Brewer Fanatic

Rank the NL as of right now.

ELCABALLO45

I'm doing this based on the order who I think will have the best record...not necessarily who I think will win the NLCS or will be the "best" team in the NL...

1. Mets

2. Brewers

3. Diamondbacks

4. Phillies

5. Cubs

6. Dodgers

7. Rockies

8. Braves

9. Padres

10. Cardinals

11. Astros

12. Reds

13. Marlins

14. Nationals

15. Pirates

16. Giants

1. Mets - Seems pretty obvious

2. Dodgers - This is a really good team if they let the younger guys play

3. Phillies - A lot depends on Lidge but this is still a good team.

4. Braves - Good lineup, ok pitching, strong bullpen.

5. Brewers - The cameron signing is biggest upgrade in the NL Central this season, the defensive rearrangement is worth 4-5 wins.

6. Rockies - Took a hot streak to sneak into the playoffs, I don't see a repeat.

7. Cubs - Soto won't be as good as people think, Fukudome will take some time to adjust, the rotation will regress.

8. Diamondbacks - This was a sub .500 team last year and even with the Haren upgrade they'll have problems competing in that division this year.

9. Padres - This team is on a downward trend.

10. Reds - I love the Reds young guys, they are the one team that could mature early and be 4-5 spots above where I pick them.

11. Astros - this is a really poorly built team with no long term future, this is a huge drop from #10 with the Reds having as hot at .500 and the Astros having a shot at 90 losses.

12. Marlins - meh

13. Giants - worst franchise in baseball when you take $$ into account and yes I think it is worse than Baltimore which is shocking.

14. Cardinals - They need to rebuild big time.

15. Nationals - No pitching

16. Pirates - small market + poorly run = bad results.

EAST

Mets (1)

Phillies (3)

Braves (8)

Marlins (13)

Nationals (16)

CENTRAL

Brewers (4)

Cubs (7)

Reds (9)

Astros (11)

Pirates (12)

Cardinals (15)

WEST

Padres (2)

Dodgers (5)

Diamondbacks (6)

Rockies (10)

Giants (14)

Diamondbacks - This was a sub .500 team last year and even with the Haren upgrade they'll have problems competing in that division this year.

The Dbacks were 90-72 last year and tied for the division lead. You can think they were a sub .500 team because of pythogorean W/L but that's an opinion, 90-72 is fact.

The Dbacks were 90-72 last year and tied for the division lead. You can think they were a sub .500 team because of pythogorean W/L but that's an opinion, 90-72 is fact.

Yes their record was a fact but that has nothing to do with their talent. I find it really funny that you posted that and then listed them as the 3rd best team in the division even though they most likely had the biggest offseason in the division.

1. Mets - no question here.

2. Phillies - so much offense, can the pitching hold water? can they compete with the mets?

3. Rockies - the rox have developed solid pitching for the first time in years (ever?)

4. Brewers - still need to produce to justify the talent

5. Diamondbacks - pitching upgrade + lots of improving youth

6. Cubs - offense, offense, offense...and? the pitching can't possibly follow last season

7. Dodgers - well-rounded, but how good?

8. Braves - solid veterans, but the nl east is finally too much for the braves

9. Padres - needed offense, didn't add any

10. Reds - biggest unknown in the nl, lots of "ifs"

11. Astros - ramshackle is the word that comes to mind

12. Cardinals - with pitching they could be on the verge of respectable

13. - 16. Marlins, Giants Nationals, Pirates - take your pick

Community Moderator

East:

Mets (1)

Phillies (2)

Braves (8)

Nationals (14)

Marlins (16)

Central:

Cubs (5)

Brewers (6)

Reds (10)

Astros (11)

Cardinals (12)

Pirates (15)

West:

Rockies (3)

Dodgers (4)

Padres (7)

Diamondbacks (9)

Giants (13)

The West is going to be an exciting division

Pythagorean W/L is a fact too. Whether it's a more relevant fact than actual record is a matter of opinion. That said, yes, when I hear "sub-.500 team," I assume we're talking about the team's actual wins and losses. But that's semantics, not a difference between fact and opinion.

Greg.

1. Mets

2. Diamondbacks

3. Rockies

4. Brewers

5. Cubs

6 Dodgers

7. Phillies

8. Padres

9. Braves

10. Astros

11. Reds

12. Nationals

13. Marlins

14. Giants

15. Pirates

16. Cardinals

Any of the top 9 are realistic playoff contenders. I think the NL will beat the AL head to head this year.

While I tend to agree the D-Backs weren't as good as their record last year, they added Blanton which is almost as significant as Mets adding Santana.

The Mets landed Santana - yay for them, but aren't we giving their roster a little too much credit?

Pedro Martinez is not the Boston Pedro - he'll be lucky to make over 1/2 a season's worth of starts while dealing with arm problems.

The back end of their rotation is really inconsistent, and in El Duque's case, 50 years old. The little depth they had with young starters in the minor leagues is mostly now in Minnesota. They have a solid bullpen on paper, but injuries have plagued their pen, and Billy Wagner isn't a spring chicken any more.

Delgado's power numbers regressed big time last season, and Alou can't play every day. Their lineup is still very good, but defensively, age and injuries are starting to limit their abilities (with the exception of Reyes and Wright, obviously).

the Mets have a very good roster and a very good chance to get to the World Series - if none of their regulars get injured. They have plenty of big names, but aside from Santana, this team absolutely choked the division away last September. They remind me more of the Mets teams with Mo Vaughn, Robbie Alomar, Burnitz, and other big name players who couldn't stay on the field and really underperformed.

Fear,

You make excellent points (you even forgot to mention that Matt Wise is listed as 3rd guy in the bullpen depth chart). Still if Martinez is healthy, and Perez pitches like he did last year, they have 4 pretty tough starters.

I honestly think any of 9 teams could get to the World Series.

Their lineup is still very good, but defensively, age and injuries are starting to limit their abilities (with the exception of Reyes and Wright, obviously).

I don't think Beltran has hit any wall yet, either... the addition of Ryan Church is one that could well pay dividends this season, too.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Personally, I think Milledge will outperform Church by himself this year. I think the Mets will regret that trade big time.

An everyday lineup with Delgado and Alou needs to have depth. They traded Gomez and Milledge.

A staff that leans on El Duque and Pedro needs depth. They traded their depth to Minnesota.

If they don't lose Wright, Beltran, Reyes, or Santana, they will win 90 games. If any get hurt and they don't make the playoffs, Minaya is as good as gone. They went from a top ten Minor league system, to a bottom ten in one trade. Big gamble.

1. mets--consensus is the most powerful force in the universe, who am I to fight it

2. diamondbacks--haren is best sighning of the off season, young guys galore

3. rockies--pitching trumps hitting, and they got some offensive studs as well, that why....

4. phillies--are 4th, offensive machine

These are the contenders. Any of them could legitmately get to the world series.

5. dodgers--good balance

6. cubbies--only because they won the division, I suspect the Crew is better

7. brewers--starting piching tanks the crew, they gotta get significantly better here

8. reds--scary young talent, the new brewers

These teams could sneak into the playoffs, but they're classic pretenders

9. padres--Peavy better be better than last year

10. barves--where are the old days?

These two teams are the real disappointments teams of the new season

11 thru rest. who cares

Archived