Brewer Fanatic

2008 Vent Thread (part 1)

razzzorsharp

I looked/searched for the new one and could not find it, am I just missing it?

Anyway, as I start this new year (a month late) I still see the Brewers being disrespected. First off, why is my FSN not in HD. Stupid Charter and there overpriced cable that doesn't give me much for substance. Second, why is there Packer apparel day at my school but never a Brewers day? Third, I am really getting sick of the Cubs radio that I get. Yes, they are the favorites but the division is not a forgone conclusion. These guys are talking about the Mets being the only team that can now stop them. Fourth, this is the worst month of the year for sports watching. The Bucks stink, the Big Ten Network doesn't allow for me to watch games, and we still got two more weeks till pitchers and catchers report.

Last, I still get a little sick when there is talk, albeit radio even, about the possibility of Vargas being the 5th starter over the host of others. We have promising players (Parra/Villy) or those who could do a better job (Bush/Cappy) that would be better choices. Please Ned, make this a Claudio free rotation barring a series of unfortunate events.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

C'mon RS, the arrogance of Chicago radio makes it enjoyable as they shift into hate mode on their own teams. How about those Bears?

The two weeks will be over soon.

I'm one of seven members of the Cuh-LAHW-diooooooo fan club. My guess is Parra will be stashed in AAA to start the season just because its possible. I'm hoping that scrappy Cappy is being groomed for sale in spring training. I certainly hope so. Bush is ok, but not much more than that. Ned talks about him as if the two are carrying on an inappropriate relationship. Nothing would make me happier than watching both of them somewhere else.

Formerly AKA Pete

For better or for worse: Positional changes. They just irritate me.

Moving lifelong infielders to the outfield, and in some cases back again to the infield, but only to play a spot where they have not logged a ton of innings.

In a perfect world, I want the players to be absolutely comfortable with their defensive position when they make the major league club. I don't like it when Brewers have to "learn-as-they-go" once the season starts. I just think it's possible that learning a new defensive position adversely affects a player's offensive game. That could be a totally irrational fear I have - one that I can't back up. But I think that it's at least plausible.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Pre-emptive vent on people booing too much.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

For better or for worse: Positional changes. They just irritate me.

Moving lifelong infielders to the outfield, and in some cases back again to the infield, but only to play a spot where they have not logged a ton of innings.

In a perfect world, I want the players to be absolutely comfortable with their defensive position when they make the major league club. I don't like it when Brewers have to "learn-as-they-go" once the season starts. I just think it's possible that learning a new defensive position adversely affects a player's offensive game. That could be a totally irrational fear I have - one that I can't back up. But I think that it's at least plausible.

Part of the problem is lack of foresight by Melvin and Co. Moving a career middle infielder to CF to make room for what can only be described as a guy who plays Third Base with a frying pan for a glove and a sling shot for an arm was very short-sighted by Melvin and Co. Hall has to be held accountable for this offensive stats last year, but Melvin surely didnt do him any favors by dropping him into CF to make room for what was initially Counsell/Graffy and then Edward Butcherhands.

Yeah, I agree RyDogg (I love your new title by the way).

It bugs me that the countless hours spent by Hall and Braun practicing and playing CF and 3B respectively last year will in no way contribute to the success of this year's team. If anything, by delaying their defensive growth at 3B and LF respectively, that right there could be the difference between winning or losing a few games this year - you never know. Not to mention the time put in by numerous coaches last year during Spring Training and the regular season helping those two guys defensively. It just seems like a lot of wasted effort.

But I can't worry about all that right now. That is the past. I need to focus on the current season. I just needed to do a little venting.

• 1 month later...

Well it seems Tony Gwynn will be starting in CF and batting 2nd. Starting Gwynn over Gross vs RHP is a friggin crime. Late last year, we did so well with Gross batting behind Weeks. One of the two or both always seemed to be on for Braun and Prince.

Gwynn should really only be used for late inning defense and pinch running.

Archived