Brewer Fanatic

Would you offer Chris Capuano, Derrick Turnbow, TGJ and Caludio Vargas for Bedard

aracko

Would you offer Chris Capuano, Derrick Turnbow, TGJ, and Caludio Vargas for ONE year of Eric Bedard?

Bedard is a lefty strikeout guy and would fit nicely at the top of the rotation.

Having a rotation of

Sheets

Bedard

Suppan

Yovanni

Villanueva

with Dave Bush in some sort of swing role, the Brewers staff would be lights out. Should we lose Ben Sheets for a few weeks I think we would still be in good shape. This would take alot of pressure off of the young guys in the rotation. Moving Turnbow makes some room for Parra to be in a consistant role which will help his progression quite a bit I think.

When Sheets is healthy our BP would be similar to this:

Dave Bush

Tim Dillard

Manny Parra

Brian Shouse

David Riske

Eric Gagne

and one of the following

----------------------------

Mota

Mclung

Torres

Why would Baltimore make this deal? Well they are a team with alot of holes. They would get 2 guys for their rotation who have very manageable salarys. They get a closer which is a major need for their team, and Turnbow can be a rockstar in the right situation. TGJ gives them someone in center with Name Cred as well as great defense. Maybe they would be interested in the Hurricane also.

I belieev that offering 4 affordable players who all have nice potential for one guy who is going to leave at the end of the year, woudl get considered by Macphail . Then again I could be guilty of overvalue.

Capuano, Bush, Gamel, Escobar, Jeffress, and one other prospect. Since we will be reloading our farm system this coming June (Although at lower levels) I would be fine with trading away some prospects. Since in all likelihood we wont need a new bumper crop of prospects to come to Milwaukee for atleast 2-4 years

Its not like Bedard is the pinnacle of healthiness. He has never thrown 200 innings in a year, and in only one year did he make more than 30 starts. I would say there would be some risk, 2007 may have certianly been a brekout year for sure, but he could back to his old 4 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, .250 BAA he had his previous 3 years. That is still pretty good but not dominant good. That being said I would still take him in a heartbeat. He will be turning 29 this year so he still has a lot of good years ahead of him. I would never give up Gallardo for him but I would think about Parra or Villenueva

I would love to have Bedard but the proposal to strart the thread is way out there. Parra, Villy, and a young OFer would be what the O's are looking for. That too me is too much since you would have to sign Bedard to an extension down the road before you would loose any of the players you are giving up.

Again it's not about what we want to ship to them - (our scraps). The supposed trade to Seattle was netting them young players. There in a rebuilding mode most likely now and from what I've heard want the young players. They have no reason to want a guy like Cappy (unless he was cheap - and he'd be a fill in until younger players arrive), Vargas highly doubt it (same with cappy, if he's cheap sure), Turnbow maybe but I don't think their that high on him, and TGJ is probably the only guy on that list they'd want. Now I said for both Vargas and Cappy that if he was cheap maybe as an add on to the deal they would take it so they can some inning eaters until the younger players come. But with that said a deal should not be centered around Vargas and Cappy, that does nothing for them. While it would be nice to get Bedard, Mark Antansio specifically told me at the Winter Warm up (which I posted), is that they were asking for Corey Hart. Its not to say we could maybe keep pressing and go around Corey Hart, including maybe LaPorta, Irribaren.. something around that, I just dont think either are going to happen.

The Orioles remind me of the Brewers when we traded Richie Sexson for those 6 players that started to get us over the hump. At this point in time they just need bodies.

Chris Capuano

Dave Bush

Tony Gwynn Jr

Derrick Turnbow

Hernan Irrabarren

Cole Gillespie

Chris Capuano and Dave Bush would fit into there rotation. Derrick Turnbow is a major improvement over Greg Aquino which solves there closer problem until Baez and Ray return. TGJ could play every day in center for them and Hernan is there incase they trade Brian Roberts. Cole Gillespie I threw in there because hes a good looking prospect that is blocked by Braun and LaPorta.

We in return get a dominant front end of the rotation guy that gives us a nasty 1-2-3 even better than the Mets imo. Adding Bedard makes us a World Series contender instantly

Sheets, Bedard, Gallardo, Suppan, Villanueva

Gagne, Riske, Torres, Mota, Shouse, Parra and then one of Mclung or Stetter (Lefty or another Turnbow)

Weeks, Hardy, Fielder, Braun, Hart, Cameron, Hall, Kendall

Gross, Dillon, Counsell, Kapler, Munson

We still would have alot of depth with guys in AAA ready to come up. If I'm Doug Melvin I'm throwing that offer infront of them hoping that they bite on it.

@WiscoSportsNut

While it's only a side note in the original post, I don't get how you think Tim Dillard AND Manny Parra will make the team (especially Dillard) over the guaranteed contracts of Mota and especially Torres, who signed with the Crew as a free agent.

Look, it would be great to get Bedard, but it simply isn't going to happen, particularly with the motley crew of players proposed to ship to Baltimore. I am dumb founded by the A's with Haren, and now potentially the O's with Bedard. I don't understand how it is in the best interests of the team to trade away good young pitching that you invested in.

japanfires wrote:

I don't understand how it is in the best interests of the team to trade away good young pitching that you invested in.

Depends on when you next plan to be competitive. If we didn't plan on being competitive during Sheets' time with us it would have been a good idea to trade him during the 2004 offseason.(I know, injuries since) Much like trading Sexon. It doesn't pay to keep a player who will give you a marginally better record unless you are thinking he will give you the extra couple wins that get you into the playoffs. We planned to be good either last year or this coming year so it paid to keep Sheets. He isn't young any longer like the guys you talked about, but a few years back he was.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

The fact that Angelos seems to be tanking a trade because it's all prospects is something of a reason to believe that the Brewers could figure something out. Personally I try to hold onto Parra for a variety of reasons one being that he gives you 6th starter insurance that you can option up and down as needed for this year. I think 2 of the Bush, Vargas, Cappy trio and 2 good prospects is potentially intriguing given the Angelos factor.

I'd give up Villanueva, Bush or Capuano, TGJ, and 1 of: (escobar, gillespie, ford, or other prospect not named LaPorta, Parra, or Gamel).

I don't know if the Orioles would do that, but that rotation would be sick:

Sheets

Bedard

Gallardo

Bush or Capuano (the one they didn't want)

Parra

Archived