Brewer Fanatic

Did anyone else watch the Royal Rumble last night? (spoilers)

And That

I just want to open up the topic for a little bit of conversation with the following thoughts:

-I was expecting a lot, lot more from the Orton/Hardy match. Hardy did all he could, IMO. The ending was weak and Orton was being too stiff about almost all the spots. It ended about 10 minutes sooner than it should have. I'm not often one to complain about the shortness of matches. This one could have been pretty epic.

-The Jericho/JBL match was also disappointing. I'm not sure why JBL was falling over for most of the match, and Jericho did a poor job wrapping the cord around JBL's neck at the end. The end of this match was lighter than the end of the match where JBL strung Jericho up on the lighting tower. Jericho was a bloody mess... it seems as though JBL was the guy that let the match down.

-Flair looked slow and flaccid the whole match against MVP. I'm a huge fan of MVP's future and Flair made him look like he was jobbing at some points. The final figure four took like 10 seconds to put in. Ridiculous.

-Edge and Mysterio was decent PPV quality. It deserved the slot it got.

-Santino Marella is one of the more entertaining personalities in quite some time. His hepatitis line during the in-ring with Maria and Ashley was gut-busting funny and his entrance into the rumble itself was awesome. Big props to that guy. I hope he keeps getting bigger pushes. Teaming him with Carlito is a potentially ingenious idea.

-The rumble was pretty good. Without getting into specifics, the people I was watching it with all loved the Bob Holly spots. Morrison lasted a pretty long time. For some reason, Shelton Benjamin keeps getting disrespected. Snuka vs. Piper was great stiff work by both. Cena coming out at the end was totally out of the blue. I have to admit that I got a little closer to the edge of my seat when it was HHH vs. Batista vs. Cena at the end.

I didn't see it, but I read the results. Who eliminated Wisconsin's own Hornswoggle? Nobody. He should be going to Wrestlemania. =-) I hope they close that loophole tonight on Raw, but they probably won't.

Flair should have won by DQ or countout over MVP. Making MVP tap out made him look weak. MVP has a much brighter future than Ric Flair in this point of his career.

Finally, why in the world is Chavo Guerrero ECW champ? How weak does that make ECW look? With the exception of his Los Guerrero run with Eddie, Chavo has been a bottom-feeder in WWE for years.

WWE pay-per-views are a waste of money. I think its ridiculous that a pay per view match would end in a disqualification, but you can bet that at least one per event ends that way. I used to watch them back in the days when they only had 4 per year. Those were much better, because they had months to build up rivalries, and they didnt have the same match 3 pay per views in a row. Plus, you can bet they'll be at least 2 rematches the next night on RAW

I didn't watch it, but based on your comments it goes back to something I have said for a long time: in order for wrestling to be successful it needs to have at least some element of believability to it. Flair over MVP - not believable. Kind of like Mysterio winning the rumble a couple of years ago from the #1 or #2 position - not believable. Flair needs to become a full-time manager and leave the ring. He has no ring skills left, but great mic skills, which makes him perfect for a manager or... the GM role.

I actually think it's a bad idea for the winner of the Rumble to get the title shot at Wrestlemania. I've always loved the Rumble, but having the winner go to WM takes away any element of an upset or surprise winner. I'm fine with them getting a title shot at the next PPV, but with the winner going to WM it means that only about 4 or 5 guys realistically will win it.

Jericho did a poor job wrapping the cord around JBL's neck at the end.

That is one of the funniest things I have read in a while.

"the lynching could have been better . . . ."

Ahh wrastlin'

I miss the "Claw"

http://prettyboycolt.com/images/baron_twoClaws.jpg

Hey! Now that I look at that, Baron von Raschke looks a lot like Herc from The Wire!

I saw it, and the end of the JBL/Jericho match shows just how fake wrestling can appear at times. It might have had something to do with the wrestlers, in that JBL hasn't really wrestled in 2 years and Jericho just came back...but at the end Jericho went to bulldog JBL to setup his crazy lionsault...well he completely missed JBL with the bulldog, yet JBL just fell over anyway. The crowd booed loudly and it was hilarious. You would have thought they could have let JBL get up, then try it again or think of something to do, but it just looked awful. I was disappointed by almost every match on the show. The Rumble was OK, but you knew when Cena came out, he had to win it. WWE has some issues with him, it seems as though they can't possibly let anyone else have the title. I think a lot of fans are getting tired of him, hence the booing that continues to grow.

I've been saying for like 3 years that I was going to stop watching wrestling....and yet I continue to watch it....sad...

Archived