Brewer Fanatic

After one year, what do you think of the TV broadcasts?

RobDeer 45
As long as they keep their promise to show more games in HD, I don't care much who the announcers are. If all else fails, just turn the radio on.

If getting most games on HD meant Stuart Scott and Chris Berman had to call games, i wouldn't care. The analog feed on FSN is terrible, it's such a pleasure when they are in HD instead.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Baldkin - That call just brought a big smile to my face "get on your horse johnny!" Classic. Then he does a great job of letting the game and the crowd tell the rest of the story. As for HD, I thought I read that all home games will be in HD this year.

• 2 months later...
I think Bill brushed up on his golf references over the winter. He might have also watched Caddyshack. I like the fact that Brian is pronouncing Villanueva's name correctly. Overall I think that Brian and Bill are even better than last year. I appreciate them even more after watching a spring training game with the Rockies. Their guys wold drive me nuts. Their analyst had a horribly annoying laugh.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

BA was great today. He had some laugh out loud funny comments while panning the crowd. I'm really starting to like him.

I also got my first taste of Trenni today and aside from her good looks, she seems confident and knowledgable about the Brewers. The quick interview with Villanueva after he got pulled was great.

BA seems a lot more confident and smooth this year. He works with Bill well and they genuinely seem to have a good chemistry together. I really don't notice Daron being gone anymore, as to where last year I used to notice a lot.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Last year I really missed Sutton, just the way he called the game like you were watching it with another fan. I couldn't stand Brian, it seemed to me early last year that he thought he was still calling a golf game, he rarely showed any enthusiasm.

Since then though, Brian has really grown on me. He's professional but doesn't temper his enthusiasm during a big moment anymore, which I love to see.

I have to say I like everyone that works the games. From Brian and Bill in the both to Craig and Davey on the pre and post game and this new girl Trenni is quite cute and is good so far at what she does. No complaints from me. I think I am already starting to like Brian as much as if not more then Matt and Darron and I liked them both a lot. And I have always liked Schroeder, he gets a lot of flack on this site but I think hes great and his length with the team is appreciated. He knows all the pain we have all gone through.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I know this is nitpicking but am I the only one who can't stand when they do the close-up-of-the-ball-being-pitched-to-a-Brewer-who-hits-a-home run angle? Know what I'm talking about? They started doing three or so years ago. At first I thought it was kinda interesting but they do it at least three or so times a game now and it's really annoying. I'd much rather see another replay of the ball movement or the kind of swing that connected on the homerun. How would you like to be the camera man who on every pitch of the game has to zoom up on the ball like that?

I'm really excited about the addition of Trenni...mostly because she knows what she's talking about and I couldn't stand the blonde woman that did Brewers Live last year (is she still on?) and partly because I would kill for her job.

I'm really excited about the addition of Trenni...mostly because she knows what she's talking about and I couldn't stand the blonde woman that did Brewers Live last year (is she still on?) and partly because I would kill for her job.

lol Ann Carroll. I'm sure she's still floating around somewhere in the FSN chain of networks. She did Vikings football for FSN in 2007 after the Brewers season was over. Trenni is definitely a step up from Carroll. She seems like she actually cares about the games, while Ann just kind of was there.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Bill is really all I remember (i'm 23) as a color guy and I've grow to like him over the years. Sure he has his go to phrases and analysis (point of contact/going the other way, NL/AL stereotypes), but overall he's good for the average fan knowledge wise. He's old school when it comes to sacrifice situations, stats and such, but hey most former players are. What I like about Bill is that emotion wise he's like all of us--gets upset when we do and gets excited when we do. If a couple of calls in a row go against the brewers, he likes to rant like we all are as we sit in front of our tvs. He's biased but not overally and for the most part tells it like he sees it.

I didn't like Brian last year very much. He bored me and really didn't add much to the telecast. I think he leaned on Bill too much to fill in commentary and such. So far this year it seems more like a natural conversation between the two. Not just--"Bill tell us what you mean by *blank*" He's very professional and has a good voice for pbp--unlike a certain pgp guy who does TV for a certain rival. Also, I like the fact that this is like a dream job for him and not a stepping stone.

I wish Brian would get a cool home run call though.

Goodnight now!

HAHA yeah... Ann Carroll, I dont even want to think about her. Trenni seems like she acctually is having FUN with her job which is refreshing. And I would also like to say that I really REALLY miss Daron going..

Goodnight Wisconsin

Sheets4theHOF wrote:

He's very professional and has a good voice for pbp--unlike a certain pgp guy who does TV for a certain rival. Also, I like the fact that this is like a dream job for him and not a stepping stone.

You can say it. The Cubs announcers are homers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Sheets4theHOF wrote:

He's very professional and has a good voice for pbp--unlike a certain pgp guy who does TV for a certain rival. Also, I like the fact that this is like a dream job for him and not a stepping stone.

You can say it. The Cubs announcers are homers.

Yeah no kidding. Seems like everyone has turned into a homer. But the Cubs,Twins and White Sox have to be the worst.

http://wgntv.trb.com/sports/custom/weblog/wgnsports/archives/DSCN0218_001.jpg

Sometimes, you just have to 'get things started' with the hit-and-run. Thankfully we have Lou!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I have to admit that I was a huge Matt V fan and also really like Darron so I was down on Brian last year. I do think he has gotten a lot better calling games but his interview with Mark A in the opener was just horrible. I like Bill and I love that he has been a lifelong Brewer and at times lets it show. The FSN feed was so bad durning opening day that I had to watch WGN for a bit but their guys were so bad and such homers that I switched back to FSN even if I could barely make out what was going on.

The Cubs announcers are much less homers than in the past. And its not like they are the Sox. And yes I'll still complain about Bill like I'd complain about anyone earning 6 figures for a 9 month job who basically gets all his info from production meetings.

I still can't stand the Cubs announcers. Maybe it is because I dont get to watch much baseball but listening to them worship all the Cubs players is brutal. Maybe it is my inability to hear a grown man called "The Riot," or how it seems like every game one of their players is the best in the league at something. One game they said Angel Pagan was the best at running and making a catch in the outfield in all of baseball. Then later they said something else about another player and my wife who is a huge fan made a comment about how the Cubs announcers think their players are the best at a lot of things.

As for the Brewers I dont get to watch a lot of their games but I have liked Brian and Bill is tolerable. One of the announcers did say something at the beginning of the game yesterday about the Giants having a good offense and I had to laugh.

Right now, even with whatever little annoyances there are, in my mind the broadcast nowadays is a big step up from the days of Braindead interviewing drunk dudes in the concourse in the second inning.

Davey almost needs to go to broadcasting school or something. He's real fine in interviews, but when he's ad-libbing, it's clear that he's just not comfortable at all. I like Brian Anderson, and Bill is what he is. Craig Coshun's come along way, and I think he's doing just fine. Trenni seems pretty polished as well.

Brian and Bill are fine. I'll admit I laughed when Bill questioned how Brian had such good memory and he replied "clean livin." I like Trenni but the pregame show with Davey and Craig is absolutely terrible. I mean really, here I am reading a Brewers messageboard and anything else about the Brewers yet I don't think for one second to even bother watching the pregame and postgame show. I am not expecting groundbreaking analysis but its just too awkward and clumsy for me to handle.

One complaint I do have is with the sound. It's hard to get a good read on how loud the crowd is and I wish they would pipe it in better when the crowd is roaring. That will get me more excited than some goofy home run call.

Yeah, watching Dave Nelson feels kind of bad. Like you're a gawker driving past an accident scene starting out the window, mouth agape.

There was one pretty excruciating one during the post-game yesterday when Coshun was talking about Weeks being tied with Kluszewski and Hornsby, and asked Davey which one of those two he played with. It then took a good 10 seconds for any kind of response. Some guys just aren't good at improving and thinking on their feet. Awkward is pretty accurate.

Isn't Cirillo supposed to be joining the broadcast team sometime?

Archived