Brewer Fanatic

2008 Silver Lining Thread

Playmaker13
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While getting shut out by the Marlins is extremely disappointing there's still a lot to be excited about. Most of which has been said all ready...1. We still have a winning record

2. Sheets is not on the DL...yet

3. Yovanni is the man

4. Our defense has been suprisingly good

5. Yost has decided on a (mostly) consistent line-up (although the pitcher hitting 8 is dumb no matter how you look at it)

6. This offense is too talented not to start hitting. Unless Johnny Estrada's intimidating presence in our line-up made everyone that much better the line-up hasn't lost anybody. This is the same team that whacked the ball around the yard last year.

The breakout is near!! A few weeks from now we'll be talking about how unstoppable they look!

No Mike Cameron, Ben Sheets missed a start, Bush/Parra/Villaneuva have each had one or two undesirable outings, certain relievers have been shaky, and the offense has been just bad for a few games. And somehow they're 14-11. I'm shocked.

And somehow they're 14-11.

And at 14-11 in the almightly AL East they would be in first place, ahead of the Red Sox & Yankees!

Just like I don't expect the Rays and Orioles to stay ahead of the Sox & Yankees all year, I don't expect the Cubs & Cards to stay ahead of the Brewers all year... once the offense kicks in - looking forward to Cameron being the missing spark.

We've played the most day games, our offense sucks, we've played the most extra inning games, no Mike Cameron yet, we've had the most close games, our offense is in the crapper, Yo has started twice, McClung, Ben has missed a start, the roof still leaks, the offense, Gagne has blown 4 saves, our team OPS is only slightly higher than Doug Melvin's IQ, the only sub-.500 team we've played is the Reds, we have intentionally played with 3 guys on the bench, Turnbow, we've been Yosted out of one game and our offense is as bad as I've ever seen it...

...and we're 14-11.

The Pirates beat the Mets 13-1 today. EVERY team gets their rear handed to them once in a while--even the Brewers.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Turnbow was terrible and hopefully will be released since he has been useless for 2+ years now. McClung is starting to get enough of a sample to think that his improvement is more than just a fluke.

After an absolute beatdown, the top thread on brewerfan.net is the Silver Lining Thread http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif I'm so proud to be here.
We scored 5 runs, and if we had scored 5 runs in every other game this year, we would be 26-1. I made that stat up.

Uecker is always good for a silver lining quote. In the 9th inning:

"Well, maybe they'll be tired tomorrow."

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

You really can't get mad when you lose that bad.

It's true. Heck, even after the first inning it's kind of nice knowing "Well if we win it'll seem like a luxury at this point." Unfortunately I stopped watching after the 6th inning so I missed Turnbows 8(!!) baserunners in less than one inning of work. I'd greatly appreciate a Joe Dillon sighting with the Major League team again.

Well, if you're going to give up six runs in a relief outing, I'd rather it be in a game where you're already down 13-5 in the 8th inning. Better than giving that up in a game when you're up by 5 (like they did about 10 times last year).

I don't think you release someone after a game like this when you still have a winning record (and a split in the series on the road so far - keep in mind, any team will lose 1/3rd of their games and it doesn't really matter that much if they are 2-1 or 19-5, they will still lose at least 60 no matter what), but Turnbow better be on a really short leash right now. Stetter has come in and been great in a short sample, and at this point if Turnbow doesn't start buckling down immediately it might be time to see Bush again, or give DiFelice, Ramirez, or even Sam Narron a shot. Had Turnbow given up a significant lead then maybe, but when you're down 13-5 already it doesn't matter what you do. He could have been told to work on something specific for all we know.

On the bright side McClung only gave up one hit in three innings, even though he walked four. All things being equal, that will almost always yield better results than four hits and one walk in three innings.

That blasting provided an opportunity to get Turnbow in the game where he provided yet more evidence that it is time to part ways (hopefully Doug will see it). Derrik will be gone soon and we will be back to 12 pitchers when Dillon takes his spot.

Archived