Brewer Fanatic

2008 Silver Lining Thread

Playmaker13
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Brewers just completed a road trip where they did not lose more games than they won.

The Brewers are the fourth best road team in the National League.

Ben Sheets goes tomorrow.

The Brewers have nine more home games than road games the rest of the season.

The Brewers are at worst three games out of the wild card going into tomorrows game; at best, two.

The Brewers are tied for the third best record in the National League going into 4th of July weekend.

The Brewers are beginning a homestand where they play Pittsburgh, Colorado, and Cincinnati.

Today's game only counts as one loss, even though it feels like 18 losses.

We were lucky to get the W last night, and absurdly unlucky to get the loss today. Lady Luck is a fickle mistress.

http://cdn-ce-den-t2-01.ce.ctv.icdn.comcast.net/CTV/Comcast_CIM_Prod_Fancast_Live/658/249/1205951828288_21722_0007_290_210.jpg

The first loss seemed like 18 losses...

And that's it and that's the only thing I need, is this. I don't need this or this. Just this win at Arizona. And this series at home v. Pittsburgh, the series v. Colorado, and the win at Arizona and that's all I need. And the series v. the Reds...

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The silver lining for me is that maybe Mota showing his true colors as of late will get Doug to get a late inning reliever. The guy still has nice stuff, but his command is shaky at best and it leads to costly walks and getting behind hitters to much. Mota after today will be sporting a 1.50ish WHIP, he simply allows to many base runners to be trusted late in close games like Ned does with Mota.

Between the struggles of Riske and Mota, there isn't a single relief pitcher i trust much besides Torres in close games.Bullpen arms can be overpriced and fluctuate from year to year, but for contending teams, it's really hard to win a playoff berth in todays baseball without a reliable back end of the pen. Playoff berths are often decided by 1-3 games, bullpens can be the deciding factor between otherwise fairly equal teams.

I feel for Ned at this moment . If we have say a 1-2 run lead entering the 7th and/or 8th innings, there isn't anybody in the bullpen that i'd have a high level of confidence in bringing in right now.

The brewers lost 5 games on a 10 game road trip. very solid.

The cubs, 7 games into a 10 game trip of their own, have already lost 5 games as well. The crew picked up 2 games during a tough road trip.

Even if the cubs match the brewers 5-5 trip, it will come at the expense of the wildcard leading Cardinals.

Silver lining: I thought the Giants had a night game tonight and was dreading the shelling I was sure the Cubs were gonna give Lincecum after today's meltdown. All of the sudden I turn around and the Giants already win it.

Today still stings but not nearly as much as it might've in the present and may indeed prove to be "one of the 60 losses" when all is said and done.

If you have to find out Mota's true value it might as well come in a situation where the game was more or less icing on the cake for an already successful road trip.

Parra is showing he's the pitcher we thought he'd be as opposed to the guy he was earlier this season.

We picked up two games on the Cubs over the last ten and didn't lose any ground on the Cards in the process.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Brandon Webb did not gain win number 13 off the Brewers.

The "Redhead Section" saw a loss to the Brewers--Bucketheads rule. (I know this was Wednesday's game; we were in Phoenix for the series, and this is my first chance to post since we got home.)

One great thing came out of yesterday's game last night. My friend, who almost seems to get more intelligent when he drinks, came up with this dandy of a song (sung to the tune of Sister Christian)

Mota-in! Walkin lotsa guys!

And Groovin all your strikes!

May not be that funny, but it sure was last night.

At least they didn't let yesterday's game hangover into to todays game. That was awful yesterday. I had to relive it at night when a friend finally watched it and sent text massages about the last inning. Now that JJ's on a tear again, I will probably hear everyone here in Tucson claim they are good buddies with him again.

So, the team that people say 'only scores on HRs'... today:

4 2B, 1 3B, and 8 of 11 runs scored via non-HR swings.

and 'always gets owned by crappy SP'... JDLR's line:

3.2 IP, 9 H, 7 ER (0 HR)

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Even after a tough loss, I feel like I need to balance out my vent thread post with a silver lining post.

Regardless of how this weekend series with the Reds turns out, the Brewers will be one of the top contenders for the NL Wildcard at the break. How many people thought that would be possible when the team sunk into last place for a few days? After that sweep in Boston? Defensive troubles aside, this team is going to be fun to watch down the stretch this year. I'm thankful I have competitive baseball to watch to escape all the Brett Favre talk on the 4-Letter Network. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived