Brewer Fanatic

2008 Silver Lining Thread

Playmaker13
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my silver lining is that Mike Cameron has been EXACTLY as advertised when we signed him: .250-ish average, 20-ish homers, 100-ish strikeouts, decent 10-ish SB-type speed, pretty darn good defense in centerfield.

unfortunately, I could probably post these same numbers on the vent thread.

I haven't been happy with him nor have I been disappointed. He's pretty much the epitome of "as advertised."

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I was much more impressed with the teams overall effort tonight then all 4 Philly games combined.
Ditto. They at least looked like they were trying to win, as opposed to when they were in Philly and it looked like they just wanted to roll over and get out of town.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Cubs are very, very good - possibly the best team in baseball (Angels), and they very rarely lose at home. If the Mets lose tonight, we are still effectively tied, with the Mets having to face the Cubs 4 times next week. The Cubs playoff SPers are likely to pitch in that series, but almost assuredly will not pitch against the Brewers. All is not lost yet, but I'd feel a whole lot better if the Nats can pull another surprise tonight.

Of course there is that whole issue of the Brewers not being a professional baseball team, but we can deal with that one tomorrow (most likely in the Vent thread).

Maybe, just maybe today was the Brewers Brant Brown moment. All appeared lost for the Cubs on that fateful day in September in '98, but in the end, it turned out fine and the Cubs went on to win game 163 and made the playoffs - of course they got spanked in 3 straight, but they weren't actually that good...kind of like the Brewers.

Sound familiar?

I am going to bitterly cling to this for the next day or two.

I can find only one silver lining

If we miss the playoffs, it will finally be a complete end to the Yost and Sveum managing days. I can only hope then that whoever is hired, no considerations whatsoever are given to that guy having a previous relationship with the Brewers. If the manger says the word gritty or battle a single time in the interview, he's immediately crossed off the list. If an applicant adds a Y to any of the players last name, the reject button is hit. If an applicant talks about wanting to be really agressive on the base paths, the interview comes to a screeching halt.

Other than that and seeing Prince finally get hot, i just can't find any silver lining after todays debacle.

At least the Brewers didn't have to watch the Cubs do their "We won the Divsion!" celebration.
thank god for that.

mcclung looked excellent today! possibly the closer of the future

Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I finally have realized that the Brewers will never be good enough. 81-88 wins doesn't do it for me, so I'll save myself a lot of heartache to not give a crap. Sounds lame, but this off season will bring back the ugly reality of the landscape of Major League Baseball when the Yankees go hog wild spending again, the Cubs will get even better, and the Brewers window has closed. Will the next 'wave' of young talent be good enough? I already know the answer, and I feel good about that as weird as that sounds.

Went to my kid's swim meet after work. Wore my Brewers apparel. Left after her last event finished, approx 6:20. Was leaving the school and met a guy going in. He was also wearing Brewers stuff. We never said a word. He just shook his head, then flashed me a 5 and a 0 with his fingers.

Dropped my wife at home, and headed off to the HS football game. The local kids are still undefeated and looking good after tonight.

Never once thought about the train wreck until I got back home. Learned yet again that the Brewer fan bond is still strong, even if the team is not.

Archived