Brewer Fanatic

Whats the best fish to eat?

InsomniacInkRoss

The surprising amount of people who picked fish in the food thread (2 I think) leads me to ask, what kinds are good? I honestly have only had 6 or 7 varieties at the most

Cod

Walleye

Tuna Steak (mmmmmm)

Can Tuna

Perch

Yellow Fish? (thats what the menu said, it was at Mrs. Macs kitchen in Key Largo, MMMM MMM)

if I had anymore they weren't memorable

Mahi Mahi is pretty tasty. For fans of tuna or salmon I'd suggest you give it a try.

I had Mahi Mahi a few years ago at Emerald Lagasse's resturant Emrils's in the MGM Las Vegas. It was amazing I have had every time it is on the menu since and have even cooked it a few times myself. Very tasty fish

The best fish to eat is anything I can catch, which means I don't get to eat fish very much http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif. Bluegill, perch and walleye are all great, but I prefer bluegill. This thread reminded me that I have some in my freezer.

If you ever go to San Diego, stop by Ocean Beach off of the 8 and hit a bar/grill called South Beach. They have the absolute best Mahi Mahi tacos I've ever had. They also have shark tacos, dolphin tacos, calamari tacos, and more; I found none to be nearly as good as the Mahi Mahi. They also have a huge selection of micro brews on tap, not to mention a clear view of the Pacific from the bar.

So I guess to answer this thread, I like Mahi Mahi.

In no particular order:

Perch

Walleye

Bluegill

Northern Pike(gotta watch out for the "Y" bones)

Nowadays I fish solely for Muskies(at least when the season is open). Most people are blown away that I'll spend countless hours fishing for something that doesn't come home for the frying pan...most of my buddies don't understand they just aren't that good to eat and there are too few of them in any given body of water to keep. I'll stock the freezer by ice fishing in the winters or else rely on buddies who fish for pike/walleye/perch/gills during the spring/summer/fall months. Man, now I really have a craving for a fish-fry. I grew accustomed to having Friday fish-frys back in Wisco. I've searched long and hard for a good fish fry here in Colorado and can't seem to find anything close to what I could get back home.

The key is freshness. The best fish is usally one that was swimming 5 minutes before. Here in Seattle, the State of Alaska has a sweet marketing gimmick with something called "Copper River Salmon" that they charge through the schnoz for. It's really no "better" than any other alaskan salmon, It's just not flash frozen and instead simply kept cold and air freighted into town. When I lived in Minnesota, I had a piece of trout once that was acceptable, other than that, Walleye had the texture of fish with none of the flavor! A good expensive piece of Shashimi Grade tuna raw and cold is always a delight, I just don't know where you would get it if you didn't live off an ocean coast.

http://www.fishex.com/fish-market/salmon/copper-river-wild-salmon.html

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2005/may4/gifs/tuna_feeds.jpg

Honestly, the first thing I thought of was the Yum Yum Fish, the most delicious fish in the sea (per Marge Simpson's memories of Barnacle Bay). But I see this is a serious fish discussion, so I will bow out. I do like salmon, though.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

There are many different fish that taste really good depending on how it is prepared. I love Walleye, Perch, and bluegill, but the best fish I ever had was Grouper in Florida. It was coated with corn flakes dipped in butter. It was fantastic. I love a good fish fry and right now the best tasting fish from a restaurant is at Hawg City Grill on HWY 100 and Beloit in Greeenfield.

I'm still trying to get into fish, as its the one meat I probably like the least.

I do not eat fish. Actually, I don't eat anything that comes from the water.

I've always wanted to like fish/seafood and I've tried a few different things, but in the end, I just don't like it.

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

I agree with EDR. If you can't get it fresh, it's not worth it -- I've noticed that fresh fish never tastes "fishy."

Best piece of fish I had was a Blue Marlin steak in the Abacos, Bahamas. I was told that the Blue Marlin are protected in the Bahamas, However, there was a fishing contest the week I was there. After the fish was caught and brought back in and weighed, it ended up at the local bar & grill (the only one on our little island). I've never had anything that good since.

Throw me in to the bluegill group. To me, there is nothing better than a plate full of fried bluegill at a dive bar in a small town. Yes, your veins harden as you are walking out the door, but they taste great! If I am eating a "healthy-ish" meal, I will cover a salmon fillet with lemon pepper, throw it on the grill and drip a small amount of butter on it when at the table. Good eats...
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Brown trout. There's nothing more cathartic than pulling one out of the stream, wrapping it in tinfoil and frying it up over an open campfire, all in 10 minutes. I'm really bummed since the Whitewater River valley flooded and completely washed out this past summer. I'm not sure what to expect going back in there.

Tuna would be a close second but I like any lake fish (bass, walleye, panfish).

somebody else (logan?) already mentioned it, but shark is fabulous. Very tasty.

Otherwise, my smart remark would be "beer-battered."

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Archived