Brewer Fanatic

Johan Santana to NYM, Carlos Gomez, Phil Humber, Deolis Guerra and Kevin Mulvey to MIN [Merged: Mets sign Johan (7 yr, $150M); see reply #83]

ryne100

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
would have really liked to see him stay in the AL. should make the NL East a lot more competitive though, although I still like the Phillies balance.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

At first blush, it seems like the Twins could have gotten a lot more. None of those four have had much big league experience (Gomez had ~140 PA, Humber has 9 IP). I mean, they're all good prospects and the Twins might have gotten the CF they were looking for. Just... not what I would have pictured them getting.

At least the Brewers don't have to see him anymore than they would have had he remained in MN.

Good point, except that they may now have to face him in the playoffs. This move should make the Mets the preseason favorite to win the NL

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I still don't like that rotation if Martinez gets hurt again which he very well might. It obviously is better than last year but I still don't think they are a lock for the division or anything.

I don't know what the Twins were thinking unless the Red Sox/Yankees pulled their offers.

I agree that I would have rather had Hughes if I were the Twins, or even one out of Jacoby Ellsbury, Jon Lester or Clay Buccholz for that matter, but that's still quite a bit of young talent heading to Minnesota.

And the Mets of course got a bonafide staff ace while showing up the Yankees and Red Sox. However, they've dealt a lot of young talent the past couple of years.

Gotta say wow NY is stealing Santana from MN with that Package as i would of thought Gomez, Humber, Pelfrey/Heiliman and one of the other two prospects... Maybe the Yankees now will step up hoping that the Mets and Santana cant agree on a long term contract...

Somehow the Mets didn't have to part with their top prospect (F. Martinez) or someone with MLB experience, and still landed the best pitcher in baseball.

The package the A's got for Haren is far better than this.

For a Brewers fan's perspective, the package the Twins got would be comparable to this:

Tony Gwynn Jr. (Gomez)

Jeremy Jeffress (Guerra)

Mark Rogers (Humber)

Zach Jackson (Mulvey)

If I were the Brew Crew, I'd do this in a heartbeat. Of couse, that's a pipe dream b/c the Brewers could never offer Santana a contract he's looking for.

It's scary to think that Santana will be on an NL contender for at least the next six years.

Not good news for Brewer fans, IMO.

Humber is about the only name I've heard of, and judging by everyone else's reaction, the Twins didn't get all they could in this trade. They may be good in 5 years, since they're blowing up the team and rebuilding. If I'm DM, I'm seeing what I can get for Joe Mauer.

Is the Humber - Rogers comparison a fair one? I see Humber's had his injury WOAHs, too, but Rogers hasn't had nearly the amount of production. I do love the equating to Brewers prospects in deals, though - it really helps lend an understanding to value(s) involved.

I'm startled that NYM went for this deal. Is not facing him 2-3 times a year worth not getting the biggest return? Or perhaps the deals that were rumored were just inaccurate (wouldn't surprise me, esp. given the Bos. & NY media markets).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

That is selling things a bit short, looking at minorleagueball.com. Gomez is still considered a B to B+ prospect where Gwynn is more of a C to C+. Mulvey is also considered a B prospect and Guerra a B+. It would be more like Gamel, Parra, Jeffers and we don't have another P that fits though Rogers would be it if he were healthy probably.

Archived