Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 1)

razzzorsharp
Ned, why Gwynn over Gross? Doesn't seem to make much sense.

Defense. It's not just for late innings. I'm not sure why he'll hit second though. It's epseiclly odd since the whole idea of Kendall hitting ninth is to have two lead off men. Not something I'm in agreement with to begin with but now we have three leadoff guys in a row? Just when the heck is someone supposed to drive in that ever extending string of leadoff guys?

Not just that, the Brewers have two left handed hitters and Yost is hitting them back to back. Now neither Gwynn nor Fielder should have huge platoon splits, but why make it easier for opposing managers?

Prince can hit lefties andif it leads other managers to putting in a loogy and takingout a better overall pitcher I think that can be a benefit as well.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And of all the places to put him, let's bat him right next to the only other lefty. I'm having a hard time containing my anger right now.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

Well it seems Tony Gwynn will be starting in CF and batting 2nd.
For what it is worth, I know Ned said he wanted to maintain continuity in his offense. Since he plans on batting Cameron 2nd when he returns, whoever fills in for Cameron will also bat 2nd.

Ned doesn't want to juggle the line-up this year.

I doubt that makes you feel better, but there you go. As for Gwynn and Prince batting back to back - we will just wear through opponents bullpens faster. If you bring in a LHP to face them, you have to remove that pitcher for Braun. (As Braun kills LHP)

now we have three leadoff guys in a row? Just when the heck is someone supposed to drive in that ever extending string of leadoff guys?

Tony Gwynn is fast. Fast /= "good defender" or "leadoff guy"

To the literal question, Dusty ( http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif ), we happen to have a slugger or two on this team. Clogging the bases is what this squad should be all about.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

i can't believe ned has the nerve to talk about lineup continuity. this is guy who juggled last years lineup more than bobo at a birthday party. I wish ned would just come out say, "hey, i manage the way i feel like managing. If morning oatmeal tells to buck the statistics i will, if my OJ says counsell needs 3-400 abs i'll do it".

Well it seems Tony Gwynn will be starting in CF and batting 2nd.
For what it is worth, I know Ned said he wanted to maintain continuity in his offense. Since he plans on batting Cameron 2nd when he returns, whoever fills in for Cameron will also bat 2nd.

I doubt that makes you feel better, but there you go. As for Gwynn and Prince batting back to back - we will just wear through opponents bullpens faster. If you bring in a LHP to face them, you have to remove that pitcher for Braun. (As Braun kills LHP)

And if you separate them, Gwynn won't have to face a lefty because they'll save the LOOGY for Prince. Or they bring the lefty to face Gwynn and Prince doesn't have to face the submariner. Separating lefties goes through bullpens faster.

If you bring in a LHP to face them, you have to remove that pitcher for Braun. (As Braun kills LHP)

They're still going to bring in lefties to face Fielder. Why give them two lefties to go after? It doesn't change the fact that they'll take lefties out for Braun.

For the life of me I can't figure out why, if he's so set on batting Gwynn second, he wouldn't just hit Braun 3rd. Though I don't believe in the 'running more' theory, any loss in stolen bases from Braun would be made up by the fact that Cameron can steal more.

i can't believe ned has the nerve to talk about lineup continuity. this is guy who juggled last years lineup more than bobo at a birthday party. I wish ned would just come out say, "hey, i manage the way i feel like managing. If morning oatmeal tells to buck the statistics i will, if my OJ says counsell needs 3-400 abs i'll do it".
I guess this misconception has yet to be put to rest. Ned was in about the middle of MLB in terms of different lineups last year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I guess this misconception has yet to be put to rest. Ned was in about the middle of MLB in terms of different lineups last year.

i'd be interested to see your source. did it exclude changes becuase of injury?

my point is that he was a juggler last year (esp at the start) and now he isn't. He uses stats sometimes and other times he uses "flow of the game". There just seems to be no pattern in his decision making. I wouldn't have a problem with that style if it were effective.

Venting about that yuppie idiot in the first row with his Cubs flag that he probably got last week after he found out it was the 100 year anniversary since they won the World Series.

If you log on to MLB main website you can have a look at the other type of Cubs fans: obnoxious, drunken college students.

afeter wrote:

my point is that he was a juggler last year (esp at the start) and now he isn't. He uses stats sometimes and other times he uses "flow of the game". There just seems to be no pattern in his decision making. I wouldn't have a problem with that style if it were effective.

He was perceived to be a juggler. It will take time to get a complete list, probably sometime tomorrow, but right now so far it is 108 lineups for Yost. One guy at 87 and a couple at 140+. Look at CBS sports. I am sure there is an easier way to look it up, but I don't know what that would be. My guess is that the 108 includes the pitcher.

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/teams/depth-chart/MIL

I blame Wang.

I just read on Jsonline that Yost is leaning towards batting Bill Hall 5th instead of Hart! Maybe i'm wrong here, but Hart is a much better hitter than Hall so he should be batting behind Braun!
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Oh geez... we went through that in 2004 and ended up with goodies like Brady Clark hitting fifth. Yuckomundo!

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

And of all the places to put him, let's bat him right next to the only other lefty. I'm having a hard time containing my anger right now.

I seem to remember people getting awfully upset at the suggestion that Vargas would make the rotation over Villy or Parra. Why don't we wait until they actually start and put out a roster rather than go off of what people are guessing the roster may be to get upset about it?

All this hate of Bush is going to drive me nuts. Why does everybody think that Bush couldn't get out of the 5th inning. Never mind the fact that Bush was one of our best pitchers at getting at least 6+ and many times 7. They all want Bush in the pen. Why put a guy who is pretty likley to get you 200+ innings if given a chance in the pen. I think it mostly stems from love of Villy. Hey I like the guy too, but he doesn't have better stuff than Bush.

http://www.sportsradio1250.com/pages/300750.php

I blame Wang.

I can't believe that we're on page 2 of the vent thread and the regular season hasn't even started yet.

Can this thread please just be the pre-season/spring training version? Our trial run for the year, if you will?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived