Brewer Fanatic

Thanks alot Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson..not (ie halftime)

jwill535
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like Petty, but he hasn't had a hit song in 17 years. That being said, the first half of the game was extremely boring with no scoring or exciting plays, and then you get Tom Petty standing in front of a giant sized microphone and moving about twice while singing songs that do nothing to really revive a bored crowd or the millions watching on TV. American Girl was great, but the other 3 songs were not exactly get out of your seat and dance songs. The halftime show should feature a performer of some sort. Not a 60 year old rock legend that just stands there and sings. Just my two cents.

I have watched every Super Bowl since V, and I don't think I've ever sat through an entire halftime. The timing was great last night -- I was able to put my son to sleep, read him some stories, etc., without missing much of the actual game.

Tom Petty was fine. He sounded and played like Tom Petty. If you already didn't like his music, you weren't going to enjoy his show.
Amen!! I'm a Tom Petty fan and I enjoyed the show.

Also, are we really critiqing the vocals of rockers?? To me rock isn't supposed to be about pretty vocals. From a pure vocalists stand point, Michael Stipe, Kurt Cobain, Tom Petty, Mick Jagger, etc. all have less than perfect voices, but it's rock, and I really don't listen to it to hear opera like vocals.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

I like Petty, but he hasn't had a hit song in 17 years. That being said, the first half of the game was extremely boring with no scoring or exciting plays, and then you get Tom Petty standing in front of a giant sized microphone and moving about twice while singing songs that do nothing to really revive a bored crowd or the millions watching on TV. American Girl was great, but the other 3 songs were not exactly get out of your seat and dance songs. The halftime show should feature a performer of some sort. Not a 60 year old rock legend that just stands there and sings. Just my two cents.

I like Petty, I have seen him concert a few time and really enjoyed, but I wouldnt call myself a Tom Petty apologist or anything. That being said, 17 years without a hit?? What is your standard for a "hit"? He has released some good albums since 1991, also MJs Last Dance was surely a hit. His album Wildflowers was very good, that was released around 94/95 and I remember it still having legs into 1996. Even "Echo" had some good tunes. I am not as familiar with his latest, but to say he hasnt done anything in 17 years is a little off base.

That being said, 17 years without a hit?? What is your standard for a "hit"? He has released some good albums since 1991, also MJs Last Dance was surely a hit. His album Wildflowers was very good, that was released around 94/95 and I remember it still having legs into 1996.

Good form, RyDogg. I was just coming to post about Wildflowers - actually my favorite Petty album.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I just watched most of the performance on Youtube, and I would say it's Tom Petty doing what he does. I'm not much of a fan, but I like some of his stuff. Of course he's not going to appeal to everyone--no one ever does. I hated the fact that Janet Jackson and Prince have played, but what you gonna do?

Halftime is for beer runs, stepping out for a cigar or using the bathroom.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I like Petty, I have seen him concert a few time and really enjoyed, but I wouldnt call myself a Tom Petty apologist or anything. That being said, 17 years without a hit?? What is your standard for a "hit"? He has released some good albums since 1991, also MJs Last Dance was surely a hit. His album Wildflowers was very good, that was released around 94/95 and I remember it still having legs into 1996. Even "Echo" had some good tunes. I am not as familiar with his latest, but to say he hasnt done anything in 17 years is a little off base.

Yes, a little off base, 14 years instead of 17. Wildflowers had a couple good songs, none of which were played last night. I also just checked the Echo song list from 1999, zero hit or recognizable songs. MJs Last Dance was released 1/1/93.

You would think with 7,711 posts and a long history here at BF.net that I would have gotten a personalized "user title" earlier than this. That being said, I am thrilled to be the Tom Petty Apologist. That cracks me up. Time to bust out Full Moon Fever and party like its 1990.

Ha! Very nice.

Wildflowers had a couple good songs, none of which were played last night.

Wildflowers imo has zero weak tracks, but I think Barbs just isn't a fan of Petty, so no use in debating - all subjective. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

So you are saying that the Timberlake/Jackson halftime was good? Frankly, the Super Bowl halftime has sucked since the beginning. For the first several years, I think the halftime show was "Up With People", can't get any worse than that.

Got to love how every year on every message board, someone has to comment on how bad the halftime show was.

I thought Petty was a little weak on the first song but did just fine afterwards. I thought it was funny how a buddy of mine me said that he was seriously debating whether to see Petty at Summerfest this year, but after watching the Halftime show, he decided not to. On a side note, has Bruce Springsteen ever done a Halftime show? He's not my favorite, but he sure would seem to be a natural for it. I can't remember him doing one. I would assume he has been asked but declined.

no i pretty much have hated every half time show other then Prince last year. I would rather listen to my 18 month old cry(due to her total lack of regard for her body or well being I ended listening to) then listen to 99% of the people they trot out there for halftime.

Also, are we really critiqing the vocals of rockers??
I do, because it's my training. Even though with rock music (or pop music in general), it's not about "prettiness", you still should be using good vocal technique that make your sound supported and not that your eyeballs are going to start bulging out.

Ha! Very nice.

Wildflowers had a couple good songs, none of which were played last night.

Wildflowers imo has zero weak tracks, but I think Barbs just isn't a fan of Petty, so no use in debating - all subjective. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

As I stated, I like Petty. But as a casual fan. There is a reason why he didn't play anything from Wildflowers because none of them are recognizable. Petty is a legend but the Super Bowl is just not the place for him. It was a concert and not a "show". The Super Bowl halftime show should have more entertainment value than that. Someone like Springsteen would be great because he would at least interact with the crowd and move around a little. Just my opinion.

OK, could someone post a short list of people that they would accept as a SB halftime performer?? Or what these performers should do to properly entertain us?

I saw one person mention Maroon 5 or The Killers. How are they more "entertainment" than Petty? As far as I know they are both radio-friendly bands and would appeal to teens, but I couldnt tell you one song they are known for. At least Petty is considered "classic."

So, BF.net, you have 12-15 minutes to fill for the Super Bowl halftime show. Go ahead, tell me what you would do with it entertainment wise. Blow my mind.

OK, could someone post a short list of people that they would accept as a SB halftime performer?? Or what these performers should do to properly entertain us?

I saw one person mention Maroon 5 or The Killers. How are they more "entertainment" than Petty? As far as I know they are both radio-friendly bands and would appeal to teens, but I couldnt tell you one song they are known for. At least Petty is considered "classic."

So, BF.net, you have 12-15 minutes to fill for the Super Bowl halftime show. Go ahead, tell me what you would do with it entertainment wise. Blow my mind.

I just think that for an SB halftime performance to be memorable, there has to be a "WOW" factor from a visual standpoint and not just be the band standing there playing songs. For example, during Prince's set when they dropped that huge white curtain and it was a silhouette of him playing his guitar....that was just cool to look at. Or with U2 - forget the screen with all the 9/11 names, the coolest thing to me was the stage setup (which they kind of used again on the Vertigo tour) that allowed Bono to sprint out into the crowd and be surrounded by the masses of people. If he had just stayed up on the main stage with the rest of the band members for the whole set, it would have been boring.

So, in essence, I think you need the show to look cool and it also helps if the band is young-ish (comparatively speaking - i.e. U2, Prince are of a different generation than Rolling Stones and McCartney) and they interact with the crowd.

I think there are a number of bands that could pull it off - Foo Fighters, The Killers, Coldplay, Red Hot Chili Peppers are the ones that first come to my mind that would have the broad popular appeal necessary to headline.

Foo Fighters, The Killers, Coldplay, or Chili Peppers would not appeal to the masses. In fact, a country guy like Kenny Chesney, Tim McGraw or Keith Urban would appeal to more people than that. Even Carrie Underwood. I'm 33 and between Foo Fighters, The Killers, and Coldplay, i can't even name one song. In fact, I never heard of The Killers.

Overall, I'm fine with the Super Bowl Halftime entertainment. It is what it is and you'll never please everybody.

Chili Peppers would not appeal to the masses.

50 million records sold, 7 Grammy Awards, two of the most iconic albums of the 1990's, and a notable appearance on "The Simpsons".

Yeah, nobody's ever heard of them...http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/eyes.gif

Archived