Brewer Fanatic

Obscure Brewers - Where are they now?

jaybird2001wi

Has anyone ever wondered what past obscure Brewers are up to these days? Most notably "prospects" who never panned out or guys we traded for that never panned out? I also always wondered what happened to guys who had injury histories that had their careers cut short. Here is what I have knowledge of former Brewers:

1) Pat Listach - Manages Cubs AAA team in Iowa
2) Kyle Peterson - Was an ESPN color commentator during College World Series
3) Matt Mieske - Hitting coach somewhere in the minors.
4) Doug Henry - former UW-Whitewater pitching coach, was arrested in Oshkosh during a melee between UWW and UWO when he punched a freshman baseball player of UW-Oshkosh. Now is the pitching coach for the Class A Braves team.
5) Dave Krynzel - retired?
6) Nick Neugebauer - retired, but what does he do now?
7) Mark Ciardi (former pitching prospect in the 80's) - now is a movie producer, produced the movie, "The Rookie" starring Randy Quaid.

Here are some obscure Brewers I don't know about:
1) Marc Newfield
2) Mike Felder
3) Glenn Braggs
4) Teddy Higuera
5) Antone Williamson
6) JM Gold

Steve Sparks.

Motivational speaker?

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

well, Wikipedia says that Glenn Braggs is married to a former Miss Black America California, so i'd guess whatever he's doing now, he's pretty happy.

Braggs was totally my favourite player growing up. i remember watching a game and seeing him break a bat across his back on a swingthrough. it was awesome.

Jaybird, I'm guessing you're on the younger side. Being in my 20s and 30s when most of those guys were in the mix, half of them aren't obscure - they're just from an earlier era. Doug Henry was a very solid closer for a year or two and put in a lot of years in the bigs. Felder, Braggs, & Higuera spent many years in the bigs. Higuera was the Brewers' best pitcher in the late '80s before his arm problems.

Matt Mieske was the guy I thought would be my hero for many years after the Sheffield trade. MVP of his league two straight years in the minors (sound like Corey Hart in that way?). Solid tools all around. Unfortunately, never could put it all together in the bigs. I did see him hit 2 homers (among the 5 or 6 the Crew hit that night) in the 10-2 (or 11-2 or 12-2, whatever) win against the Twins the night after Scott Erickson no-hit the Crew.

When you start digging into names like Willie Lozados, Carlos Ponce, George Canale, Rob Picciolo (okay, he was on the '82 team, but he played less than Enrique Cruz and may have been the only guy not to homer that year), Jack Lazorko & Ray Searage, brothers Steve & Mark Kiefer, Sid Roberson, Brian Givens, Ron Rightnowar, Izzy Alcantara, Mike Birkbeck, Tim Pyznarski, and my all-time favorite Brewer name, Bryan Clutterbuck, then you're really starting to talk obscure.

While his opening sentence seems to indicate otherwise, the rest of jaybird's post seems to be defining obscure as not being highly visible in recent years rather than having had obscure Major League careers.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Braggs did a little acting in the late 90s. Mostly commercials, but he was in Arli$$. His wife's name is Cindy Herron (see pic), and they have 4 kids.

http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/2998375.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED8B6A7AC5AB37032B5A5397277B4DC33E

Semantics, schemantics: the point of the thread is the same.

I for one was pretty shocked to hear that news about Gus Polidor.

This is the best I could find about Bryan Clutterbuck, one of my old favorites: http://www.huronvalley.k12.mi.us/athletics/mhs/The%20MHS%20Hall%20of%20Fame/Bryan%20Clutterbuck.aspx

I worked with a woman who was dating Clutterbuck, this would have been circa 2002. I'd always joke with her about it.

I usually check the alumni thread when I wonder about the prospects. I know that the neighbor kid was taking pitching lessons from Mike Crudale. I believe he still takes shots at the independent leagues in the summer.

Teddy Higuera was coaching in Tabasco state the last I heard. The last time I saw him, two summers ago, he was shopping for slacks at that Target on Chase. Seriously. "'Stoy buscando un trato," he said, meaning he was looking for bargains. Where's Ernie Riles?

Edit: And yes, that means I, too, was shopping for slacks at that Target on Chase.

That said, at about the same time, I thought that (the other) Kevin Brown was going to be the next big thing. Missed on those two.

Thinking about Kevin Brown always makes me laugh. I was pretty young at the time, but my parents took me to spring training. We pull up to the hotel, and it has a big banner saying "Home of the Milwaukee Brewers!" We just happened to be staying at the same hotel as the Brewers, and it just so happened we had a room next to Gary Sheffield and Kevin Brown. One night we were in bed when their room started blaring music. We called the front desk 3 times to get them to turn it down... but that didn't work. We just decided to put up with it.

I was a big Sheffield fan at the time, and really wanted his autograph. I woke up early to catch him while he was leaving his room, but I missed him somehow. I wasn't heartbroken because I'd get him another day. Well... that day Sheffield was traded and we never saw him again!!

I'll make this as short as possible. Used to live in Ann Arbor and one night a buddy and I were out on a bender at a local sports bar. We start talkin to the waitress and are getting bolder and bolder after numerous shots of JD. Finally, I ask her about a husband or boyfriend or anything like that and she tells us that she's recently divorced and (knowing from an earlier conversation that both of us were from Sconny) that her ex was a former Brewer named Mike Ignasiak. Well, my buddy (not being nearly as dedicated of a fan as I) has absolutely no idea who this guy is. I, on the other hand, launch into this diatribe about his brief stint with the Crew in the early '90's and that he played at UM and what not.

So we get to talking with his ex and she says something like, "Shoot, I have his number right here...he manages a Dairy Queen in Saline right down the road." Well, that did it. We just had to call him...and I mean right at that moment. So around 1:00 am on a Thursday night, after having drank the bar dry of Jack and washed it down with several cold adult beverages, we decided now would be the best time to congratulate Mike on his bit of unexpected fame. I talked to him...woke him up...I think. He was very cordial, told a story or two (I don't remember many details) although I do recall he questioned several times what our intentions were for calling him at such a late hour. As soon as I told him that we got his number from his ex...he hung up. The best part of the story...he told us if we stopped by the DQ in the morning he'd hook us up. We went the next day, apologized for the late wake-up call and he gave us each a free dilly bar. Oh yeah, second best part...there were 3 or 4 of his baseball cards taped to the inside of the drive-up window.

Man, it's always fun reliving that memory.

Archived