Brewer Fanatic

2008 Silver Lining Thread

Playmaker13

Nothing Ned did today can be complained about.

Pulling CC for Kapler achieved the desired result, the bullpen just didn't make it stand up. Double switching in Nix for Braun was disappointing because it's Nix, but I get it. I give Yost a lot of credit for going to get Villanueva considering his past trangressions. Pulling CV for Mota was the right move considering who was left in the pen. Mota is either going to strike you out or give up a cornucopia of hits. The last thing we could afford there was a Gagne or McClung walk-a-thon. Mota had some luck on his side and did his job.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pulling CC for Kapler achieved the desired result, the bullpen just didn't make it stand up.

Agreed -- Ned had to treat CC more carefully after abusing him like a rag doll last time out.

Pulling CV for Mota was the right move considering who was left in the pen.

I thought that the progression of Riske --> Shouse --> Torres --> Villy --> Mota was the absolute proper way to attack that extra innings contest. I wonder how much the off days tomorrow and Thursday affected Ned's decision-making. It'd be nice to see that kind of approach from Yost in any extra-innings or multiple RP games, but I honestly can't recall if tonight's moves were exceptions to or the rule in terms of bullpen use.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I had a group of surprisingly knowledgeable kids behind me yesterday and even the booed Mota's entrance into the game. I'm certain there wasn't a person, Mota included, who thought we'd get out of that giving up no runs. And he totally silenced everyone. Good for him. I'm still going to be wary when he comes into a game, but that was spectacular yesterday.

It kind of felt like when Turnbow got that one save earlier in the season and we were all, "oh my god, where did that come from?"

3 1/2 game lead heading into Pittsburgh and hopefully not the umpiring crew from the Cards series. This is a good team who had one get away from them on the road (after taking the previous five games in Busch). This team isn't suddenly bad because of the loss.

Still have a chance against the Pirates to hopefully maintain, if not improve our WC lead. The Pirates are in a big slump and the Cards go to Houston....of course, I'm very leary of going to our personal house of horrors after a tough loss to the Cards. Still 3.5 up with 29 to play at least.

Cards off the schedule for the season and we have a 4 game lead on them in the loss column - I'll take it

weekend series against the hapless Pirates (albeit on the road) and the Cards are at Houston - I'll take it

over half of our next 13 games are against the Padres and Reds, while the Cardinals play Houston, Arizona, Florida, and the Cubs - I'll take it.

the potential for the Brewers to finish the month of August 20-7 - I'll take it

I am going to 3 games in 4 days starting on Wednesday. Thus far this year I have only gone to 2 games. Plus 2 of the 3 games are free!!!!

O and if we are going to lose it might as well be on a day that the Cubs, Cards, and Phils also lose. Takes the sting off although I am still pissed at Gagne

Two losses in a row doesn't mean the sky is falling.

Tonight was the first game I've gotten to watch since the start of the Pittsburgh series, and the Brewers' lead in the wildcard is still larger than what I last saw it as a few days ago. That's good.

The Cardinals need to be 5 games better than the Brewers the rest of the way to sneak into the playoffs, and that doesn't seem likely if they just got done getting swept again. They can't afford too many more losses, even though it looks like they're going to win tonight. Every time the Brewers win (and yes, they'll win again), their chances at winning the wildcard increase, no matter what the Cards or Phillies or Mets do.

So what if they don't capitalize on every single opportunity to gain ground. If they did, they would have had a playoff spot locked up long ago.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Listening to BA pronounce 'Groin' makes me smile.
Hm. I've pretty sure I've posted about his pronunciation of that word in the vent thread. To each his own, I guess.

Anyway, Brad Nelson should be a nice pinch hit option for this month.

The Cubs, Cards, & Phillies all lost.

Big 'thank you' to the Nationals, who scored 4 runs in the 8th in a 5-5 game, and held on to win 9-7.

EDIT: Whoops! Thanks dlk9s! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Cubs, Cards, & Phillies all lost.

^^^ THIS ^^^ (and fixed your post) Yeah, it sucks that we just got swept, but it's not like the Brewers are the only ones who lose games. Think about how Phillies fans must feel right now. And think about it. We were one bad inning by Gagne away from winning the first game against the Mets. A hit, error, or even a "productive out" away from winning the second game, and a freak inning from Bush away from having a chance in the third game. Sometimes things go your way, sometimes they don't. It's not like we were severely outclassed or anything. And our magic number is now in the teens.

Archived