Brewer Fanatic

Biggest Impact of New Players This Year...

razzzorsharp
Maybe it is just me but I'd take Turnbow over Howry everyday. I continue to say this but it needs to be said, Turnbow was the most dominating reliever over the first half of last year. His OPSA was almost .200 points HIGHER than the OPSA of Coco while also compiling similar stats. The problem with Turnbow last year wasn't Yost, however, it was Matt Wise. I have always been a big fan of his filthy changeup (and I do not look forward to seeing my Brewz looking foolish flailing at it next year in the NLCS vs. the Mets) but when he went through his tribulations last year, the burden of those innings fell on T-Bow. When they decided to make Villy a starter, that innings burden fell on T-Bow, as well. And I know this may sound borderline insane, but I would actually be attempting to resign T-Bow right now for two more years, before he puts up a sub-2.00 ERA and follows Gagne towards the supermarkets (LA/NY/CHI).

To answer the question, I'll say Cameron 1, Riske 2. Cameron's impact is that Hall and Braun play more fitting positions and Cameron also upgrades defense in CF, not to mention the potential offensive boost over Menchkins in terms of OBP and speed and the boost that Cameron's numbers may take going from a pitchers park to a neutral/hitters park.

Riske I think will be our most consistent guy out of the pen. I see him pitching in a lot of 7th & 8th innings in tight situations. I'd like to see him as the main guy who replaces Turnbow when he walks the first two batters in the 8th. Not trying to slam Turnbow either, he should give us lots of great outings and hopefully his blowups will be minimalized with our new depth.

All I gotta say is this has been a fun thread to read. You all bring a lot of knowledge and very sharp opinions to this site, and for that, I thank you. I'll have to go with Gagne. Doug Melvin is a genius to sign this kid to one year. Like someone said earlier, this is his 2nd year back from surgery and he's feeling great. Gagne is out to prove to everyone that he's still a prime closer and he'll be seeking the mass bling. Can you say....Scott Boras? Gagne can, thus resulting in Gagne absolutely raking this year.

Maybe it is just me but I'd take Turnbow over Howry everyday. I continue to say this but it needs to be said, Turnbow was the most dominating reliever over the first half of last year. His OPSA was almost .200 points HIGHER than the OPSA of Coco while also compiling similar stats. The problem with Turnbow last year wasn't Yost, however, it was Matt Wise. I have always been a big fan of his filthy changeup (and I do not look forward to seeing my Brewz looking foolish flailing at it next year in the NLCS vs. the Mets) but when he went through his tribulations last year, the burden of those innings fell on T-Bow. When they decided to make Villy a starter, that innings burden fell on T-Bow, as well. And I know this may sound borderline insane, but I would actually be attempting to resign T-Bow right now for two more years, before he puts up a sub-2.00 ERA and follows Gagne towards the supermarkets (LA/NY/CHI).

I think this is really plausible. I also believe that with less work, Turnbow is gonna turn monster again. Once we realize how to use him he might rewrite the definition of filthy. Then when he leaves Milwaukee because he was treated so poorly by the fans, flipping us off will mean something. I can only hope.

Brilliant stuff Bush.

OK I will go out on a limb and say the most important new component for the Brewers is Ted Simmons. Anyone who heard him on the air during a game last year realizes how high he is on Hardy, Prince and Braun. He gave the complete thumbs up to get Cammeron. When Simmons came over in 81 the Crew made it to the playoffs the next two years and only years. Simmons is beloved by Ned so the bad moves Ned makes so many complain about will be done in front of a man Nedly has the utmost respect for and almost universally known for his indept intellect. Will the bad moves be lessened? Will ABC ball be played more and the Brewers will score more runs outside of HR's? This is a great opportunity this year and Ted Simmons will be involved in many aspects.

"Isn't that only counting the number of ER, though? I'd bet Turnbow let waaayy more inherited runners score than Howry.'

You beat me to this one, TLB.

And guess what? When you give up more than 1 earned run in your appearance, that makes your ERA skyrocket! 9 of those 15 times last year, he gave up 2 earnies or more. Those'll turn close games, tie games, into blowout losses, quick.

Howry gave up 2 earnies or more, letting the game he was supposed to be preserving, get away, only 5 times, of course a 4-game swing, which can help explain why Howry with his 3.32 ERA was more effective more often than 'Bow.

"So if this fruit's a Brewer's fan, his ass gotta be from Wisconsin...(or Chicago)."

I think my perfect offseason this year would only have involved Cordero agreeing to sign for 3 seasons at $35+ mil, and us magically finding a C with a .375 OBP. Since that's imaginary, I think each need was addressed - at worst - adequately. Can a GM do much worse than that, given obvious financial limitations?

We made a positive move in CF, and one at 3B, and made a positive move in that what skill Braun does have defensively is being more efficiently used. The bullpen is deeper than it has been in years, with a real chance to outperform moderate guesstimates. I'd be shocked if the Brewers don't win 85 games even with any concerns about position shifts or manager or bullpen. I think 85 was totally realistic for last year. If this team can't win 90 games this year, I'd feel equally disappointed.

If we still had Cordero, don't you think the 'experts' would be picking us as the #1? That's funny to think about, since we have a nasty guy who could work late innings starting off this year in AAA. And he's a lefty.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Definitely Cameron because he'll bring us 3 wins just on defense alone with the defensive switches.

I know I'm in the minority, but I've always felt that outfield defense was a bit overrated.

I can't imagine there being 3 specific losses this season that become wins because Cameron makes a play after being brought in or moved as a defensive switch that wouldn't have been made by the player he replaced.

Definitely Cameron because he'll bring us 3 wins just on defense alone with the defensive switches.
I know I'm in the minority, but I've always felt that outfield defense was a bit overrated.

I can't imagine there being 3 specific losses this season that become wins because Cameron makes a play after being brought in or moved as a defensive switch that wouldn't have been made by the player he replaced.

Hall was statistically the worst CF in baseball last year according to many systems, Braun was the worst per inning at 3B. The series of defensive moves that happen because of the Cameron signing should be in the order of 30 runs saved which is 3 wins.

That might seem high but it is actually a conservative estimate. Last year Hall was in the order of 5-10 runs below average. Braun was round 30 below average and Cameron was 5-10 or so above average. So last year he would have saved the team roughly 40 runs with the moves assuming Braun and Hall were league average. If you assume they combine for -10 runs you come up with 30 runs saved. If Cameron goes back to being a great fielder like in 2006 instead of just a good one like 2007 or if Braun or Hall are average or above average at their positions it could be more than 30 runs saved.

Its a close call for me between Cameron and Gagne. If Gagne looks close to his form in LA or even as good as he was in the first half of last year in Texas its him. If he looks like crap its Cameron because of his stellar D in CF and he will bring something to the plate as well.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived