Brewer Fanatic

Extra Starter for Wilson Betemit?

DrWood
Yankees don't have much in the way of veteran starting pitchers (wang and pettitte are still fine) and could use another to lessen the reliance on chamberlain, hughes, kennedy. If the Yanks just signed Ensberg, Betemit is much less needed. Tell Billy and Betemit that they will BOTH be super-subs. Give Betemit half the starts vs. RH (he does better vs. them) as 3B, give Hall the rest of the starts, and they can back up all over the place (betemit has played all IF positions and corner OF).

DrWood,

I like the idea of a starter for Betemit, but I wouldn't be ready to start him over or equal to Hall. I'd use him against the tough righthanders maybe once or twice a week.

If I could get Betemit for Vargas and Counsell (who the Yankees could use as middle infield backup), now that would make sense, especially now with Nunez in the organization.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Betemit would be a great sub to have on the team against righties. His OPS over the past three years is at .841 vs righties (.631 vs lefties, so you don't want him out there full time). He's played some SS and 2B, although I don't know how well, especially for a fairly big guy. But if you could get him in as a sub at SS, 2B and 3B - even OF a bit - you could get him a 50 starts or so. Valuable guy to have on a team weak with left handed hitters. Would love to have him. Would Vargas do it for the Yanks? Maybe I'm wishful.

He sounds like the Yin to Dillon's Yang.

Munson

Counsell

Dillon

Betemit

Gross

Gwynn on the roster while Cameron is suspended

I'm not sure that's the best use of our excess SP, I'd probably prefer just a prospect or a better backup catcher, but its a thought.

Archived