Brewer Fanatic

Thanks alot Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson..not (ie halftime)

jwill535
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was probably 10 feet away from Tom Petty, so I thought the show was amazing. There was a gigantic pyro show planned, but it was slightly raining and the stadium crew decided to shut the roof. I guess there were going to be arrows shot from the roof to the field, illuminating the band in fireworks. As for the performance, and general choice of artist, I don't think they could of picked anyone better. This was the most responsive crowd in the past six years (per a friend who runs game ops for the Superbowl). If a pop/hip hop artist plays, you cut out 80% of the general demographic at the game.

Overall it was a pretty surreal experience. The Alicia Keys pregame concert was also amazing, partly because there were only 400 people for it and partly because she winked at me...or at one of my friends, depending on who you ask.

What I can't stand with these performances is the false fans they run out onto the field and their false enthusiasm of the performance. I can't stand the close ups of some blondes and fratchoades rocking out/pretending to sing along, when everyone knows that they could care less who is on that stage. I wanna see some mullet rockers pumping their fists to Petty instead.

There is a reason why he didn't play anything from Wildflowers because none of them are recognizable.

Whether or not some tenny-bopper that listens to Z104 can pick out a song has nothing to do with how much I like them. I never took issue with anything but you claiming he hadn't turned out any good music in 15-ish years.

Was I waiting for It's Good to be King or Honeybee? No, absolutely not. As many have mentioned, they played the right set.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

There is a reason why he didn't play anything from Wildflowers because none of them are recognizable.

Whether or not some tenny-bopper that listens to Z104 can pick out a song has nothing to do with how much I like them. I never took issue with anything but you claiming he hadn't turned out any good music in 15-ish years.

Was I waiting for It's Good to be King or Honeybee? No, absolutely not. As many have mentioned, they played the right set.

Was it wrong of me for holding out hope for "You Wreck Me" after "American Girl"??

What I can't stand with these performances is the false fans they run out onto the field and their false enthusiasm of the performance. I can't stand the close ups of some blondes and fratchoades rocking out/pretending to sing along, when everyone knows that they could care less who is on that stage. I wanna see some mullet rockers pumping their fists to Petty instead.

It was a free, 4-song set, not a concert. If the real Petty fans wanted to be there, they could have been, and probably were. The reason why you only see young kids is because of the all out sprint to the stage. Count me in as a non-blonde, non-fratchoade.

Although, the OP is right, the days of tossing 15 one-hit wonders up there to lip sync were great. I really miss having Britney Spears/Backstreet Boys/Aerosmith/Busta Rhymes all on stage at the same time, doing different things and lip synching different songs.

Beat me to it. I don't miss that sort of garbage at all. Or like Nelly singing "It's gettin hot in here" had some huge mass appeal for anyone out of high school.

Heck I say they let U2 play every couple years..

Was it wrong of me for holding out hope for "You Wreck Me" after "American Girl"??

I thought that playing "You Got Lucky" would have been a fitting tribute to the gambling community on its holiest of days, but alas...

Tool would be my vote for halftime. In fact just skip the whole game and show a live Tool concert instead.

FTJ,

Are you sure halftime would be long enough for one Vargas(or Suppan with a guy on) plate appearance?

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

i thought it was very bland. I wish there was a way to not go to one extreme and have 80's rock bands or go to mtv timberlake garbage. While its not my thing, a Carrie Underwood who would put on new music and wouldn't make an fool of herself would be a better choice.

I like Petty plenty, and thought he had a good set if a little staid, but the only way he was topping Prince's performance last year to start was if he had started singing a Traveling Wilburys song...and Roy Orbison and George Harrison joined him onstage.

My thoughts...

--Tom Petty is cool.

--I too hate the fake fans, that whole crap started with the Justin Timberlake crap.

--Pretty voices isn't a prerequisite to good music. If you think so, go buy The American Idol albums. That said, I think some singers make their band better (Eddie Vedder comes to mind). But are you really going to diss Tom Petty's music because of the sound of his voice? Or Bob Dylan, Neil Young, Jimi Hendrix, Rush, etc. That American Idol attitude just makes me chuckle.

--I was hoping they'd play "Saving Grace" off the 'new album.' Great song.

Archived