Brewer Fanatic

After one year, what do you think of the TV broadcasts?

RobDeer 45

Just wondering what you guys thought of Brian and Bill and the rest of the crew after a year.

I really enjoy Brian. I think he is very profesional but yet gives just enough cheering to each broadcast. I know many of you have made comments about Bill, but I enjoy hearing his voice. The post game is another story. That can get really bad and I have a hard time watching Dave. I almost feel bad for him when he starts stumbling on his words. Do we know if this whole crew is coming back?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pre- and post-game shows were sometimes brutal, but it's better than nothing (like we Directv people used to get). I haven't heard or seen anything about Davey Nelson. I would assume Craig is back since he worked the dinner show a couple weeks ago. How about that new guy that did studio stuff once they got rid of Ann Whatsername? Haven't heard much from him (didn't hear much from him during the season either). I would guess Davey Nelson will not be back due to his issues last year. I really thought he would get better and more relaxed as the year went along but, at times, it seemed like he got worse. I noticed it was always trouble when it was live. But if it was some taped segment that they could re-do, he was fine and, actually, semi-informative.

Bill and Brian are just fine. Brian took a bit of time to get the hang of things but by the end of the season, he was pretty much with the program (he still needs some work on spontaneous calls, IMO, like home runs and close plays). I miss Daron and Matt but whatever. Bill is Bill and I take him for what he's worth. He may not BE knowledgeable but he makes himself SOUND like he is. And, combined, Bill and Brian are tons better than at least half the other announcers out there.

The camera crew is fine and, for the most part, nail a lot of close pictures of plays, etc. Maybe a few too many crowd shots, but that's not their fault. It's the director's and producer's fault (and FOX's for giving us this onslaught through their entire corporation of sports broadcasting.)

I'm pretty sure the sound techs have done an outstanding job, with minor hiccups here and there.

What other crew members would you like to know about? The cable layers? The guy who drives the broadcast truck around? The people who apply the makeup?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I really am a fan of BA, & I like Rock for what he is... and can admit some affinity for him due to his presence throughout all the crappy years. Trust me as an out-of-market fan, what the Brewers have in terms of broadcasting is superior to all but a handful of broadcasting teams. The groups I encounter in my market (Trailblazers & Mariners) can't hold a candle to the Brewers' boys (especially the Blazers... barf).

Fyi... the 'useless studio host' for the Mariners is Cara Capuano... I wonder if there's any relation.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think Brian is a huge improvement over Daron Sutton. (No one will ever compare to Matty)

Bill is great, but could stand to be more objective at times. If you have the Extra Innings package, you would realize that Schroeder is one of the best in the business.

The new studio guy is miles above Ann Carroll. She was terrible.

Davey Nelson is weak. He'll be back this year (he was at the winter warmup a couple of weeks ago).

The other reporter, Trina or Reina, she seems pretty knowledgeable. She should be a good addition.

If you have the Extra Innings package, you would realize that Schroeder is one of the best in the business.

Ditto - it's easy to assume that other (bigger) markets would have better broadcast announcers... but then you'd catch a game on TBS or WGN.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Overall it's pretty solid, particularly Brian. Bill is Bill, and I realize that he's probably better than a lot of guys, but he still drives me nuts with some of his sayings. You know, "tough pitch to take with two strikes" and stuff like that.

anderson has worn on me and i like him. When he came in he was so in contrast to matty v and daron sutton that it took a while to get used to. The rock is decent. He may not be the most exciting but he has knowledge and picks up alot of stuff that ba missed. Overall the broadcast is so much more professional that the wgn ones. I also was happy to see the end of bill's grill and all the other fluff that was a staple on broadcasts.

I think the broadcasts are fine. I feel Anderson did improve quite a bit after the first month or two of the season, which was to be expected. Schroeder brings a certain, something, to the games that I can appreciate.

I don't really care for Davey Nelson...he doesn't seem to be comfortable on camera and stumbles a lot. I guess his role in the broadcasts is so limited that it's really not a huge deal, though.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I don't like Brian at all. I like Bill at all. I want Davey to be good at all.

I'm an devoted XMer, and Bill and Brian are better than 80 to 90 percent of the radio guys! That's saying something because radio usually need to be sharper.

So even though i don't like Brian I must admit he does a very good job. Bring back Matt!

I like Brian a lot. He's still a little too reliant on cliches, but it was his first year doing MLB. Sometimes he tried to make references like Vasgersian did, but Rock just doesn't pick up on them very well. I remember one particularly painful one involving Caddyshack.

Jeff Greyson is the new studio guy right?

I'm so used to listening to Jim & Bob that Brian & Bill just don't measure up for me. Schroeder does all right but I'm sure there are plenty of former players that could do better. BA for me, like some others is too dry and doesn't seem to get into the game enough.

But then, does it really matter much when it's Brewers baseball? I'd listen if it were Bob Newhart and Bobcat Goldthwait calling the game.

I thoroughly enjoyed Sutton but usually because he provided entertainment when we were getting crushed. Now that the Brewers are good, Anderson's understated delivery is perfect.

On a side note, I ran into Ann Carroll at Twinsfest last weekend. You can't believe how attractive and personable she is in person. I felt bad about my opinion of her last summer.

Brian works with Bill a whole lot better than Sutton did. If Brian improves, they could be a pretty solid team. For me, Brian was too much golf and too little baseball in his references. I also hope he gets a bit more exited as he gets more used to the team.

I really miss Darren. I felt he brought an element of fun to the broadcasts and thought he and Bill clicked very well. Brian is a bit too dry for my taste but he did grow on me a bit as the year progressed. As for Davey; I love him for all the wrong reasons. He struggles through his broadcasts--especially the live bits--but he just seems to me like the guy next door you have a beer with and watch the game. His uncomfortableness (just made up that word) is refreshing to me in the day of broadcasters that care more about their careers than what team they may be covering.

A side note on Bill: Absolutely love it when he gets ticked at an ump and goes off on a rant....funny, funny stuff to me.

I love BA. Love his style, of letting the game talk instead of himself, and getting excited when it warrants it.

Favorite call of the year (despite the outcome of the game...)

Scroll down to September 3rd, Counsell's 3 run triple

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived