Brewer Fanatic

Rambo

sheetswannabe

I don't think Rambo's creators are particularly concerned. $18 million is likely enough to put it on a pace for $50 million domestic. And the Rambo/Stallone brand name is probably sufficient for at least the much overseas. Couple that with an excuse for a Rambo 4 movie DVD set and it's probably an overall winner financially.

As far as box office goes, just look at the grosses for Alvin & The Chipmunks. That's enough to shake anyone's confidence in the taste of the moviegoing audience.

Robert

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
As far as box office goes, just look at the grosses for Alvin & The Chipmunks. That's enough to shake anyone's confidence in the taste of the moviegoing audience.

Robert

Why? Why does it matter to some that their tastes fall outside the majority? It smacks of elitism. With all due respect Robert, I highly value and respect your opinion when it comes to film and literature, but you're awfully down on most anything that is "too mainstream".

Yes, by and large the best movies aren't necessarily the most expensive ones to make. But they are more likely to succeed. These people are, for the most part, in this to make money. Summer blockbusters and box office numbers are never going to force indy companies to stop making movies that go that much deeper than your typical action/horror/comedy fare that the big studios churn out, so I don't see the reason for the constant derision of these types of films.

Going to a movie is supposed to be fun, a diversion. That's how most people look at it. I greatly appreciate those films that force you to think rather than just glaze over and enjoy explosion after explosion, but there's nothing wrong with either type. If someone is being entertained, then it's doing it's job.

Look at Transformers, for example. Widely hated by anyone who considers themselves a movie "purist", yet with over 100,000 votes on IMDB, it's pulling down a 7.6. People like the cheesy predictable action flick or comedy, and it sells.

Sorry for the long rant. Robert, again, I do highly respect your opinion when it comes to film, but there's comments such as the one above in just about every thread that has to do with movies.

For what it's worth, I'll never watch Alvin and the Chipmunk$, not my bag, but I can understand why kids and parents who grew up on it would fork the 7 or 8 bucks to go see it.

Even as a kid I thought Alvin & the Chipmunks was really awful, so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with the property. Maybe I was being unduly harsh about a movie I haven't seen, but I think I'm on at least as solid of ground as saying Meet the Spartans looks awful.

Maybe on occasion I'm guilty of elitism, but I recall saying nice things about 300(!), Ratatouille, and Harry Potter this year, big mainstream hits all. I don't consider Black Book (a Paul Verhoeven film) or Hot Fuzz particularly high brow either, and those were two of my favorites of the year. I'll probably have some very nice things to say about the new Bourne movie once I watch it on DVD too. And I don't think I was that harsh on Transformers, Spider-Man 3, and POTC3. I recall my main criticism of Live Free or Die Hard was that I thought it strayed a bit far from "blue collar cop in over his head" into generic action movie/superhero territory. But I watched all of them with an open mind and saw three in a theater. And you're not going to run into a bigger Batman fanboy than me.

Edit: But hey, we can all drift into bad habits. I think we can all agree that box office isn't necessarily indicative of quality, but I understand the idea of film just taking you away for 2 hours. One of my favorite movies, Sullivan's Travels, makes a great point about that as well. I'll take better care to avoid the ad hominem.

Robert

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

But hey, we can all drift into bad habits. I think we can all agree that box office isn't necessarily indicative of quality, but I understand the idea of film just taking you away for 2 hours. One of my favorite movies, Sullivan's Travels, makes a great point about that as well. I'll take better care to avoid the ad hominem.

I hope that my point wasn't taken as being directed solely at your post. I guess it was just the one that spurred me into a long winded rant. I agree with a lot of what you're saying, and me personally, I don't take offense, but I know a fair number of other posters in the past have complained or spoke of the "elitist" atmosphere around here concerning film and book. I love talking movies, as a lot of people do, and I think there'd be more movie talk around these parts if people didn't feel like there were an "us against them" vibe going on, even if it's more imagined than truth.

I was a little too harsh with my statement that you're harsh on "most anything mainstream", as you pointed out the big studio movies that came out this year that you enjoyed. I think one thing you hit on with Transformers was your statement that "there's something to be said for a movie that aims low but squarely hits its mark". I think when big studios sink as much money as they do into stuff like Transformers, Die Hard, Spider Man, etc, they're taking less risk by aiming for the middle ground.

For what it's worth, I watched Donnie Darko for the first time the other night on (gulp!) the Sundance Channel, and loved it, right up until the end. What happened to Donnie didn't bother me, it was how it happened. I understand the point, but I felt it was like a cop-out after an hour 40 minutes of a great movie.

As I've been off work since the beginning of November, I've had the opportunity to catch a lot of movies I otherwise wouldn't have the time or inclination to watch.

And I'm looking forward to seeing this Rambo film as well!

Archived