Brewer Fanatic

Gallardo: Better than Sheets?

adambr2

Nolan Ryan - Hall of Fame pitcher, played 27 years in the bigs, with 324 wins, 5,000 strikeouts and a career whip of 1.25. And all that with no control. As I have stated many times before. BFN -- Tough room.

His control was pretty bad, but his stuff was also consistently unhittable. When he hit the zone, it went past the guy for a strike, and when he didn't the guy walked. He dominated two legs of the 3TO.

his 1.25 WHIP was good...but i would guess that 50% of the baserunners he allowed were through walk..

Pretty close, with a 1.247 WHIP, he walked 2795 men in 5386 IP, a rate of .52 per inning vs .73 hits.

I would definitely imagine a guy who led the minors in K's is quite the prospect, but if we're going to compare Sheets to anyone, I want to compare him to Inman. He goes almost the entire year without giving up a K, which I would compare to Sheets' propensity for making people fight for a walk (and I know it was luck with Inman to a degree, but I would say it was more BAD muck that he gave up three on the season). In the end, however, Sheets is a pitcher unlike any other in the league. His K/BB is....unbelievable. Clemens is the only one I would compare Sheets to...and that's a Clemens WITHOUT a steroid cloud. Our golden boy went through the Olympic drug trials. Not even Turnbow could get get by the testing. In the end, however, considering the UPSIDE, I wouldn't be completely surprised if Gallardo was the one to lead us to the postseason, and not Sheets, if not only because of his contract's length, but simply because Gallardo's rise hearkens back to a certain Red Sox pitcher who once pitched a bunch of rag taggers known as the Marlins past the mighty Yanks.

Here's why I wouldn't trade Gallardo for anyone:

Remember, this is my opinion, and I have no statistical evidence to back it up, but there have been several occasions where gut feelings have proven true.

Odds that:

He is a total bust:

1:8

That he will pitch in the majors:

I am 99.99% sure he will throw at least 1 major league pitch.

that he will be a quality major leaguer:

1:1.115

That he will be a star:

1:1.4

That he will be a superstar:

1:1.8

That he will be a once in a generation difference maker:

1:7

I know that these odds mean nothing, but man, thus far in his career, I have no bad feelings, no reservations, and a ton of good vibes. He can flat out pitch. I have the feeling that he could be a straight power pitcher if he wanted, but he is too good of a pitcher to be so one dementional. He has the potential (and before you write your hate mail to me, remember that I said potential) to be far better than Sheets due to his versitility. Sheets can occasionally top 100 mph, and Gallardo maxes out at 96, but Sheets only throws 2 pitches, and the occasional changeup and two seamer. Gallardo has 4 pitches he throws regularly for strikes.

Not exactly a Gallardo - Sheets comparison, but THT put this article together looking at Yo, Phillip Hughes and Homer Bailey.

www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/hughes-bailey-and-gallardo/

They are giving Bailey the edge in talent and skill, Hughes the edge being most likely to have early success (if he's with the Yankees, why not), and Gallardo's strength is his poise on the mound. Is their concern that he's racked up more innings any one else's?

they give yo a great rookie season in the bigs...i'd love for that to happen...

and i've seen yo hit 94 with my own eyes...honestly, rumors like his lack of a fastball spread like crazy on the internet and are never verified!

That article makes it sound like Gallardo is the best of the three to me. Hughes' injury problems were mentioned, as was Bailey's lack of control.

Gallardo's "risk" was that he has pitched more innings without getting injured? I see that as a positive. Great endurance and strong arm. And they make it sound like being able to get hitters out with other pitches than his fastball is a bad thing. He's mature, has a well rounded set of pitches that can all be used to get hitters out, and he can go deep into games. Sounds like a future HOFer, no joke.

Very pleased with their projections for him as well.

revenge, here you go:

LINK

Click the link and then select June 17th for the date. Its the middle game, the all-star game.

Also, as I was looking this up I was reminded of how Gallardo led the minor leagues in K's, yet in the above article they mentioned his fastball/stuff as being not as good as Bailey and Hughes.

Archived