Brewer Fanatic

Update on Status of Mark Rogers' Injury and Rehab Outing

bnedaddy

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Welcome aboard.

This is from the Journal Sentinel July 17th:

Rogers ailing: Class A Brevard County right-hander Mark Rogers, the Brewers' first-round draft pick in 2005, was placed on the seven-day DL with tightness in the front of his shoulder. Melvin said Rogers was expected to miss three starts.

"It's a cautionary thing," Melvin said. "It doesn't appear to be serious."

Selected out of high school in Maine, Rogers throws his fastball in the mid- to high 90-mph range and has a sharp-breaking curveball but has had command problems while adjusting his pitching mechanics. In 16 games with Brevard, he is 1-2 with a 5.07 ERA, 53 walks and 96 strikeouts in 71 innings.

Rogers is in Maryvale doing his rehab, not with Brevard. Other than that, no new updates.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

sports.mainetoday.com/pro...gers.shtml

Rogers' progress stalled as he nurses sore shoulder

By PAUL BETIT, Portland Press Herald Writer

A sore shoulder has taken Mark Rogers off the mound.

Rogers, a 20-year-old right-hander from Orr's Island, returned to the Milwaukee Brewers' training complex in Maryvale, Ariz., on July 26 after his right shoulder stiffened up while he was pitching for the Brevard County Manatees of the Class A Florida State League.

"He got a little out of sync and started flinging a couple of balls, and he felt some stiffness in the shoulder," said Jim Rooney, the Milwaukee Brewers' coordinator of minor-league pitching. "Everything checked out good, but we backed him (off) a little bit."

According to Rooney, Rogers' move to Arizona is temporary.

"For the sake of just taking care of him as best as we can, we felt it would be better for (Rogers) to go to our spring training complex," he said. "We felt if he had individual attention we could expedite the process and get him back on the mound."

Rogers received the fifth-largest bonus in club history when he signed for $2.2 million after the Brewers made him the fifth pick in the 2004 draft following his senior year at Mt. Ararat High School.

In March, Rogers was ranked 44th on Baseball America's list of top prospects.

"Everything (was) really going well." Rogers said in a recent telephone interview. "I felt very comfortable with my mechanics. I was going six or seven innings every game. I was just throwing strikes. Then, my shoulder started barking at me.

"It was nothing major, just a little inflammation in my shoulder. I know exactly what it is, and we're treating it conservatively."

According to Rooney, Milwaukee is satisfied with the progress Rogers had made since becoming a professional.

"He went through a string of six to eight starts where he just dominated," Rooney said.

In 16 starts with the Manatees, Milwaukee's top Class A team, Rogers has a 1-2 record with a 5.07 earned-run average. In 71 innings, he has 96 strikeouts - the second-highest total on the team - with 53 walks and 12 wild pitches.

Rogers expects to return to Florida at the end of the week after he makes a rehab start Tuesday night in the Arizona Rookie League.

"After I return to Florida, I should make two or three more starts (before the season ends)," Rogers said.

"He's doing his throwing program," said Rooney, who just completed a five-week tour of the Brewers' minor-league teams. "From the reports I'm getting, everything is fine. Everything's moving ahead smoothly and everybody's very happy."

wow, a post in the minor league thread by me! What is the world coming to? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I'm really holding out hope that Rogers will be able to come back. I had my doubts about drafting a High School pitcher out of Maine as a first round pick in 2004. I really hope he doesn't turn into another J.M. Gold or Nick Neugey.

I really need to read this minor league forum more often. Interesting stuff!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Rogers pitched one inning last night for rookie league Arizona. I believe this is his only rehab start and should be back in the Bevard rotation shortly. This is very good news!! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/happy.gif

Here?s the log report on Rogers?s start against the Rangers. He pitched to 4 batters and while he didn?t allow a hit the inning had the earmark of another typical outing.

Top First

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Walk.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Called out on strikes

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Fly out to center field

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Marcus Lemon steals (1) 2nd base.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Wild pitch by Mark Rogers, Marcus Lemon to 3rd.

&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp Called out on strikes

Final: Rangers win 9-7

Brewer Fanatic Staff

www.timesrecord.com/websi...endocument

Rogers' rehab goes 'really well'

Former Mt. Ararat standout and Brewers' prospect pitches an inning after a month off due to shoulder soreness

Marc_Meyers@TimesRecord.Com (Maine)

For the first time in more than a month, Milwaukee Brewers' pitching prospect Mark Rogers of Orr's Island faced batters in a rehab stint with the Rookie League's Arizona Brewers on Tuesday.

According to the former Mt. Ararat High School standout, things went "really well."

"I'm excited to get back out there," said the 20-year-old right-hander. "I'll throw in the bullpen again. As long as that goes well, I see myself getting out of here some time next week."

After spending the season with the Florida State League's Brevard County (Fla.) Manatees, Rogers went on the disabled list shortly after the All-Star Break (early July) for soreness in his shoulder.

Milwaukee Brewers' director of scouting Jack Zduriencik said Rogers had some tendinitis in his shoulder. The decision to send the Brewers' top pick in the 2004 Major League Baseball Draft to Arizona was "for precautionary reasons."

"Mark is very close to being back," said Zduriencik. "He's on our throwing program and should be ready some time next week."

Although Rogers was frustrated by the time off, he said he's been working with a "great" physical therapist in Arizona.

"We just wanted to treat it conservatively," he said. "There was some inflammation. We're taking care of it."

The recovery came to a height on Tuesday when he took the mound for an inning against the Arizona Rangers. After opening with a walk, Rogers set down the next three batters ? two by strikeout. The lone batter to put the ball in play was Randall Simon, a seven-year Major Leaguer who recently signed with the Texas Rangers and was doing a rehab start. Simon popped out.

As long as Rogers doesn't experience any soreness during a bullpen session, he should be headed back to Brevard County to finish out the season. Florida State League play ends on Sept. 3.

"Hopefully, I'll get back and make two or three more starts," he said.

Entering this season, Rogers was still working on adjusting his mechanics to take stress off the shoulder.

"They're pretty much ironed out," he said. "There's been a lot of changes over the last couple of years to my arm and I'm sure a lot of it had to do with that."

Rogers is 1-2 with the Manatees with a 5.07 earned-run average, 96 strikeouts and 53 walks through 16 starts and 71 innings pitched.

Prior to the sore shoulder, Rogers went on a stretch of three starts in June with 20.2 innings pitched, five hits allowed, eight walks and 29 strikeouts.

"I went on a real good run," he said.

Rogers' progress is pleasing to Zduriencik.

"He's had some excellent games this summer and continues to make progress with his command and control, still throwing with excellent velocity and breaking stuff," said Zduriencik. "Great kid, great worker ... looking for big things from Mark as we always have been."

• 1 month later...
I didn't see this posted elsewhere, and I just remembered it myself, but during last night's game Jim Powell mentioned that Mark Rogers has been sent home for the winter and will not participate in the instructional league or during any winter development leagues due to shoulder soreness. There has not been any structural damage reported in any of the tests they have conducted, including a few MRIs, so the Brewers hope a long winter's rest will be what Rogers' needs to return at 100% next spring.

ok, i'm getting frustrated with this argument..

yes, homer bailey has performed very well in the minors, but his success in the majors is equal to mark rogers...rogers still has tons of potential, so while he may not seem to be the same prospect as Bailey, he still has a chance at being special..

in other words...can we drop the bailey comp until Homer is performing in the majors?

• 3 weeks later...

www.minorleaguebaseball.c...;fext=.jsp

Arizona Instructional League Notebook

By Jonathan Mayo / MLB.com

It was right around the end of May that Mark Rogers really started feeling good. Soon after that, he felt really, really bad.

The Brewers' first-round pick (fifth overall) in 2004 has always had unbelievable power stuff, with a fastball that stays in the upper 90s late into games. But his delivery needed to be completely reworked and his command has been an issue pretty much since he signed.

But at the end of May with Brevard County in the Florida State League, things started to click for the Maine native. With the exception of one bad start at the very end of the month, Rogers put together the best stretch of pitching he's had since he joined the Brewers organization. Over four starts -- taking out that one clunker -- Rogers went 27 2/3 innings (pitching into the seventh all four times), gave up just 10 hits, walked 11 and struck out 35. Even though June ended poorly, he still finished the month with a 2.28 ERA and a .143 opponents' batting average.

"When I went through that stretch, I felt confident," Rogers said. "I was throwing everything for strikes. I was happy, I was finally getting control of my mechanics, and then it hit me like a ton of bricks."

It was something that didn't feel quite right in his shoulder, starting right after the FSL All-Star break. He figured it was nothing, a little stiffness due to the layoff. When it persisted, he was shut down with inflammation, and that's when he really started to get worried.

"At that point, I was down in the dumps and I was really concerned with what it could be," Rogers said. "There's a part of me that's relieved it wasn't worse than it was."

Rogers didn't pitch again, save for a very brief appearance in the rookie-level Arizona League. But he didn't need surgery, instead working hard the rest of the season and into instructs to build up his shoulder and help ensure he doesn't have a repeat in 2007.

"As long as I keep the muscles around area strong, it'll stop that pinching that was going on," Rogers said. "It's been a long process."

That process hasn't involved any throwing. At instructs, he goes to all the meetings with the other participants in camp, stretches and does the regular fielding drills with all the pitchers. Then he goes his own way to spend hour after hour working on his conditioning.

The next step comes on Nov. 3, when Rogers heads to Milwaukee to meet with the team physician. If he's medically cleared, he'll head back to Arizona and begin a throwing program which hopefully will have him ready to go in time for Spring Training.

"I'm cautiously optimistic about that," Rogers said. "My arm feels a ton better already. It really feels strong. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll be excited to be throwing again. You take so much for granted until you have to be on the sidelines watching."

With that in mind, Rogers knows he's in it for the long haul. He'll head back to Maine for the holidays, but he knows that Maryvale, Ariz., is his home this offseason.

"My main objective is to get healthy," Rogers said. "As long as I have to be here, I'll be here. They're leading me in the right direction."

Archived