Brewer Fanatic

Boston Globe likes the Brewers

splitterpfj

Claudio Vargas would make a great long man. Someone that comes into a game that's already over in the 3rd inning just to give our good relief pitchers some rest. He might also be someone to add on to a trade.

Tony Gwynn is really good at running. If it ever came down to a track meet, Gwynn would give us the win for sure. As long as he never holds a bat in his hands, he can be used by the Brewers.

Johnny Boat Anchor Estrada will face the Brewers in six games this year. That should help them out.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I simply objected to your claim that a playoff caliber team can't afford to have a pitcher like Cappy in their rotation. I don't think you appreciate how low the bar is set for an average #5 pitcher, including teams that are playoff caliber. That or his winless streak has convinced you that Cappy is the worst pitcher, ever. And I also don't appreciate how you can act so surprised that people would be defending Cappy when they are carefully laying out WHY they are more optimistic about him than you are. You are rejecting the analysis because you disagree with its conclusion. I don't think that's really fair.

I'm not rejecting the analysis, Russ; I'm disagreeing with the conclusion and I'm presenting what I feel is a fair counter-analysis based on the "rules" implied through the original analysis.

And I'm not saying that Capuano is the #5, especially if for some insane reason, Yost and Melvin decide that Villy is better suited for the 'pen. IF that happens, Capuano is roughly on the same footing as Bush and Vargas, and only a little bit worse off than Suppan. That's four pitchers there that aren't exactly world beaters that could be the Brewers' #3-5 pitchers. That's what I'm concerned about.

Maybe I'm expecting more out of the rotation than most people, but the bottom line is if the Brewers want to go deep into the playoffs, they need a solid #3, at the very least. And with Sheets' recent history, saying that they need a solid #4 isn't too far of a stretch, either.

I have time to go make myself a sandwich.
Is it a cheese sandwich...?

OK, then, Russ, since Bush, Capuano, Kendall...can all have somewhat logical statistical defenses presented on their behalf, how 'bout a nice challenge?

Anything nice to say about Claudio Vargas? Tony Gwynn, Jr? Or the 3rd head of the Brewers Cerebrus, Johnny Estrada? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Have at it!

Vargas has some nice stuff if he could just stop nibbling so much, that can be said about a lot of guys.

Tony Gwynn Jr's dad was pretty good.

Johnny Estrada is adequate when healthy or at least he was the two years he was fully healthy.

OK, then, Russ, since Bush, Capuano, Kendall...can all have somewhat logical statistical defenses presented on their behalf, how 'bout a nice challenge?

Kendall is junk, IMO. I don't think they the numbers show that he should have a good year. His 2008 projections look terrible, even for a catcher. He's also has an embarrassingly bad arm.

"The numbers" suggest that Bush and Cappy might be average starting pitchers (4.5ish ERA). Is that really such a bold stance?

I didn't like Vargas or Estrada when Melvin traded for him and I still don't. I didn't see anything in "the numbers" to make me optimistic about them. In fact, "the numbers" suggested that they wouldn't be very good in 2007 and they didn't disappoint.

Tony Gwynn Jr? He seems like a really nice guy.

I'm not rejecting the analysis, Russ; I'm disagreeing with the conclusion and I'm presenting what I feel is a fair counter-analysis based on the "rules" implied through the original analysis.

Sorry for the confusion. I wasn't referring to the selective sample battles you and Ennder were having in this thread, since I don't see the point either way. As I said, the whole idea of consistency is lost on me. I don't care what order the good and bad starts came in. And I doubt the criteria you used to decide what starts were good and bad (IP, ERA and win/loss?) are the same that Ennder would use anyway.

Archived