Brewer Fanatic

Position for LH throwers

DrWood
I know it would be very hard to make those long throws after a long move for a 3b who throws LH. I understand less why a LH thrower couldn't play SS (still hard on the play in the hole, though should be easier for the DP) or 2b (seems neutral to me) or C (seems pretty neutral to me, too, batter isn't going to commit interference on a steal attempt--do basestealers do better with a LH batter hitting?).

In my playing days, I knew a few very successful left-handed catchers, I think it is mostly that lefties aren't taught the position as kids and its kind of hard to find left handed catchers mitts. It is hard to get around a right handed hitter to throw out a base-stealer at third as a lefty though. I really disagree about 2nd and short. It would be nearly impossible to turn a double-play from second base as a lefty and at both positions you would have to completely reposition your body after each groundball for the throw to first. I guess it would be possible to turn a double play as a lefty from short, but the footwork would be really weird and lead you into the path of the runner way more than a righty.

If you have a strong left arm, coaches are going to get you on the mound sooner rather than later.

A LH SS? Every ball hit to his right would be an automatic infield single, and completing a 4-6-3 double play would involve an off-balance throw each time. A RH SS doesn't have to spin his body on balls in the hole, and isn't throwing across his body to complete the double-play, having the ability to get much more on the ball.

A baseball diamond is set up for RH throwers. All throws eventually (in theory) travel to first base, of which it is extremely beneficial for a 3B, SS and 2B to be RH.

I've often thought about playing left-handed baseball/softball in which first base would actually be third just for kicks. Like a Mac, I would only be appeasing 5% of the population.

As Mass noted, if a LH has a strong enough arm, he's going to be given every opportunity to fail as a pitcher before he's stuck behind the plate, and by then that pitcher would be 43 years old, so it would probably be too late to find out.

First base is the only position on the field where defensively it's beneficial to be LH, and even that has nowhere near the benefit (and need) of being RH at the other IF positions.

Archived