I'll add something to what Chorizo said. From my past pitching experience, a lot of it has to do with (as Sheets put it), "being on the same page."

Back in my glory days, the catcher with whom I played the most knew exactly how I pitched. He knew what my strengths were, he knew what my weaknesses were. He knew how my pitches moved (ex: I am a lefty - my fastball naturally cut in on righties, my curveball was a Zito-esque 12 o'clock-6 o'clock breaker) and thus, where they'd end up based on where I started them. He knew how I liked to throw. I did shake him off at times, but we were almost always on the same page - it gave me confidence that I could pitch my game and not worry about what he was doing.

Example of when my catcher called a pitch that I would not have normally chosen, but was exactly correct: Early in a game my senior year in high school, there were two guys on, two out. The opponent's masher was up. I never gave up a home run, but I almost did during this at-bat, and was lucky the wind blew it foul. We were at a full count. I just assumed that I was going to see the catcher drop one finger down, but to my surprise, he called for the curve ball. Now, I had a nasty, nasty curve ball (oh, those were the days), and while I had very good control, I almost never threw it with three balls. But when I saw the sign for the curve I sort of thought, "Hmm, what the heck. Let's go for it." So, I through a perfect curve that started outside and broke right over the plate, freezing the batter. The ump didn't expect it either, as he actually hesitated before calling it strike three.

I know that was just one pitch of thousands, but I've always remembered it because of how impressed I was with my catcher's head for the game. He knew what I could do, he knew what pitch would be best in a situation, and he trusted that I could throw it. At the same time, I had confidence in his decision making, so I could concentrate on throwing pitches.

On the other hand, once in a while, I would have to pitch to one of two other catchers, and it was awful. I still did fine, as I was a good pitcher, but I constantly wondered what the guys were doing behind the plate. They were basically just glorified backstops. I felt like, other than catching my pitches, that I had to do both of our jobs.

I already feel 100 times better about catcher this season then last with Kendall instead of Estrada. Although Kendall has no power at the plate he could hit around .270-.280 and have a good OBP. But his skills behind the plate are just great. He isn't the greatest catcher at throwing guys out, but will still throw out more then Estrada. But his ability to handle his staff and block pitches and just play heads up will be a huge factor for our team. I'm very happy to have him on the Brewers this season.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Soup and Yost gave Kendall some major props when interviewed after the game:

"He's come in and worked hard to learn our pitching staff," Milwaukee manager Ned Yost said of the catcher. "What I really like about him is that his focus is on that pitcher and whatever he gives us offensively is gravy."

And Soup added:

"I think there have been quite a few I've worked with and as far as game calling, he's up there," Suppan said. "For the most part I was able to stay out of the middle and stay out of the big inning."

I love the Sheets quote.

"We were on the same page," Sheets said. "I probably shook him off two or three times, and every time I shook him off, I wish I hadn't."

I recall Mota shaking off a few signs. I'd imagine it will take a bit longer for Kendall to get in tune with the relievers, since he didn't catch them much in spring training.

I absolutely love Ben Sheets. Also, spliter --> logan = laughter.

Kendall was great today next to and behind the plate. I'm tempering my expectations, but if his 2007 does prove to be a fluke, holy cow.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It sounds like you were just a jewel to coach. If you were that much of a joy to catch you must have had some nasty stuff, otherwise you would not have made it far.

Yes a lot of managers signal in defensive/IF positioning via the catcher. Iirc some managers will actually call for certain pitches in certain situations, and pickoff moves often come from the dugout.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When Kendall beat out the infield play today and reached on the error all I could think of was how Estrada would never have even been close to reaching on a similar play. This combined with the fact he was actually able to score on a sac fly demonstrates how nice it is to have a catcher who is at least an average base runner.

Thus far Kendall has been an improvement behind the plate, as far as blocking pitches goes. And he's a releif to watch run after seeing Estrada lumber around the basepaths. If Kendall rebounds offensively this year, Melvin will come out looking mighty smart.

I'll jump on the BA man love wagon for Kendall. He is blocking balls, calling great games, going first to third on hits, and not being a complete dog out on the field. Didn't he have eye surgery, maybe its helping at the plate too.

Some people will never believe that the catcher has a huge impact on the pitching during a baseball game. The pitchers get all the credit and all the crap for their performance. I'm on record numerous times saying that I thought Moeller had a big impact on Sheets in 2004 and Estrada was a terrible game caller for the entire staff. Just because something is difficult to prove statistically doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

The biggest different I've noticed is that there is no nibbling this year, they get 2 strikes on the hitter and they go after him and get the SO or the ball gets put in play. Last year there were a ton of 2 strike hits and worse, 2 strike walks. Though it's only been 6 games and I've only watched 4, I don't remember a single 0-2 or 1-2 count where the batter ended up walking this year. It will happen sometime of course, but the pitchers aren't wasting pitches like they did last year.

edit. I should add that one of the games I missed was Bush's start against the Cubs and I missed the game on Saturday as well.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived