Brewer Fanatic

Top 100 prospects in baseball

Ennder

I would just like to put it out there that I think Manny Parra is being extremely underrated in these polls. I am sure his injury history has something to do with that, but if this kid can stay healthy I really think he will be special. Barring injury I will predict right now that by year's end Manny Parra will be the best pitcher on the Milwaukee Brewers staff. Left handed pitchers that can run it up to 94-95 and have three other solid pitches don't come around to much. I love Ben and Yo, don't get me wrong, but I really believe Manny has the most potential of any pitcher in the organization. I really hope is injury issues are behind him and he can go on to live up to his great potential!

You may be right about Parra, but staying healthy has to be considered part of the skill set when rating prospects. Parra's had 6 years of professional ball and as near as I can tell by looking at his stats, he's stayed healthy all year in one season, 2003.

I agree 100% about Parra, and I think this site as a whole generally thinks higher of him that other outlets by his placement as the #1 prospect on both the Power 50 and the fan poll, although it seems most places have him ranked fairly close to LaPorta.

I agree that his injury history doesn't help.

Gamel is another guy that is often overlooked, which I don't think will be true at this time next year. I don't expect BP to be very high on Alcides Escobar.

I would just like to put it out there that I think Manny Parra is being extremely underrated in these polls.
Keith Law pointed out in his rankings that Parra still has a somewhat unusual delivery that requires some effort. So most evaluators believe that enhances his injury potential.

Callis of Baseball America also ranked Parra as a #3 starter, which seems to be the general feel. However, Callis did point out that a #3 starter in MLB means that there are only about 60 pitchers better than you. That is pretty impressive.

Not sure where to post this tidbit, but Callis is a pretty big Braun supporter. In his last chat, he stated several times that he would take Jay Bruce over Ryan Braun. That is some very high praise for Bruce.

I should have pointed out that Keith Law also has an insider blog listing his top-5 prospects in each organization.

1. LaPorta

2. Parra

3. Escobar

4. Salome

5. Jeffress

I guess he isn't too worried about the suspensions handed out to Salome and Jeffress. I can't imagine not having Gamel on that list.

His quote on Jeffress...

Jeffress is a one-pitch guy who's athletic and has decided that he'd rather smoke dope than play pro baseball. He's not a top 50 prospect - that is INSANITY. He's the new Pete Stonard.

Im surprised Will Inman isn't on the list.

I thought of that as well because I haven't really paid much attention to him since he got traded. Weird how he was projected a top prospect in our organization, gets traded, and suddenly his ceiling is a #4 guy. I can't find it right now, but I read something from a San Diego paper that said all the guys the Padres got from us had statistics that were much higher than their actual abilities.

Last year, Inman was #75 in the top 100 from Baseball Prospectus. He was also the 3rd highest prospect in the Brewers farm, from what I can see (behind Yo and Braun).

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Yea, I think the fact that the comment that the players they got all had much higher numbers than their talent is a testament to the Brewers staff which is no real surprise.

As for the Bruce over Braun comment, that's just a "wow" comment to me. Callis says something that'll make people go "wow", this Bruce must be really good. It's stupid. He very well may be, but a rookie coming off a 1.000 OPS is pretty special and before you say you're going to take Bruce over him, he outta prove something. I have to think the Reds would be willing to trade Bruce for Braun at this point, even with one less year of control.

Inman wasn't real impressive in AA last year.

Right, and when a guy stinks it up in AA, and is the dreaded "control" pitcher in the minors, that's usually a very good sign that you deal him while he's still got value. I was leading the "deal Inman" charge, and I generally don't like trading prospects.

And to clarify the control comment, obviously I'm not suggesting that control is bad whatsoever, just that generally when a pitcher gets labeled as a control guy early in his minor league career, he's got average stuff, as was the case with Inman.

And how bout the D-Rays with 6 of the top 40, including 3 pitchers. I will be rooting for them the next few years in that division. It would be nice to see a team from the AL east actually be successful with teams they developed, not bought.

Archived