Affiliate Renewals: Ballpark Digest Reports -- West Virginia

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Link while active, text follows:

www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?fu...ryid=13681

Power will be back but maybe not with Brewers

Story by Nicole Ward

Fans who came out for the Power's last game of the season thought Mother Nature could have been a bit more gracious.

"Oh yeah. I wanted to see them off tonight. They've given us a great season this year," said Charles Nichols, in the pouring rain outside Power Alley Grill.

Nichols and his wife Karen came to 15 games this summer.

Said Karen, "My daughter came with us when she was in from Houston and she was very impressed with the park -- she compared it to Minute Maid Park -- so that's a big compliment."

Appalachian Power Park is becoming a crowd pleaser -- due in no small part to the major league team the Power is affiliated with, said General Manager Andy Milovich.

"We've been happy with the Brewers -- we've had a great two years."

But now it's time to look at whether to re-sign with each other -- or look for new affiliates.

"You can re-up with the team you're currently with at any point during the season and then in September -- the first two weeks you can explore other teams -- the last two weeks you can sign contracts," explained Milovich.

Milovich would not say whether the Power is looking to sign with other teams or not. But he does say they own the rights to a South Atlantic league franchise. So you can expect to see more baseball here for at least 18 more seasons.

"There's no worries that the West Virginia Power won't be here."

Good news for people like the Nichols.

Brevard County Press Release:

Manatees Sign for Four Years with the Brew Crew

The Milwaukee Brewers renew their Player Development Contract with the Brevard County Manatees until 2010

Dr. Tom Winters, owner of the Brevard County Manatees signed a four-year Player Development Contract with the Milwaukee Brewers on Friday. The new PDC ensures that the Manatees will be a Brewer's affiliate until 2010. This exciting agreement ensures fans will have the opportunity to see some of Milwaukee's best prospects play on the field at Space Coast Stadium for years to come.

The four-year PDC is one of only a few in Minor League Baseball. The minimum, two-year contract is what most Major League clubs sign with their farm teams. The four-year contract demonstrates that an affiliate is happy with the facilities, staff and treatment of their minor league players.

Winters said, "We have really enjoyed watching our players develop in one of the best farm systems in baseball. Central Florida Baseball Group appreciates very much the good faith commitment of the Brewers to extend a long term working relationship to the Manatees. We are proud to be part of the Brewers family."

The Brevard County Manatees signed as the Brewers Affiliate in 2004 after the Washington Nationals moved their team to Potomac. In the last two seasons, Major Leaguers such as Ty Taubenheim, now with the Blue Jays; top prospects, such as Yovani Gallardo, a Futures Game All-Star; and First Round Draft Picks, such as Ryan Braun and Mark Rogers have played in a Manatees uniform. Fans will now have the opportunity to see many more of the Brewers best farm hands display their skills on the field for years to come.

General Manager Buck Rogers said about the signing, "The Brewers are a first class organization to work for and I am thrilled that we have a guaranteed four years as their affiliate."

www.floridatoday.com/apps...061/SPORTS

Manatees, Brewers agree on four-year deal

FSL season ends for Brevard today

Scott Brown, Florida Today

Roughly 3,500 tosses into the Brevard County Manatees' attempt Saturday to reclaim the world record for most pregame first pitches thrown, general manager Buck Rogers reflected on the team's first season under private ownership.

Rogers talked excitedly about what is ahead for the Class A minor-league team based in Viera.

First and foremost, Rogers said, the Manatees, who play their final game of the season this afternoon against the visiting Daytona Cubs, aren't going anywhere.

That appears to be true on several fronts.

The Manatees recently signed a four-year professional development contract with the Milwaukee Brewers, their parent club. The significance of this is that contracts between major-league organizations and minor-league teams generally run two years.

The new agreement reflects a strong relationship between the Brewers and Manatees, and cooperation between the Manatees and Washington Nationals also appears to be good.

The Nationals have new ownership, and representatives of that group have met with the Manatees, who now are owned by a group headed by Tom Winters, an Orlando-area physician.

The two sides have had positive discussions about continuing what is certainly a unique situation: the Nationals training here in the spring but having their high Class A team based somewhere else, while another organization's high-A squad plays at Space Coast Stadium.

"We're going to be at Space Coast Stadium for years into the future," Rogers said.

That is a good thing for all of Brevard County, since minor- league baseball offers family-friendly entertainment and a chance to see future big-leaguers.

Former Manatees who have made it to the majors include Edgar Renteria, Scott Podsednik, Kevin Millar, Ryan Dempster, Josh Beckett and Chad Cordero.

Yovani Gallardo, a pitcher who opened the season with Brevard County, is sure to join that list sometime soon.

Gallardo helped the Manatees win 10 of their first 11 games this season.

That torrid start worked against Brevard County to some degree, as a bunch of key players, including Gallardo, earned early promotions.

By the end of July, only one starting pitcher (Josh Wahpepah) who opened the season with the Manatees still was with the team.

Brevard County did make a run at the Florida State League East Division title in the first half of the season. But the Manatees' late playoff push in the second half was blunted by bad weather.

The Manatees, who took a five-game winning streak into Saturday's doubleheader, had four home games canceled this past week because of rain.

"Everything was rolling until Mother Nature gave us a swift kick," Rogers said.

Still, Rogers called the season a success.

"We hate to see it end," he said.

www.dailymail.com/news/Sp...006090610/

Just where does the Power go from here?

Jack Bogaczyk

Charleston Daily Mail Sports Editor

It was a record year at Appalachian Power Park. In 20 years of low Class A baseball in Charleston, no home team hit like the West Virginia Power.

Presumably, if the ticket count means anything, the second year of Baby Brewers playing Power ball was a hit, too. A home attendance record of 239,721 was achieved, and the figure would have pressed 270,000 without six rainouts.

Outfielders Lorenzo Cain and Darren Ford proved to be more than entertaining at the top of the batting order. They used their bat and feet to club-record levels in hits and steals. Right-hander Will Inman bounced back from an early season arm injury and has a chance to lead all of full-season minor league ball in ERA.

For only the third time in a decade, Charleston baseball fans had a team that posted a winning record in both South Atlantic League half-seasons -- a pair of second-place finishes. The Power's .277 team batting average was a franchise record, and by 13 points.

Sounds great ... but the Power-Brewer two-year affiliation agreement has ended. As fans prepare to rest their toast-catching skills, the lack of a renewal with Milwaukee is as evident as a scorcher to the scoreboard gap.

Last Saturday, the Brewers announced they had re-upped with their Class AA, high A and short-season A affiliates in Huntsville, Brevard County (Fla.) and Helena, respectively. They had done Triple-A Nashville (through 2010) in July.

Conspicuous by its absence was West Virginia, which, with good crowds in a nice facility, is a place teams should want their prospects to play.

Make no mistake, Milwaukee wants to stay here.

The question is whether the Power will turn elsewhere for a parent club.

Under threats of stiff fines from the National Association (the minors' governing body), minor league clubs cannot discuss negotiations on Player Development Contracts (PDC).

Power General Manager Andy Milovich won't even say if the team has filed for a potential PDC change, which must be done by Sept. 11 -- or the renewal is automatic.

"I would prefer not to negotiate in the newspaper," Reid Nichols, Milwaukee's assistant GM and director of player development, said Tuesday. "All I can tell you, really, is that we are in the process of talking with the ownership there."

While conceding that the Brewers don't deliver much buzz in the market, the Power's other PDC options aren't great. The regional clubs the Power may want to link with aren't available. Cincinnati isn't leaving Dayton as a low Class A site. Cleveland will stay with neighboring Lake County.

Pittsburgh, thought not so long ago to be a possible target, will stay in the SAL in Hickory, although it hasn't been announced yet. Clubs that may be available are Kansas City, Texas, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Colorado, Los Angeles, Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia, the Mets and White Sox.

It's doubtful the Phillies would bolt neighboring Lakewood, or the Orioles would fly from nearby Delmarva. The Nationals do want out of Savannah, and the Mets are said to be hoping to punt Hagerstown. The Chisox may be the defending World Series champs, but they have one of the worst records in the minors in 2006.

Alan Levin is the managing partner in the West Virginia Baseball LLC ownership.

Ultimately, it's his call on the affiliation, and it seems he's holding out for something from someone.

If Charleston can't land the Reds, Indians or Pirates, it makes sense to bring back the Brewers -- unless there is some overriding reason or Milwaukee didn't deliver on a private promise.

You could end up with a club that's a lot worse.

Milwaukee has had good players and good people here. After a rough first half to 2005, the Power has played 14 games over .500.

As players like Yovani Gallardo, Ryan Braun and Inman make their way to Milwaukee in the near future, the connection that doesn't exist now will be formed.

The Brewers were under .500 at the two clubs below the Power in the organization, but Nichols indicated Tuesday that more than a few ?06 Power players would repeat the low Class A step to begin next April.

I'd be surprised if the Power ditches the Brewers. Considering some of the alternatives ... you could be working with Reid Nichols, or wooden nickels.

I'm a little disappointed with the renewal of the Manatees mainly because they do not have much of a fan presence here at BF.net. Has anyone explored how much the cost is to get a small BF.net ad in our affilaites programs? Has that been done before? I'd be willing to chip in. It helps the atmosphere when we have first-hand views.

I also agree with another poster. I'll actually have to plunk down some coin to get Manatees gear. I was holding off because I thought they would be gone after 2 years. What to do with my fitted Power ball cap if they move...

I'll take the Power cap, but I'd prefer they stay and you keep it! I tell you what, my family and I served as a host family for WV this year, and really got to know several of the guys...these guys here were fantastic...great ballplayers, and great people! Cain, Ford, Inman, Salome, Gamel, Bell, Brantley.....I can't wait to watch these guys in the bigs some day....It will be a dream outfield with those three guys, and Salome is one of the most fan friendly players I have ever met.....then there's Inman, Derek Miller, Dave Welch, Steve Garrison, Joe Thatcher, and I saw Kevin Robert hit 97 on the gun one day....they may not be Brewers....yet! but they sure were fun to watch!! Thanks guys!

The Brewers were under .500 at the two clubs below the Power in the organization, but Nichols indicated Tuesday that more than a few ?06 Power players would repeat the low Class A step to begin next April.

An interesting comment from Nichols. I suppose Salome could head back there given his ankle situation, but his bat sure could be bumped up. Maybe pogo (I think it was pogo) is right and Brantley spends another year in low-A so Gillespie can join Cain & Ford in BC. Some of the young pitchers? I don't know, most of the hitters at that level certainly hit and deserve a bump up.

Since I mentioned pogo, sorry, as the story above notes, the Pirates are expected to re-up with Hickory.

Has anyone explored how much the cost is to get a small BF.net ad in our affilaites programs? Has that been done before? I'd be willing to chip in. It helps the atmosphere when we have first-hand views.

That's actually a really good idea. I think we talked about it a little bit with the Snappers a while back, but we didn't have the resources to make it happen. We also didn't have the number of users back then either, so I'm sure one of our annual pledge drives could make a meager marketing budget effective.

wvpowerblkwel, thanks for your comments this season. Ever since the Power started their affiliation with the Brewers I've been wanting to get out to see the team. It seems we always have a few people make the trek to Nashville or even Huntsville, but BC and WV don't get many looks, other than from pogo who gets to see them in Greensboro a few times a year. The first-hand observations are definitely appreciated and we love having locals hang out around these parts! Put in a good word for the Brewers.

yea that was me on Brantley...i think we'll see some of the older guys who no longer have a position repeat...like Yoho, maybe even Holmberg...ryan marion, rafael lluberes...those guys could repeat..

angel's gotta move up, unless the brewers really think a brad wilcutt nestor corredor platoon is what brevard needs

edit: of course, I'm starting to think Cole Gillespie is the one who jumps to AA

Considering the home media coverage is very good in each current outpost other than Brevard County, we'll make an effort to contact the active Manatee Booster Group next spring and hope to identify knowledgable fans who wouldn't mind posting on a regular basis.

It will be helpful if Brevard is successful in getting online audio -- while it's often tough to listen regularly to complete broadcasts, having archived interviews and a broadcaster contact is always helpful and informative.

From Sept. 12-15, the clubs that are looking for new partners will get a list of who's available. Then from Sept. 16-30, those teams can talk to each other and sign new deals. If any teams are still left standing at the end of the process, MLB and MiLB will pair them up, but this rarely happens.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote from the Charleston Daily News 0n 7/24:

In case you're wondering, the PDC's in low Class A that end in 2006 are with the Royals, Rangers, Athletics, Blue Jays, Diamondbacks, Devil Rays, Rockies, Dodgers, Orioles, Mets, White Sox, Pirates, Indians (fuggedabout it), Phillies, Nationals and Brewers.

Here's an updated list -- if anyone is aware of an official renewal or new affiliation in place for any of the others listed below (provide link if so, please), let us know. There will be a lot of activity in the next ten days on all minor league levels, with only low-A directly affecting the Brewers.

South Atlantic League:

Hagerstown, Maryland -- was Mets, (now Nationals)

Asheville, North Carolina -- was Rockies (Colorado renews)

Columbus, Georgia -- was Dodgers

Delmarva (Salisbury, Maryland) -- was Orioles (Baltimore renews)

Kannapolis, North Carolina -- was White Sox (Chicago renews)

Hickory, North Carolina -- was Pirates (Pittsburgh renews)

Lakewood, New Jersey -- was Phillies (Philadelphia renews)

Savannah, Georgia -- was Nationals

Charleston, West Virginia -- was Brewers

Midwest League:

Burlington, Iowa -- was Royals (Kansas City renews)

Clinton, Iowa -- was Rangers

Kane County (Geneva, Illinois) -- was Athletics (Oakland renews)

Lansing, Michigan -- was Blue Jays (Toronto renews)

South Bend, Indiana -- was Diamondbacks (Arizona renews)

Great Lakes (Midland, Michigan) -- was Devil Rays

Lake County (Eastlake, Ohio) -- was Indians (Cleveland renews)

As another poster pointed out, with the return to the Midwest League a possibility, Clinton, Iowa seems to be a good target.

Quad City (Iowa) Times:

When minor league baseball?s affiliate shuffle begins later this week, the Clinton LumberKings expect to hear from some major league teams looking for a new Midwest League home.

?We?re the ugly duckling that has blossomed into the pretty girl,? LumberKings general manager Ted Tornow said.

A multimillion dollar renovation of Clinton?s Alliant Energy Field included an entirely new playing surface and a new clubhouse-batting tunnel complex which included plenty of design input from the Texas Rangers, who have been the Lumber Kings? parent club since 2003.

?In the past, all we had to offer anybody was the promise of a renovation,?? Tornow said. ?Now, our organization believes it doesn?t have to take a backseat to anybody.?

in order:

Hickory

Kannapolis

Columbus

delmarva

lakecounty

savannah

if the team moves to any of those, i'll get to see them a minimum of 3 times a year...if they move to hickory or kannapolis, it might be 10...same for columbus georgia...though i don't wish the crappiest fans in minor league baseball on them

little league? yes. minor league? heck no.

Lansing, Kane County and Burlington all re-signed with their respective teams. Here's the most updated list I have found online as far as affiliates go. I'd be sky high if the Crew would move back to the MWL so I could see Jeffress, Brewer & Gillespie in the very near future.

www.ballparkdigest.com/af..._2006.html

Here's the latest, as it seems that Baltimore has renewed with Delmarva, as I just updated in the post a few above this:

The Texas Rangers, Los Angeles Dodgers, Milwaukee Brewers, New York Mets and Tampa Bay Devil Rays are looking for homes for their Class A affiliates.

Here are the remaining homes, we believe:

South Atlantic League:

Columbus, Georgia

Savannah, Georgia

Charleston, West Virginia

Midwest League:

Clinton, Iowa

Great Lakes (Midland, Michigan)

L.A. and the Mets are the more glamorous choices for the affiliates to be sure. Although the Brewers wanted out of the colder early-season climate in the Midwest League two years ago, we posted earlier about Clinton's big stadium upgrade, and there's a wonderful spanking new facility waiting for the newly-located site in Central Michigan. So despite the weather concerns, either Midwest League site seems to have its benefits, not the least of which would be road trips to Beloit and Appleton.

www.mlive.com/business/sa...amp;coll=9

Region hits financial home run with Loons

PAUL WYCHE

THE SAGINAW NEWS

A minor league baseball team will bring "millions of dollars" of economic impact to mid-Michigan.

Nothing loony about that.

More than 120 members of the Tri-County Economics Club listened Monday as Great Lakes Loons General Manager Paul Barbeau highlighted the club's financial clout.

Most notably, a $27 million stadium, the hiring of 16 workers, 125 seasonal employees, donations to charities and other team spending.

"We definitely consider ourselves a regional team," Barbeau said, "and there will be a regional economic impact."

Goods and services the team buys will include hotels, transportation, maintenance, related supplies and equipment, printing and design work.

The first home game is Friday, April 13.

Besides the financial influx, Barbeau said there are quality of life contributions from the team that a person can't measure in dollars and cents.

"Just providing another attraction, another option for people," he said.

"When I worked in Spokane, (Wash.), I had a lady thank me because she said she never had to worry about her son when he was at the ballpark."

Economics Club President Ann Fillmore, president of Midland-based Junior Achievement of Central Michigan, said residents have already bought into the team's concept.

"Especially with the excitement that the Detroit Tigers are generating," she said .

The Tigers have clinched a spot in the playoffs after a 19-year drought.

"It has people thinking about baseball," Fillmore said.

Fillmore said Loons officials were wise to "think regional."

Barbeau said they had no choice.

"Midland is not big enough to support this team," he said.

"If we were going to do it, we had to draw on the surrounding areas."

Meanwhile, Barbeau said the team will announce its Major League Baseball affiliation this week.

abclocal.go.com/wjrt/stor...id=4586520

Midland waits for major league affiliate

Could the Loons be affiliated with the Dodgers?

By Terry Camp

MIDLAND (WJRT) - The next big question to be answered in the Midland minor league baseball story: which major league team will be affiliated with the Great Lakes Loons?

The Battle Creek team was affiliated with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, but that agreement has expired.

Five major league teams are still looking for a minor league affiliation at that level, and one of those is the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The Dodgers are one of the most respected and revered franchises in all of sports. The organization is not renewing it's affiliate agreement with a minor league team in Georgia, and may have its eye on the new franchise in Midland.

Former major league manager Terry Collins is a Midland native and currently happens to be in charge of player development for a baseball organization's minor league system. That organization is the Los Angeles Dodgers. He has a big say on where it's Low A minor league affiliate agreement will go, and at the top of his list is Midland.

"Number one I know the town and I know what kind of sports town that is," he said. "The entire tri-cities Flint area is huge. Sports are huge in the state of Michigan."

Paul Barbeau, General Manager of the Great Lakes Loons says discussions continue with several major league teams, and that no deal has been reached. But the Dodgers' Collins has his heart set on Mid-Michigan.

"I'm hoping it works out," he said.

Meanwhile, back to Savannah, former home of the Nationals, in the Sally League:

SAVANNAH, Ga. - Historic Grayson Stadium will undergo $5 million worth of improvements starting this off-season thanks to a vote Tuesday to approve a Special Purpose Local Option Sales Tax (SPLOST). Chatham County residents passed the SPLOST by a 3-2 margin which will maintain the current sales tax 1 percent higher than the regular rate through 2012.

The SPLOST is expected to raise approximately $440 million for countywide projects with $5 million allocated to the long overdue renovation of city-owned Historic Grayson Stadium. The renovation plan originally called for $10 million of improvements, but will be adjusted to the new budget. The Sand Gnats plan to announce specific renovations in the weeks to come.

The plans being discussed include a new playing field, a grass berm in left field, an upgraded scoreboard, renovated dugouts, additional concessions areas, renovated clubhouses and the addition of suites and improved party decks. The team hopes to accomplish as many of these objectives as possible with the $5 million.

The stadium was built in 1926 and was renamed William L. Grayson Stadium after undergoing major renovations in 1941 to repair major hurricane damage. The 1941 construction date is the second oldest in the South Atlantic League.

In 2006 the Sand Gnats drew 84, 642 fans. That number represents an increase of 45 percent from 2004 but still ranks 15th in the 16 team South Atlantic League.

That just leaves Columbus, Georgia, which seems to have major attendance issues that are explained in this link, with an otherwise suitable ballpark:

www.ballparkreviews.com/c...lumbga.htm

So basically, everything needs to be known by September 30th, and I guess my point here is there really isn't an outright awful choice remaining, although others (and the Brewers) may disagree.

Archived