Brewer Fanatic

2008 Silver Lining Thread

Playmaker13
  • Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's nice to face bottom feeder teams for a change.

We have still yet to miss a team's ace in a series, outside of the Giants when we missed Cain and Lincecum. You'd think that would somewhat even out by the end of the year. Looks like the best pitcher we will face against the Nats is Tim Redding.

it seems the low batting average/high strikeout hitters are more prone to longer hitting slumps that the high batting average/make contact hitters that might not walk as much as you liked or that don't have a lot of power.

I just want to defend JJ... I don't know if you meant to lump him in fully or not -- I can't call him a 'high strikeout guy.' I also wouldn't call him a 'low-BA' guy, I think he's just off to a slow start. Now he's no .325 hitter, but I think his BA projects a good deal higher than Weeks/Cam/Hall.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

danzig6767 wrote:

Obviously OBP is a more important stat for hitters than their batting average and of course the slugging has to be factored in also, but it seems the low batting average/high strikeout hitters are more prone to longer hitting slumps that the high batting average/make contact hitters that might not walk as much as you liked or that don't have a lot of power.

But when players reach base by means other than hits they are still making a contribution even whe they are not hitting. Weeks has been making a contribution all year even when he is not hiitting. Braun on the other hand who almost never walks, makes no contribution unless he is hitting.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Well, looks like the Brewers have a new #2 starter now --- Seth McClung. Wasn't sure if I should put that in the vent thread or here. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Seriously though, impressive job by McClung tonight.

McClung goes 5 strong, throws tons of strikes (46 of 68), goes after guys.

Torres has a strong showing closing out the game, despite Bill Hall buffoonery.

Russell the Muscle is called up from Nashville.

Cubs lose.

Pretty good day, I'd say.

The Brewers are no longer in the basement, thanks to the Reds stinking even more than the Brewers right now. Coco blows a save, the entire pitching staff gets burned up and an error extends the game so that boy-wonder VOlquez faces one batter too many in an 18-inning loss which they led twice after the ninth.

Things are looking up.

Just digging around baseball-reference.com, and thought I'd share this:

Rickie Weeks

Last 28 days: .234/.354/.404/.758 (.240 BABIP)

Last 14 days: .279/.407/.442/.849 (.313 BABIP)

Last 7 days: .364/.464/.682/1.146 (.375 BABIP)

Mike Cameron

Last 28 days: .239/.307/.489/.796 (.276 BABIP)

Last 14 days: .304/.347/.587/.934 (.367 BABIP)

Last 7 days: .385/.407/.731/1.138 (.421 BABIP)

Just digging around baseball-reference.com, and thought I'd share this:

Rickie Weeks

Last 14 days: .279/.407/.442/.849 (.313 BABIP)

That is about the .OPS I predicted in the offseason prediction thread for him. I think its sustainable for the rest of the year, as that BABIP isn't even that high. Good stuff TLB.

Nats announcers (Ray Knight) are making a big deal out of the fact that the Nats are missing half of their opening day starters (Johnson, Belliard, LaDuca and Kearns). Brewers should have the edge with Sheets pitching to prevent dropping this series.

amazing what playing the Pirates and Nats will do to a struggling player's stats

Certainly helps, doesn't it? But instead of seeing the Zach Duke's and Phil Dumatrait's of the world, we had to go up against Ian Snell and Tom Gorzellany, who are definitely quality pitchers. And up until Redding blew up in the 5th or 6th, he looked nasty.

There's gotta be a silver lining to not missing an ace or aces yet. You'd think that's gonna start to even out soon.

That is about the .OPS I predicted in the offseason prediction thread for him. I think its sustainable for the rest of the year, as that BABIP isn't even that high. Good stuff TLB.

Great point. I agree fully that it's the kind of line Rickie will turn in this season. Given his struggles for the first month+, the AVG is probably a tad high -- I'd guess for him to be in the .250-.270 range, but the other parts look spot-on to me, too. .265/.395/.450 or so is what I think we can expect.

Great point. I agree fully that it's the kind of line Rickie will turn in this season. Given his struggles for the first month+, the AVG is probably a tad high -- I'd guess for him to be in the .250-.270 range, but the other parts look spot-on to me, too. .265/.395/.450 or so is what I think we can expect.

Really...You are happy with .265? I thought this #2 overall pick was supposed to be a 5-tool player. Certainly hitting .265 doesn't satisfy that tool.

lcbj68c wrote:

Really...You are happy with .265? I thought this #2 overall pick was supposed to be a 5-tool player. Certainly hitting .265 doesn't satisfy that tool.

A .265 BA would be a dissapointment compared to expectations for him a few years back, but if he can put up numbers similar to last year's number every year, he will be a top 10 2B offensivley every year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived