Brewer Fanatic

CC Sabathia

Worthless as far as trade value goes, but not worthless to the Brewers as a prospect. He's a sunken cost for us so if we can get any major league production from him, great, but no team is going to offer much to take that risk.

well, lets go acquire a dozen Mark Rogers comparables from other team's organizations if they have so little trade value. One of them will turn out to be an Ace. Oh, my mistake...there might only be one or two guys on other teams organizations that are comparable. The mistake some of you are making is to assume he had major surgery because he was held out last season. It was relatively minor surgery, but they were being conservative--as you should be with a VALUABLE FORMER 1ST ROUND PICK!

At this moment, Rogers should be considered to be somewhere in the teens among brewers prospects. He could deserve being in the top 3 before the season is over.

....And Josh Hamilton was left off of the Rays' 40-man last year. If they can both stay on the diamond and put up even average results, with good peripherals (K's and K/9...I won't put my Bushy stat up there K/BB), then we can put them back into the discussion about top prospects. As for CC, I wouldn't be opposed to making a push for him, Villy and Escobar (there was talk of them attempting to move Jhonny in a trade so they might be down with Alcides), but the only way they're selling CC is if Sizemore/Hafner/Fausto/Borowski..joking are out.

from the begining of this thread , i had big time doubts that the indians would allow CC to leave without giving him a very nice extension offer. the Indians do have some cash stored away. I have to believe the indians would not be willing to trade Sabathia away.

however, there are other quality starters out there, and I think the prospects named above could probably be sufficient to be used in obtaining one of those other quality pitchers.

With reference to Rogers, I would think by the trade deadline he would have enough starts under his belt to prove he is either back to his former level and worthy of being traded, or that he has gone the route of Gold and becomes another first round failed choice. I guess the same case could be made for Jones. At what point do you leave a guy like Jones unprotected?

one of the fortunate/unfortunate parts of the upcoming draft is that the brewers can use it to draft a bunch of pitching prospects. What hasn't been talked about much is that all those extra first and second round picks are going to want bonuses, so this draft could be a real expensive one or several of those top picks could go unsigned. This would defeat the entire purpose of being able to obtain those top picks.

I wouldnt mind going after Sabathia in FA even though in all likelihood we wouldnt have a prayer. That contract also would help us sign our young guys. This is of course assuming we let go of Sheets. However that being said my priorities before the beginning of the 2009 would be:

1. Extend Fielder

2. Extend Hart

3. Extend Weeks

4. Extend Hardy

5. Sign a pitcher in the $13-15M a year range (Obviously has to be worth it)

6. Resign Sheets

7. Sign Sabathia ($17M + a year)

I would under no circumstances trade for Sabathia at the deadline. The Indians arent going to trade him and it is essential the the Crew keeps its farm system fully loaded because reloading will inevitably be necessary in say 4 years (notice I didnt say rebuild)

• 2 weeks later...

Mark Rogers value is minimal on the trade market. His potential is amazing, although odds are that it is very slim he reaches his potential. So basically you have a guy with "Ace" stuff that has way to many red flags for any team willing to offer up more than a very minimal return for him. Therefore you have a situation where his original team can only keep him and try and help him reach his potential. You've got a "potential" B+ or A- prospect that I would bet most teams would say has the value of a C- prospect.

Gamel appears to be a nice player, a real nice player. He probably isn't good enough defensively to be a third baseman where his value would be maximized. As a Left Fielder or Firstbaseman he would dramatically lose value because he isn't the prototype. It seems like he might end up being a Lyle Overbay or Scott Hatteberg type. Nice players but not irreplacable.

Jeffress is someone I really wouldn't know how to value, and I would assume that across the league his trade value would fluctuate dramatically. Character issues, and a limited minor league track record hurt his value. Is he Jose Cappellan or is he a viable frontline starter?

If you put Parra into a trade with those three, perhaps that would make a very intriguing offer for a rebuilding team.

Parra would give them a majors ready who could be a star. Jeffress would be the lower level high ceiling prospect that could have a dramatic impact on the franchise in a few years. Gamel would give them another majors ready player, albeit lower ceiling. Rogers really would be the nugget of the deal.

Since Sabathia just turned down and ended contract extension talks with Cleveland after they offered an 18-million/year contract, me thinks that Milwaukee won't be drafting any contract offers for C.C. next offseason, either.

I would agree, unless Mark A suddenly becomes a terrible businessman.

• 3 weeks later...
Mark Rogers value is minimal on the trade market. His potential is amazing, although odds are that it is very slim he reaches his potential. So basically you have a guy with "Ace" stuff that has way to many red flags for any team willing to offer up more than a very minimal return for him. Therefore you have a situation where his original team can only keep him and try and help him reach his potential. You've got a "potential" B+ or A- prospect that I would bet most teams would say has the value of a C- prospect.

Again, the original argument was if he was healthy the first half of the season and looked to have rebounded from those arm injuries.

I think some are so eager to prove they're not "homers", they drastically overstate how much value, or lack thereof some of our prospects have, or even COULD have in our made up rhetorical scenario's.

Again, if Mark Rogers proves he's healthy and has a good 1st half, he'd be a valuable trading chip. Nobody's suggesting he'd get CC on his own, but to call him worthless? In an attempt to not get another strike, I'll just politely say "I disagree".

Archived