Brewer Fanatic

Archive Talkin' Brewers with Jim Powell - 2/2/08 Edition

trwi7
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ideally Ned would like to break camp with 12 pitchers and 13 position players. 5 starters, 5 solid righties out of the pen and 2 lefties out of the pen. Shouse and then either Stetter or Choate if they have good springs. All questions will be answered during ST.

Stetter or Choate? Puke. Is it in the teams rules somewhere that we have to have a bad 12th pitcher on our staff?

I thought Stetter was pretty good last year and I would be comfortable with him as our 2nd LOOGY.

Are you basing that on the 6 innings he pitched in the majors in september last year? He had a 4.48 ERA in AAA, that's not that impressive.

I don't know why we need a 2cnd LOOGY. I'm not confident Yost would get him in the best matchups anyway. We should just go with the best 12 pitchers we have without caring about what side they throw the ball from. (excluding something like keeping Parra in AAA to keep him stretched out as obviously he is one of our 12 best but it's better long term to keep him in AAA.)

I think the first caller was drunk.

Wow, did I sound that bad?http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/tongue.gif

"His whole life is a fantasy camp. People should plunk down $2000 to live like him for a week. Sleep, do nothing, fall ass-backwards into money, mooch food off your neighbors and have sex without dating... THAT'S a fantasy camp."

Same old Ned Yost. He never wants to admit mistakes. He can't defend his decisions. He continues to use stupid cliches about how every fan has an opinion and how everyone thinks managing is easy, blah, blah, blah . . .

The season hasn't even started yet, and I am already tired of listening to his nonsense. Can they just please make Ted Simmons the manager and get this over with now?

By the way, what happened to that official venting thread?

I thought Stetter was pretty good last year and I would be comfortable with him as our 2nd LOOGY.
Are you basing that on the 6 innings he pitched in the majors in september last year? He had a 4.48 ERA in AAA, that's not that impressive.
In the Arizona Fall League, Stetter faced 22 LH batters -- he allowed one hit against them, he walked one of them, and the other batters went 0-for-20 with 15 K's.

If we could trust Yost to use him as a LOOGY in the strictest sense, there's no better candidate. That's a big IF.

Same old Ned Yost. He never wants to admit mistakes. He can't defend his decisions. He continues to use stupid cliches about how every fan has an opinion

and how everyone thinks managing is easy, blah, blah, blah . . .

Gee, is describing bringing in Gabe Kapler because "he is a winner" a cliche? Why not talk about his ability to hit, defend, how he is in great shape or something?

I give credit to Jim Powell for a good job. He managed to ask tough questions or make observations that might get tense while keeping the whole thing flowing and enjoyable. When some guy asked the Nedster whether he is managing for the job, and he answered "no," Powell pointed out that all managers are managing for their jobs.

Kendall sounded positive. Feels like 21 and got laser surgery on his eyes.

Formerly AKA Pete

I just finished up a Dennis Krause interview with Doug Melvin on his Time Warner Sports show, and it had some great stuff on it which I think I will just meld into this conversation. In regard to Yost, it is obvious that Melvin does not have a ton of trust in his game to game abilities. Melvin stated that this should be an easy club to manage, and that his moves in the offseason have been done with partially in mind. I think Melvin respects Yost's ability to keep players on an even keel, but that is about it. Simmons is definitely a Kuehn-in-waiting (hopefully some get that reference).

Other comments that were interesting included Melvin stating that he was told by other GM's that Kendell was seen as a big reason for Haren's success in Oakland. Melvin said that Estrada was not regarded as a good game-caller for pitchers with marginal stuff - which to me signals Bush and Capuano, and harkens me back to the comment Estrada made about having a good relationship with the pitchers that contributed down the stretch. Also, Weeks was talked up as having a breakout year, Corey Hart was lauded for his defensive abilities, and JJ Hardy's strike zone judgement was questioned. Also, Melvin mentioned that he wanted to recoup the pitching prospects he has given away if there is any trade coming up before the season starts. Overall, a really good interview that restored some of my "In Doug I trust" feelings that have been eroding away over the last 18 months or so.

In regard to Yost, it is obvious that Melvin does not have a ton of trust in his game to game abilities. Melvin stated that this should be an easy club to manage, and that his moves in the offseason have been done with partially in mind. I think Melvin respects Yost's ability to keep players on an even keel, but that is about it.

Is there a link for this interview? This is very interesting, I just want to see what Melvin actually said about Yost.

Yeah TCSM, I believe he came on at the start of the second hour or so. He was on around 4pm mark as I was driving to meet some friends. He sounded very upbeat about his Lasik, and said "He knows he can become a .300 hitter again after he had such a horrible year last year"

Archived