Brewer Fanatic

Top 10 of Wisconsin

jaybird2001wi

I have been thinking of the Best/Worst Top 10 in Wisconsin for quite some time and here is what I think about in regards to the Top 10 in random categories:

Top 10 tourist attractions/events:

1) Wisconsin Dells - Native American history is prevalent and the Ducks give a nice tour during the summer

2) Packer Hall of Fame/Lambeau Field

3) Summerfest

4) Door County

5) Hunting in northern Wisconsin during the Thanksgiving season

6) Lake Geneva - in the summer when it is warm, good for boaters

7) Madison Capitol Building, Madison in general

8) Miller Park

9) Downtown Milwaukee

10) Camp Randall Stadium

Top 10 Greatest Athletes of All-Time:

1) Brett Favre

2) Hank Aaron

3) Robin Yount

4) Bart Starr

5) Oscar Robertson

6) Paul Molitor

7) Crazylegs Hirsch

8) Eddie Mathews

9) Warren Spahn

10) Junior Bridgeman

Top 10 Best Cities/Spots for people under 30:

1) Milwaukee - Eastside

2) Milwaukee - Brady and Farwell

3) Madison

4) Appleton

5) La Crosse

6) Green Bay

7) Sun Prairie (lot of my friends from college now live there for some reason)

8) Brookfield

9) Don't know

10) Don't know

Top 10 Worst Cities:

1) Racine

2) Beloit

3) Milwaukee (the bad parts)

4) Janesville

5) Kenosha

6) Waukesha (my boss says Waukesha stinks)

7) Whitewater (nothing to do on weekends and you'd lose your mind if you are over 25)

8) Waupun

9) Appleton (somehow weird crimes and unsolved homicides occur here)

10) Fitchburg (a coworker of mine says strange people live here)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

What's your criteria?

For worst cities, I can see Racine and Beloit, due to crime, but Janesville? Fitchburg, because a guy you know says "weird people live there"? You can find weird people in any city. I'd say by my standards, Madison is FULL of weird people.

My criteria on the cities is basically crime rate, things to do, number of sex offenders, cost of living and also the employment status of each city. Racine has the highest crime rate per capita in the state, the only thing to do is drink at bars, sex offenders are saturated in one area of the city and property taxes are high along with the worst jobless rate in the state.

What is everyone's top 10 worst sports moments in state history? Worst historical moments in state history?

My criteria on the cities is basically crime rate, things to do, number of sex offenders, cost of living and also the employment status of each city.

Ok, so I'll ask why you rank Janesville "4th worst". There's not much crime. I can count the number of murders that have happened here in my 33 years at probably less than 10. Job market here is pretty good due to GM and its many satellite companies that serve or supply it, and there's no shortage of things to do. If you're just going to throw cities at random in a list, you ought to have some reasons to back it up.

The top 10 tourist attractions should look more like this. It's more tourist "spots" than actual attractions but... (No particular order) 1. Dells 2. Kohler 3. Apostle Islands 4. Door County 5. Lake Geneva 6. Milwaukee 7. Madison 8. Green Bay 9. Minocqua 10. The general area in the south/southwest where Cave of the Mounds, that outdoor play theater is, House on the Rock, etc. Throw in the Fireside too.

The top 10 tourist attractions should look more like this. It's more tourist "spots" than actual attractions but... (No particular order) 1. Dells 2. Kohler 3. Apostle Islands 4. Door County 5. Lake Geneva 6. Milwaukee 7. Madison 8. Green Bay 9. Minocqua 10. The general area in the south/southwest where Cave of the Mounds, that outdoor play theater is, House on the Rock, etc. Throw in the Fireside too.

Ok, i am gonna need an explaination on this one. The only Fireside i know of, is the bar in Platteville. And i know that can't be right.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Nothing like a Mag Dog and a game of pool.

I forget which kind of mini pizzas they had there... those were good too.

Speaking of Oshkosh pizza, Doctor Benzie's Pizza is my favorite pizza on the planet. It's further north on main, due east of UW-O. I would seriously consider breaking vegan for a few slices of their taco pizza.

Ok, i am gonna need an explaination on this one. The only Fireside i know of, is the bar in Platteville. And i know that can't be right.

The Fireside is a dinner theater in Fort Atkinson. They do plays and musicals (of the Broadway variety) while you dine. It's pretty pricey, but they do a very good job with the food, and the entertainment. Pretty famous place for around here actually.

I would put Camp Randall, and the UW Football Gameday experience in general, ahead of Miller Park.

Worst sports moments?

In no particular order...

-4th and 26

-Sudden death of Reggie White

-MP Crane Accident (If that counts as sports...)

-1982 World Series game 7

-2001 Eastern Conference Finals Game 7

-UW Football 63-32 loss vs. Indiana

-The end of the "Bounce Pass" game vs. Illinois

-Super Bowl XXXII

-Whenever Brett Favre Retires

I am sure I am missing some pretty obvious ones...Does the Braves moving to Atlanta count?

Doctor Benzie's Pizza is my favorite pizza on the planet.
Ratch and Deb's makes a pretty good pie too. If they're still there. Down around Bowen St. der hey.

And I used to work at West End Pizza, which is on 20th by the airport now, who had a big following of people who thought it was the best in town.

IIRC, it used to be Ratch and Benzie's Pizza. Benzie split off and started his own place. A number of years ago he actually sold the business to his long time waitress/manager Mary, and now she runs it (last I knew).

When I lived out in rural Wisconsin between Oshkosh and Omro (if anyone has heard of a place called Zion, Wisconsin I congratulate you) we used to get West End carry-out for special treats. And occasionally Pizza Pit, but that place was pretty sketchy.

RoCo's right. The Fireside does a great job with the entertainment and the food is good too for how many people they serve every night. They do a ton of tourist buinsess with busses from throughout the Midwest. It's one of the better known attractions in the region. Depending on what age you are I suppose since it skews toward older people. You eat dinner, they've got several shops you can browse after, and then you see the show. It's an "in the round" type of set up. I've seen a bunch of shows there- Titanic, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Annie, Steel Magnolias, Annie Get Your Gun, Driving Miss Daisy, Man of La Mancha, The Music Man...The Christmas show they do every year is supposed to be good too although I've never seen it. Anyway if you want something different than a night out at the bar or whatever it's a nice alternative. And the prices aren't too bad considering what you get what.

http://www.firesidetheatre.com/

Aren't Milwaukee East side and Milwaukee Brady and Farwell the same thing?

i was thinking the same thing. and they arent the overly nicest neighborhoods in milwaukee either.

the east side drops off rather quickly once you cross humboldt

1. Dells 2. Kohler 3. Apostle Islands 4. Door County 5. Lake Geneva 6. Milwaukee 7. Madison 8. Green Bay 9. Minocqua 10.

How does Kohler make this list? Believe it or not Lambeau Field crushes the amount of people that stay at the Kohler resorts -- and it's not close.

Ok, so I'll ask why you rank Janesville "4th worst". There's not much crime. I can count the number of murders that have happened here in my 33 years at probably less than 10. Job market here is pretty good due to GM and its many satellite companies that serve or supply it, and there's no shortage of things to do.

Wait, we're talking about Janesville here?!?

Archived