Brewer Fanatic

2008 Silver Lining Thread

Playmaker13
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thankfully the Brewers won every day the Cubs won as well. As hot as the Cubs have been I'm ok with staying within range and waiting for them to stumble. If they don't all the more power to them and we still have the wildcard to work for.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• 2 weeks later...

Save for the Ramirez walkoff on Friday, it's kinda nice to see that the scripts this past week flipped from what the usual was earlier in the season....the Brewers have looked like they're about to blow leads in the 9th inning a couple times but then don't, the Cubs have dramatically threatened in the 9th and then choked-up and failed to win three times on my count this past week...makes me think the fates aren't necessarily completely on their side.

Five back for the division, 1.5 back for the WC with three months to go; considering how awesome the Cubs have been and how good the Cards have been and how crummy the Brewers had been, I'll take it

Manny Parra is becoming the pitcher we hoped he would.

While his peripherals still could use some work - he is on pace for a 16 - 4 record as a rookie!

We are also only 4 1/2 game back of the Cubs.

And since we take them on the last series of the season, we are only 1 1/2 games back from making that series have playoff intensity.

...and that's with the third best record in the NL, a game out of the wild card, and just a few games out of the division lead.

I'll take it. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

I was just going to say that! Also, if you put NL and AL standings together, the Brewers would be in 7th place overall in baseball. They're doing great, and it's just a matter of the Cubs coming back to the pack.

JJ has been playing some nice defense lately. I also got a sweet picture of Hall at 3B.

http://showtime.arkansasonline.com/e/img/movies/2008/Matador2_0307.jpg

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

we only need to go 1-3 in Phoenix to meet most everyone's road trip expectations. I'm hoping for better, personally, against a struggling Diamondback club.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

two weeks ago the Brewers were 8.5 games behind the cubs and 5 games behind the Cardinals. Those leads have been pared to 4.5 and 2 games, with a big Brewer homestand and a Cubs-Cardinals series in the near future.

The Cub messageboard continues to trend eerily similar to this messageboard last season -

first 60 games - bliss nearing euphoria, threads on how many games the team will win the division by, all-star game home field significance, scouting possible W.S. matchups in the A.L. Nobody caring that there are still 100 games left to be played. Adjusting expected win total based on hot start.

next 25 games - nervous optimism, threads on how chasing teams are due to cool off, team will rebound nicely once players get healthy, rotation just going through a rough spell and will bounce back to pitching well instead of factoring in career norms. Trying to view the outlook as the glass 1/2 full, thanking the baseball gods for the big early cushion and giving a daily rundown mentioning their league-best record and # of game lead on both the division and wildcard.

next 25 games - ???

Since my last silver lining thread post (26-28 record)

[Well, here we are 54 games in, exactly 1/3 thru the season. Looking at how our team has performed and all the players that aren't contributing due to injury, I feel ok about being 2 games under .500. If through the next 54 we regress upwards toward what should be our true talent level with some luck and we go, say, 30-24, I would not be surprised if we find ourselves right back in the thick of the race.]

The Brewers have gone 18-9, now have the 3rd best record in the NL and are already back in the thick of the race. Have to give the guys credit for not giving up when things looked bad and also to management for some good moves (bringing up Branyan, closing with Torres etc EDIT: How can I forget about Seth McClung?). Take that Richard Justice!

J.J. Hardy is hitting .324/.378/.676 over the last 28 days, and his BABIP over that time is actually only .315. He obviously won't keep up this pace but it's cool to see that he doesn't have a ridiculously high BABIP while he's doing it so in actuality he hasn't been that "lucky".

J.J. Hardy is hitting .324/.378/.676 over the last 28 days, and his BABIP over that time is actually only .315. He obviously won't keep up this pace but it's cool to see that he doesn't have a ridiculously high BABIP while he's doing it so in actuality he hasn't been that "lucky".

I may be an idiot but how can you have a BA higher than your BABIP? Do HR's not counrt as a Ball in Play or what? I am sorry if I am a moron

fondybrewfan wrote:

Do HR's not counrt as a Ball in Play

No. A ball in play is a ball that a fielder can make a play on. Except in rare cases a fielder can not make a play on a HR ball.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived