Brewer Fanatic

NYY signs Morgan Ensberg (1yr/?)

Time will tell if this will be the Ensberg with whom (or at least with his OBP) so many of us were enamored this offseason, or if this merely becomes Josh Phelps - the Sequel! Low risk, and really low $$, I'm sure, by NYY standards, for exactly the kind of bat to slot between Jeter & Abreu.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That's too bad. I guess my avatar is pretty useless now. Oh well, Mike Cameron pretty much sealed the deal that the Brewers wouldn't be going after Ensberg. I do think this was a pretty good move by the Yankees. He could be a very good bat to have off the bench or playing some first base.

I am of the belief Ensberg will be nothing more tha n a highly paid utiliy player for the Yankees. they probably paid him more to sit on the bench than other teams were going to pay him to actually play. I have to believe he signed for a chance at a world series ring, and that his career as a regular player is basically over. As many people pointed out in the other ensberg threads, there must be somethig seriously wrong wit h him for so many other GMs to have passed on him twice in one year - once through waivers, and again by not wanting to sign hi m as a free agent. perhaps he can still hit but can no longer cover third base.

his signing with the Yankees looks like it was made for two reasons: first to gain some of the sports page away from the mets trading for Santana. second - to serve as an insurance policy against possible injury to Jeter or AROD. I am almost led to believe Hank Seinbrenner told Cashman to sign somebody today and he didn't care who he signed just to keep the mets from getting all the press. So Cashman went down the list of free agents and found one that would sign today. i guess barry Bonds was on the phone at the time or else he could now be the guy wearing pin stripes.

According to Jerry Crasnick, it's a minor league deal with Ensberg getting $1.75 million if he's added to the 40-man. He also has the potential to earn $2.25 million if he piles up 525 plate appearances. Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3224591. The Yankees' 40-man is currently full, but Carl Pavano, Humberto Sanchez, and Andrew Brackman are going to be moved to the 60-day DL in March, so Ensberg will likely get his cash then. He'll compete for the 1B job with guys like Shelley Duncan, Betemit, and Jason Giambi.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

perhaps he'll get some spring training at bats, and the yankees will trade him it sounds as if nobody really wanted him except us brewer fans , and the yankees are giving him a chance to showcase himself. I suspec t if some team makes him a major league offer out of spring training, the Yankees will allow him to leave.

That doesn't make sense though - the contract is that if he makes the 40-man out of ST, he's got a major-leauge guaranteed contract. If Ensberg is good enough to make a MLB roster in ST, his OBP alone will justify the Yanks paying him $1.75 mil.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived