Brewer Fanatic

Shaq to Suns

jaybird2001wi
The Phoenix Suns and Miami Heat have agreed to terms of a trade sending Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to Miami for Shaq. In my opinion, this trade looks good for both teams. It gives the Suns a big man to work with Nash and Amare Stoudamire while the Heat get Marion to work with Dwyane Wade. The deal is pending a physical, which Shaq is flying to Phoenix to take at this time.

I do not know much at all about the NBA, but I was under the impression that Shaq is washed up, cant shoot (still), is fat and cant run and is always hurt. I was also under the impression that the Suns run a lot. This doesnt seem like a smart trade for the Suns.

I take back what I said about this being a good deal for the Suns. They already have a center in Amare and they just traded Steve Nash's only backup at PG and give up Shawn Marion, who is a better player than Shaq by himself at this point. The Heat get Marion, who is a PF, but may have to be an undersized center because they don't have any alternatives at that position. They also get Banks, who is a solid reserve.

Not to mention the Suns have an injure prone guy already, Grant Hill.

shaq is old, slow, not good anymore and doesn't even fit what the Suns try to do which is run, run and run some more. Get the shot up in under 14 seconds. Shaq has never been a shot blocker, or a big D guy, he is just big and clogs up the lane. This deal makes no sense at all for the suns. Marion is due for a big contract, but the Suns are taking on a huge dead weight contract in Shaq.

This is a pretty big risk for the Suns, but I think it will work out. Shaq plays for the playoffs, if he can be healthy enough when the playoffs come around the Suns will benefit from this. Will they make the finals? Who knows. But Shaq can still do so much especially when he is not the focal point. He still draws double teams (taking away guys to guard Amare, Nash and the 3 point shooters they have on the team) he will guard big men (Yao, Duncan) and he can rebound.

The Suns had to do something after the Gasol trade, there were rumors of Shaq going to the Mavericks and the Suns jumped ahead of the Mavs and got Shaq. Gasol was awesome last night and the Lakers look very tough now. If they get Bynum back this year (there has been speculation regarding how bad his injury is, and if they should rush him back) it looks like they have a great shot at the finals.

This makes me think that the Mavs are going to go after JKidd real hard now. Devin Harris may be on the move...

I think this deal is horrible for the Suns unless Shaq somehow turns into what he used to be. I can't believe this was the best deal the Suns had for Marion. Marion is a free agent after this year so no matter what that will save the Heat money if they don't extend him because Shaq is signed through next year -- at $20 million.

There seems to be a trend in the NBA. Overpaid, washed up players "quit" when they are on bad teams. Then they get traded and BAM, they are good again. Vince Carter is the poster boy for this trend. When he was in Toronto, he was hurt all year. He got traded, and then New Jersey went to the finals.

Vince Carter, Chris Webber (did it twice I think), Damon Stoudamire, and soon to come, Steve Francis.

A horrible trend for the NBA. A rule should be invoked that a player cannot be sitting out with an injury when traded.

Shaq might find his youth playing 24 minutes a game. Risky move, as the suns were really good before, but it could easily lead to a title.

The Suns have plenty of offense without Marion, and Nash plays 36-40 a game, or at least will in the playoffs. They'll find someone to play 8-12 minutes just fine.

Tucker hasn't played in a game since he's been back from the D-Leage (a couple weeks), so I can't imagine that if he plays it will be a significant amount.

To add to the sentiment here, why the heck did Phoenix do this? Shaq's down to like 14 and 7 or something this year and is hurt off and on. Why on Earth would they want him with that salary? I mean I know very little about the NBA so maybe I'm missing something, but still.

I do not know much at all about the NBA, but I was under the impression that Shaq is washed up, cant shoot (still), is fat and cant run and is always hurt. I was also under the impression that the Suns run a lot. This doesnt seem like a smart trade for the Suns.
Sounds like you know everything you need to know about the NBA to me!

This is such a horrible trade for the Sun - I am stunned.

Marion was unhappy with the Suns. And Banks was overpaid. I can see why they wanted to get rid of them. (Although, Marion is still an all-star caliber player. He just wants to be the focus a litttle more - he doesn't like sharing with Amare)

How were the Bucks not involved in these trade talks!?! (Of course, I said the same thing when Gasol was traded for peanuts)
But taking Shaq back is the worst fit in the history of the world! He can't run. He's always hurt. (And is currently) And they already have an all-star center!
This is the same team (The Suns) who have given away their first round picks the past few years because they are too cheap to sign them. They sold Loul Deng because they didn't want to pay him - and rookie are cheap in the NBA! They also sold two first round picks this past year!

And now they take on a 2 year commitment at $20 million per season!?!?!

Good lord. Makes me feel better about the Bucks. (Well, maybe not)

It's almost like they just gave away Marion. I don't understand it at all. Sure I'll probably look stupid and Shaq will carry them to the finals (I doubt it) but I just don't see how Steve Kerr thought this was a good idea.

Decent deal for the Heat, don't think it'll quite get them to the Playoffs though.

can't be bad for tucker, he might find some minutes out of the deal.

about shaq's salary, marion was making 16.4 mil this year, and the point guard was making 4 mil... so they traded salaries. it's next year that will be the problem.

about shaq's salary, marion was making 16.4 mil this year, and the point guard was making 4 mil
Ah, but here is the catch.

Shaq isn't good anymore!

Marion might be one of the top 10 players in the league. (That may seem like a stretch, but if you ever watched Phoenix without Amare - you would have said Marion was just as good. Marion just didn't work as a 3rd wheel.) Marion will have a shot at posting 20 ppg and 10 rpg as a member of the Heat.

Shaq will be lucky to post 15 ppg and 8 rpg. (And that is if he is healthy!)

However, since I love D. Wade. I am really happy for the Heat.

They will likely have a high draft pick, D. Wade and Marion to build around going forward. They went from Salary Cap hell to a good chance to rebuild before Wade is too beat up to compete. (Too bad they have Mark Blount for two more years)

The Suns just traded their only backup at PG? Man, a very good player in Leandro Barbosa won't like that comment. He's averaging almost 17 points a game.

Shawn Marion was leaving the Suns after this year. And sure, Shaq isn't what he used to be, but I mean people are really just dismissing the fact that Shaq and Amare Stoudemire are now down low with Steve Nash, not to mention role players like Raja Bell, Barbosa, Boris Diaw, and Grant Hill?

I bet the Suns win it all.

EDIT: And the Heat were trading for Marion's salary slot just as much as they were trading for Marion long term. They may sign him, but it's not definite.

...well, a revolutionary and sometimes darn entertaining style of Basketball in Pheonix has officially died. I say 'died' because Shaq, healthy or not, won't keep up that kind of pace. He pretty much pulls the speed of the team down several notches and turns them into more of the half-court plodding variety.

About the only real benefit this serves Pheonix on the court is that Amare gets moved to the 4 whenever Shaq is healthy. That's gotta reduce some wear and tear and make his D less of a factor.

Amare is a 4, and at this point in his career, is pure offense. He has no interest in playing D for the most part. Marion still won't get any attention with D-Wade on the team, but will be allowed to shoot as much as he likes. This isn't the worst thing that could happen to the Suns. They don't need Shaq right now, and won't need him to be "the man". They are one of the few teams that could allow him to get healthy without pressure, and use him as needed in the playoffs. Fat, slow, old whatever you want to call him...he still can dominate a game for brief stretches, and is a much needed defensive presence. If anything, Shaq adds a level of toughness to a rather soft team. Marcus Banks was salary fodder in this trade, and will only be a factor because Miami is so bad. I don't think Shaq necessarily "quit" on the heat, ala Vince Carter. I think this is the result of the effects of a long career on a body his size.

Banks was one of the worst free agent signings of the last five years. Lots of people in Phoenix look at his contract like the bucks look at Gadzuric.

Steve Kerr is really impressing me as a GM no matter what you think of this trade. The past two years in the post season made him believe that the run and gun style they have been using wont get them a championship and Nash's expiration date is getting closer by the day. He rolled the dice that shaq can bring 25 good minutes on the block while Diaw can pick up the extra minutes when he is off the court. The idea was that this will give the team more offensive flexibility and get Amare to a less stressful defensive position. Shaq is top 20 in the league in blocks and should add more muscle down low on both ends.

Do I think this makes them a favorite to win it all? Probably not but I love that Kerr is so quick to pull the trigger when he recognizes something needs to be done to make the team a viable threat

This came down to one obvious reason, Kerr didn't think the Suns can get out of the West with a frontcourt of Marion at PF and Amare at center. I believe his thinking was likely correct there, it's just a matter if Shaq can be the answer. Nash is 34 and only a title will satisfy the Suns, Kerr rolled the dice and took a big 50 million dollar risk.

IMO it's a great trade for Miami, how it works in maybe getting the Suns the ring they crave ride mostly on if Shaq can stay healthy and if he'll decide to work hard and get himself in better shape now that he's on a team that could win it all. His problem hasn't only been declining skills via age, most reports have mentioned that Shaq hasn't exactly been keeping himself in the best shape.

Archived